Question

Ruud Thermostat will not connect.

• 6 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I changed from Mediacom internet to T-Mobile internet so I had to reset the wifi on my Ruud thermostat to be able to display the current weather on the thermostat and to use the Econet app. I am having a problem of not being able to connect to the wifi that has an internet connection. I called Ruud/Rheem for help. Went through the steps but would always lose the connection in the final step. I was told if the steps we went through did not work, it was something on T-Mobile’s end that was causing the problem. I had no problem setting up the thermostat when I had Medicom. Any suggestions?

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Your thermostat probably only works on 2.4G wifi. That causes problems with default wifi settings on TMO router because the 5 and 2.4G share the same SSID. This results in your phone connecting to the 5G wifi and your thermostat app trying to connect to 5G when it only works on 2.4G

Try separating the 2.4 and 5G wifi to two different SSIDs and makes sure you phone is connected to the 2.4G before setting up your thermostat. Once you finish setup and thermostat is working, then you can switch your phone back to 5G. Both the Nokia and Arcadyan routers allow you to separate the channels.

If the above doesn’t work, then your thermostat may not support the default security protocol and will need to connect Ruud to ask what the security protocol needs to be.

Badge

Than you for your suggestion but it didn’t work. I always get the same message that the settings (on the thermostat’s network) have been successfully configured but the wifi module has lost the connection. Any other thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Than you for your suggestion but it didn’t work. I always get the same message that the settings (on the thermostat’s network) have been successfully configured but the wifi module has lost the connection. Any other thoughts?

It looks like half of your problem is solved. If wifi is found but not able to connect then it would point to either your wifi standard (AX, N, AC, etc) or your security setting (WPA, WEP, etc.) or both. I would lookup the wifi spec of your thermostat, then check that against what is configured on your router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If the thermostat does not hold a signal to the T-Mobile gateway and you have an extender that only supports 802.11 b/g/n you might be able to make a work around with an extender. It could well be the thermostat needs WPA authentication. Be sure the 2.4 GHz has WPA included. 

A quick test would be to remove authentication and see if it jumps on there. I don’t recommend leaving it open without authentication but if it is an authentication issue making the frequency open would expose an authentication problem pretty quick. Some older products only support WEP or WPA so depending upon the vintage of the device authentication is a probable variable.

Badge

I tried several iterations of WiFi networks within the T-Mobile gateway, but could not connect my EcoNet device.  I have a cheap Wavlink extender for my backyard that connects to the T-Mobile gateway that my EcoNet can see.  EcoNet connects fine to this extender.  My T-Mobile service is great, router is quite poor in options, local connectivity, and standards.  Likely, I will need to connect a real WiFi router to the ethernet port of the T-Mobile gateway and shutdown the WiFi on the T-Mobile.  Can use conventional WiFi router and extenders or spend more and put in mesh network routers.

I just recently installed a new ruud air conditioner with the new updated thermostat. And the only way I could find to get around the 2.4 GHz problem everyone is experiencing was to power up my old phone which only ran at 2.4 GHz. long enough to get the device connected.  Then turned it off and went back to my new phone and am now able to access all the features of the thermostat, Fortunately I still had my old phone to do this.

I’m also having the same issue. The Ruud thermostat was working fine with my personal router but once I switched to the gateway I haven’t been able to connect. I also tried every setting I could on the gateway modem. 

Badge

Go change security setting from factory WPA2/WPA2 to only WPA. Then restart the gateway and wait 5 minutes. You then should be able to get it to connect easily