Question

Sag Fast5688W REBOOT

• 5 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

On my second Sag unit in 2 weeks.  They both worked fine for the first two days. Great speeds then the dreadful power on off reboot. Now its rebooting bout every 2 hours. From previous complaints there has to be a bad design or batch out there. 

Has anyone found a solution other then returning for another unit over and over again? My signal level is full bars, it just the power rebooting problem.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have seen recent posts saying the same or similar. Do a little searching on the community and I bet you would also find them. Sounds like a hardware issue with the Sagemcon gateway. Don’t delay contact support and I bet they will send a replacement right out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

So, it reports 4-5 bars. Either you are right there close to a tower in reality or the gateway is messing with your head. I would double check the signal strength with a 5G phone if you can determine the source and cellular signals are from the same cell source. It might be messing with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

And users called the Nokia a trash can. My Nokia has been cranking along since January 2021 without issues. I like my Nokia. It is a good little trash can.

Badge

Have seen the other reports here, yet they claim it's not a problem. The tower is line of sight less the 200 yards away. The speeds are excellent, it just the units keep rebooting after running for a few days. There is no indication of overheating, just random power on booting. Realize others have reported the same, hoping someone, might have found an answer, just did not report it here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I don't believe they have the problem properly debugged OR they just totally fail to report any progress to customers. They should be aware of the problem and with some effort they can profile the behavior. I would start with serial number ranges for build lots and see if there is a relationship to build runs. Out of spec components in the power regulation or some other board related issue maybe. I suppose it might be software but I doubt it. We would have the vendor that did some of our gear do build runs where for one reason or another someone allowed a lot of devices to be built and not be aware that some of the components were not as specified and then we could look at build records and what not and discover what led to the problems. In some cases it would not be a manufacturing run but a process in the run where proper controls or cleaning was not adhered to. Looking at the numbers and making detailed notes to profile failures will help. It just bothers me that they don’t provide a bit more information to users to build confidence that they are serious about attending to quality control issues and not just building out the largest 5G network at any cost. 

Why is my SAG FAST5688W modem rebooting every few hours?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You are not alone my friend. Others have reported the same behavior. I suggest you contact support or make an appointment at a local T-Mobile store to discuss a replacement. It is possible a gateway issue.