Question

setting up internet

• 4 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

My pc will not pickup the name for t mobile as one of the local choices for service. It already picks up my old service for both 2g and 5g. All of my other home devices pick up the signal.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The main clues may be in the details. What is this PC client? How old is it? Is it a Windows client or an Apple client or what OS does it run? If it is an older PC/client the capability of the network adapter and the drivers it uses may be related to this issue. If the wireless network adapter is 6-7 years old it may have some hurdles to jump to be able to connect to the WIFI6 (802.11ax) radio solution. If the PC is old and there are no longer drivers supported for the client OS then your best bet would be to buy a newer USB wireless adapter that has support for 802.11ac or 802.11ax. An old network adapter that has much more limited capability will be a struggle to get connected and it will be a compromised solution.

Please post more details about the client to get better answers.

You might be able to reset the adapter to its default state to get it to see the T-Mobile wireless signals but if it has older drivers even that might not be enough. In addition to seeing and being able to identify the new wireless SSID you also will need to be sure the gateway provides the proper authentication so the client can be securely connected to the network. You will need to also know the authentication types that are available on the gateway for the SSID and have the client with the proper authentication type.

If you have a Windows client you can search for the system information utility and run that or use device manager to identify the details of the wireless adapter. If this is the oldest client you have it might be, and is probably the capability of the adapter that is the challenge. If this is a laptop or PC from a vendor and you have the model number that would make it possible to search and get the specifics of the device for its network capability.

Badge

Hi itinerant. Thanks for the info. Bought a USB wifi adapter and it looks like it solved the problem . My computer is probably 6 to 8 years old. Took a while to set up, but I am no computer wizard. Thanks again, Rich 

Badge

Sorry about the name.  I meant to type Itinkeralot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

No problem. I am glad it worked out. I know old adapters are trouble. I solved my issues with needing Linux drivers by buying newer USB adapters that had network drivers for them when need be. 

Cheers!