Question

Semi-Complicated Network

• 11 February 2022
  • 29 replies

Badge

We have an Asus RT-AC5300 router. We also have a small 5-port ethernet switch attached to the router for all the wired connections in the house. We just got the T-mobile Home Internet gateway. I have the AC5300 connected to the top ethernet port on the T-Mobile gateway. The speed is usually quite fast, but sometimes things will choke. For example YouTube, Facebook and IG will sometimes take a while to load. This is regardless of a wired or wireless connection. Whats even worse is my wife’s work uses a VPN and after about 45 minutes, her connection slows down to the point of being unusable. Her PC is connected via ethernet (via the switch). I connected the switch directly to the bottom ethernet port on the gateway and she could not connect at all. Rather than go down a network IT wormhole, is there anyway to make this setup more stable? If not, I have a feeling I’m going to have to cancel the service until they can figure out how to make their gateway JUST a modem. Based on what I have read, its the “router” in their gateway that causes all these problems.

29 replies

Badge

I was able to get into my Asus router with the iPhone app and switch it back to “router” mode. I was able to get on the internet in AP mode, but the speeds were all over the place and I couldn’t access the router via the web UI. I have my wife’s PC connected directly to the ethernet port on the T-mobile gateway and we’ll see how her VPN likes that when she tries to work tomorrow.

Badge

I just played COD on my PS5 and it seems normal. Not showing any data loss now on speed tests. I imagine our tower is pretty congested too due to the Super Bowl. Fingers crossed just disabling the WiFi on the gateway did the trick. I’m also hoping the wife’s VPN works better plugged directly into the gateway. If not, that could be a deal breaker.

Badge

Ok we can’t stream TV and play games at the same time. It’s painful! My PS5 can’t get above 6Mb upload. It’s on Ethernet too. Apple TV streams via Ethernet as well. I dunno about this…

Badge