Question

signal on Nokia gateway

• 11 March 2021
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This apparently is a well documented issue but I can’t seem to get any real support on this problem. I’ve had the home internet for about 2.5 weeks now and it for the most part has been fantastic. Almost a half a gigabit download speeds with over 100mbps upload using B66/N41 primary/secondary with awesome signal strength because I have direct LOS of my local tower.

The primary signal has been bouncing around between B2/B66 for the past week for no reason but for the most part the connection has been very stable. Earlier today I had to unplug the device to move some furniture around, and when i reconnected it, the gateway will no longer lock a 5G signal on secondary (N41 from my local tower) despite the fact that it is still available on my phone.

Tried numerous reboots, and a factory reset and it is consistently stuck on B12 only on the primary connection, which has made my connection terrible in comparison to what I had before. I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened or what the problem is, other then possibly the LTE antenna is broken? But due to a power reset? That makes little sense to me.

Browsing the reddit page it looks like this is a well documented problem, but no one can make heads or tails of whether this is firmware related or hardware related. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

56 replies

I’ll get the secondary for a day or two and then it disappears for a week or so. 

I just got new TM home internet and had great speed 300 down 75 up, then after a day it dropped to 20 down 12 up.. noticed secondary didn’t have a signal anymore. Did some research online and found some were thinking it’s a heat issue and remedy by running a fan on the unit, then I saw a post about disabling wifi to reduce heat.. I am using Orbi, so I was able to disable the wifi on TM unit and within a few minutes secondary came back on and my speeds went back to 300 down 50 up. I’m convinced it’s a heat issue if you see your secondary failing

Since I read in this thread about the heat issue, I’ve had a very strong fan on the unit; but it has not made a difference, even after rebooting a few times.  What do you mean by “disable the wifi on TM unit?”

Since I read in this thread about the heat issue, I’ve had a very strong fan on the unit; but it has not made a difference, even after rebooting a few times.  What do you mean by “disable the wifi on TM unit?”

Basically you disable the wifi service on Tmobile home internet unit(sometimes referred to as the “trash can”. If doing this, you’d need a wifi router plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the device. if you want wifi in your home. This video explains how to disable wifi signal on your TMobile unit Video link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QNSapXpgio. I hope this helps! The theory is that turning off wifi makes the unit create less heat.. 

I just logged on to the gateway, and discovered that the software version ends in .078, which is higher than the version in the above video.  At the same time, I noticed that my secondary signal is now operating, and I’m again getting almost 300Mbps down and about 30Mbps up.  The fan has been on it the whole time.  Sounds like it may have been a software issue the whole time.  I’m using the gateway as a router, and it’s doing that job well, too.  Could be that they sent out a lot of these before all testing had been done.  In any case, if it acts up again, I’ll post here again.  I neglected to say in previous posts that I spent a good deal of time on the phone with tech support over this, and was promised that it would be escalated to the engineers.  The tech also told me that they’d be sending me a range extender of some sort, but I haven’t heard more about that and it’s been about a week.  Anyhow, I’m happy for now.

I just logged on to the gateway, and discovered that the software version ends in .078, which is higher than the version in the above video.  At the same time, I noticed that my secondary signal is now operating, and I’m again getting almost 300Mbps down and about 30Mbps up.  The fan has been on it the whole time.  Sounds like it may have been a software issue the whole time.  I’m using the gateway as a router, and it’s doing that job well, too.  Could be that they sent out a lot of these before all testing had been done.  In any case, if it acts up again, I’ll post here again.  I neglected to say in previous posts that I spent a good deal of time on the phone with tech support over this, and was promised that it would be escalated to the engineers.  The tech also told me that they’d be sending me a range extender of some sort, but I haven’t heard more about that and it’s been about a week.  Anyhow, I’m happy for now.

Just an FYI I’m on 078 firmware(just received mine a couple days ago and was shipped with 078) it was working fine on secondary day 1 then lost secondary day 2, 3 until I disabled wifi then worked again. Could be a fluke but it was literally within 5 minutes working on secondary again.. I’m within ½ mile of tower and get consistent 400-500 down on my T-Mobile iPhone 12 inside my house 

I’ve had mine for a couple of months, and it was around 300 down and 30 up when I first got it online.  The secondary went out a couple of times, then came back, then went down again.  Adding the fan didn’t help, and getting the upgrade to .078 is the latest change; so I’m pinning my hopes on that as being the cure :)  The unit runs hot, so I’ve left the fan on it just for good practices.  I have Verizon phones, so can’t compare signals between wifi and phones.  When my contract is up at Verizon, I’m planning to try T-Mobile for phones then.

Well, after being very erratic and only having secondary signal for short periods of time for two months it’s now been up almost a week with 250-300 down and 40-50 up. Knock on wood...

2nd day with device and lost secondary. It was there the first day. Anyone have the actual reason? 

