Question

Slow upload speed and T Mobile home Internet

• 1 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

How do I improve the upload speed of my T Mobile home Internet? The download speed is around 70 the upload is just under one, which is horrible

5 replies

We have to do a reboot via the web interface about every day to keep the upload speed up where it should be, download always seems to be fine.  We have a weak signal but we get avg 50mbps down and 13mbps up. 

Badge

How do I improve the upload speed of my T Mobile home Internet? The download speed is around 70 the upload is just under one, which is horrible

I am experiencing the same thing.  I typically get 30-70Mbps download, but my upload speeds are always < 1Mbps.  It is causing disconnects for business video conferencing and other issues. As part of my job I also move large media files around. These UL speeds are unusable.

Slow upload speed (1.1 mbps), but 50+ mbps download. Two bars on the device. I cannot figure out how to improve this. Today, the internet has been flickering on and off, too. I cannot find a pattern to fix this.

Badge

Slow upload speed (1.1 mbps), but 50+ mbps download. Two bars on the device. I cannot figure out how to improve this. Today, the internet has been flickering on and off, too. I cannot find a pattern to fix this.

I’m experiencing exactly the same thing.  Depending on time of day I get 30-80Mbps DL, great latency, but regardless of time of day UL speeds are always 0.3-0.9Mbps.  Nothing I have done has changed that.  The past week has had a lot disconnects too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

make sure to test different locations.  They have some localized capacity issues… if you are only testing locally, you may not be getting an accurate picture of how things pan out for how you are actually using it.

for example, I am in the Carolinas, and while the localized testing around the Charlotte area often looks reasonable, it is prone to bouts of bad congestion.  BUT… my usage rarely actually is hitting Charlotte area endpoints, so those results are mostly irrelevant for my needs.

One of my main uses is for games…. games that are NOT hosted in the Carolinas.  Otherwise, it is a lot of streaming--and those CDN’s are not in the Charlotte area either.

When I test to the areas where most of those games are hosted, I tend to see quite a contrast---most often much better throughput to those locations further out.  That is right… I can actually get better results testing to Seattle, Montreal, NY, Dallas, Even areas around Southern California than I do to sites within my more immediate region of NC/SC.

If you see a HUGE shift when comparing results like that, it can be important info to pass on to tech support somehow… as there may be a backhaul issue, or other peering issues that need to be addressed at a higher tier, possibly even with a third party partner.

Just as an example, here are some results from some tests done close together in my history:

11228943298.png

11228950776.png

Notice how the one all the way up in Montreal faired better than the one that was just 50 miles away that Speedtest defaults to.