I had the same issue with secondary signal not being connected and particularly the upload speed was horrible (<5 Mbps). Signal was also unstable. Called T-Mobile Technical Support twice. Received a replacement Nokia gateway. Minutes after initial use it dropped secondary signal, just like the first gateway. I put a fan underneath the gateway as recommended by others and now I have a secondary signal. Everything is stable and super fast download and upload speeds (>450 Mbps download and >70 Mbps upload at the gateway). It appears that when the gateway gets too hot it drops secondary signal to cool down. The existing cooling method inside the unit is not enough to keep it cool enough and stable. I hope Nokia fixes that soon.

I just ordered a  USB fan from Amazon that has the same width (12 cm) as the gateway. It seems to work like a charm for other people who had the same issue. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am also having same issues. I’m starting to believe the root cause of all these problems is tower congestion. I’m also hearing that T-Mobile Home Internet has low priority on these towers.  If this is the case, sadly…there is nothing we can do about it.

I have the same issue. My gateway was getting 4 bars on the secondary band(n71) or several months. Everything was good speed was around 100mbps . A week ago it stopped I have no signal on the secondary band at all. As a result my speed is less than 10mbps .I talk to the man down the street from me his is working fine. I called t mobile. No help they sent me a new gateway no change. Would greatly appreciate it anyone can help. There technically supposed is horrible if I had any options I would take it. I am on the edge of canceling with no replacement.

I have the same issue. My gateway was getting 4 bars on the secondary band(n71) or several months. Everything was good speed was around 100mbps . A week ago it stopped I have no signal on the secondary band at all. As a result my speed is less than 10mbps .I talk to the man down the street from me his is working fine. I called t mobile. No help they sent me a new gateway no change. Would greatly appreciate it anyone can help. There technically supposed is horrible if I had any options I would take it. I am on the edge of canceling with no replacement.

Do you have a 5g phone?  If so, are you getting 5g on your phone?

What is the software version on your internet device?  1.2003.03.0178

Does your neighbor have the same software version?

Can you bring your device to your neighbors place to see if you get 5g then you will know for sure if it’s your area or the device?

I also can’t figure out why my 5g secondary signal has been out for weeks while the tower is only a block away from me getting 5 bars.  Wish they would give me a larger bandwidth primary signal instead of B12 band with 5M bandwidth.  I reboot every morning hoping for the 5g secondary band to suddenly appear.  The great thing is that I’ve never lost internet.

I have a 5G phone.  The software is up to date as far as I know. He is out of town for a 3 weeks.

So you are getting 5G on your phone but not on the internet device?

Wish you could plug the device in your car and drive to where you neighbor is to see if you get the 5G secondary connection.

I really want to know what is going on too.  Why shut off the 5G secondary connection??

Unfortunately I don’t have T-Mobile for my phone long story there. I don’t think I can move it to a different address anyway my understanding is it’s one good for the address it was seat up for.  I hade a good secondary signal for sometime. T-Mobile assured me that the towers in my neighborhood are working fine. I have not tried a new SIM card yet. Do you think that is the problem?

No clue.  If you try that, let us know if it worked or not.  I’m waiting patiently for the next firmware update since I’ve run out of ideas.

Do you have any idea as to when that will be? I don’t want to talk to the technician support team again it’s very frustrating.

No I don’t.  They don’t even have a website telling us what is being worked on. Just leave us in the dark.  Hopefully by the end of the year they will have it all worked out.  No way I’m going back to Comcast cable internet with the 1.2TB data cap.  I love having unlimited data for this price.  Just need the 5G and it will be perfect.

Good luck !Ihave no other options here. I have to make it work.

Good luck !Ihave no other options here. I have to make it work.

I have a solution!

I went to T-Mobile channel in Facebook Messenger and spoke with Frank Maez.  He reset the network connection on THEIR end and I got the 5G secondary connection.  Didn’t need to reboot.  My primary signal band is B2 and my secondary signal band is n41.  Before he reset the connection, I only had a primary signal connection band B12.

Just ask tech support to “Reset the network connection on THEIR end.”

Good luck!

SpeedTest

I only have the primary signal and my download speed is around 300 Mbps and my upload is slow - 7-8 Mbps. Do I need to have the second signal? Thanks.

300 Mbps down is  great.  Don’t mess with it unless you need upload speed.

Today, my secondary signal appears. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

My secondary signal dropped at some point this weekend.  I sure hope it is a temp outage or cell tower maintenance.  My speeds are presently 25 mb/s download at best, previously nearing 100 mb/s.  I’ve tried rebooting, repositioning the gateway, pulling the SIM and re-inserting.  I’ve shut all broadcasts off on the gateway and use an interconnected connected router.  The gateway environment is nice and cool, but I have noticed some heat as others noted around the top of the trash bin looking Nokia unit.  

I had a look on cellmapper.net to try and locate the tower which I am connected, but it doesn’t come up on the map!  Thought maybe it might give me some ideas as to what is going on….

So, I am trickling along on B25 with 5m bandwidth..I am going to shut the thing off overnight and let it cool off.  See if that does anything.  Otherwise I’ll call tech support and use the advice given earlier from NyteRazor and ask them to reset the network on their end.