T-Mobile Home dropping Internet

• 30 August 2021
  • 23 replies

T-Mobile Home service started dropping internet service and support is giving us the run around!   Anyone else experiencing this and any advice before we switch to another carrier?

Here is our story:  

Really liked the idea of T-mobile Home, so we switch our unlimited cell service from Verizon to T-mobile and then added T-mobile Home 9 months ago.   We were extremely pleased with cell, home internet and support.  

Then a few weeks ago it all went bad.   The 5G network started dropping internet, infrequently at first but lately as much as 3-4 times an hour.  

Cell Phone - no problem just got off 5G, 4G network much more reliable.

Home Internet -  this is a bigger problem, so far support has claimed:

1.  Home device can not be change to work on 4G network
  2.  Support originally told us routine Maintenance on network was causing problem, this  was not true as it happens primarily at night outside maintenance window.
  3. Support then told us “firmware out of date, claimed it would be updated and solve all our problems in 24 hours.  This obviously didn’t work either…

So I guess I will try one last time with support, but as you all know this means hours of time on hold and getting shuffled between multiple people.    Anyone have any advice or run into this problem?

Appreciate any advice!

23 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You may be running into an overheating issue.

I don’t believe this is an over heating issue.  The device does not feel hot at all and it is in a cool place.   Also now that I have begun to Researching this issue, I have found many people are experiencing the same thing.  And “over heating” appears to be the standard T-mobile response, but customers, many of whom install cooling fans, all claim this does not solve the issue.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I actually recommend the overheating issue on the forums a lot and I am not affiliated with T-Mobile.  I’ve never heard of T-Mobile acknowledging an overheating issue.  The overheating issue is also not usually detectable by touch and it’s not helped by a cooler room.  Although I’ve suggested adding a fan on several posts, I’ve only heard a couple follow-up posts that followed through and they were successful.

Thanks for your note.   I obviously can’t check other forums, in this community you have recommended the “over heating “ issue numerous times and I can’t find a single instance where it fixed the problem.   Device is cool, room is cool, also it doesn’t fit with the timing of the problem.

My wife and I both work from home, due to COVID.   We use the internet all day long with no problems.   Then between 6:30 - 7:00pm, it starts to drop internet.   3-4 times an hour until around 9-9:30 pm.  

Seems to me this has something to due with bandwidth of the T-mobile network.   Question remains is there anything we can do about it?   

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Here’s a recent success story that involved adding a fan.

With your drops happening during a specific time period every day I can see it potentially being related to network congestion.  But also since it’s towards the end of the day I could see it being a build-up of heat and maybe the modem having to fight harder for its signal to get back to the tower.  If it’s a congestion issue, there’s probably not much you can do.  If it’s an overheating issue, then a cheap fan could be the answer.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

...I’ve only heard a couple follow-up posts that followed through and they were successful.

Well, I’ll be your first “didn’t work.” Fan didn’t make any difference at all--tried one on bottom, then one on bottom and one on top. Problem persists even after .1609 firmware update. Gateway shipped with .0178.  Service good when working, but daily reboots to get internet back is tiring. Just glad I’m not a gamer. Having to reboot while watching a movie is frustrating enough. Losing internet in the middle of a game would be even worse.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve not really had any freeze up issues since adding my fans.  More recently I’ve been documenting small rotations when I do need to reboot in order to improve my reception.  My current angle has kept me on n41 for 9.5 days now which is great.  However, I am still on software 1.2003.03.0178.  If I start having problems when my update gets pushed out I will definitely post about it.

Badge

I’ve heard that turning off the WiFi on the T-Mobile Internet Gateway and just using another WiFi router helps with the heat issue.

I too have the same issue as a matter of fact the internet dropped 10 minutes before the ball dropped on New Years Eve and again each night since at around 10pm My home device sits on a windowsill and I live in the northeast if anything it is almost cool to the touch. I find it odd that it drops out in the evening even though I use my internet all hours of the day. I love the cost saving but should this continue I will have to go back to the devil I knew 

Badge

My gateway just started dropping today in northern Virginia. It is on for a few mins then off for a few with just the T showing in the little display. I have rebooted it with the app. 

This is a backup for my Comcast internet, which is also down today.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My gateway just started dropping today in northern Virginia. It is on for a few mins then off for a few with just the T showing in the little display. I have rebooted it with the app. 

This is a backup for my Comcast internet, which is also down today.  

Weren't you guys just hit with a storm of the century kind of thing that shut down I-95 for like a whole day or something?

Just thinking... these things may be related…

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/04/us/i-95-closed-snowstorm-winter.html

Badge

Absolutely there was a big storm.  We are lucky that we still have electricity and other key services, since many don’t.  What we don’t have is the utility delivered wirelessly.  My T-Mo cell phone still has data, but my home internet does not, so I doubt the cell tower is the problem.

I have been having same problems which are 1000% not my tower overheating! Its been this way since day 1 and they only offered to refund 1 payment for the issue and I basically have to restart or reset the damn thing 20 times a day it just drops but still shows 2 bars just can't connect to device and drops whatever im doing via internet or streaming TV etc. They 1st said its a device issue and would call back never did though then 2nd said its due to maintenance or working on tower nearby and would call back....and now nothing never heard back amd seems im charged twice in a month for this shotty service and no where near speeds it should be let alone 5G as they said I am and should have in my area before I even ordered it. My bill is $113 i just paid $58 and was told it was no more than $50 a month im so passed off and good luck ever reaching a live person to help they can't even understand what in saying or even listen and no way I can understand them either its always hard to communicate and they say yhey will call back and put in service order but never have 

Userlevel 2
Badge

it’s not overheating. this has been happening to many users, after months of no problem with the same setup/use. it would be nice if someone looked into it and tried to find a solution 

Badge

I too have the same issue as a matter of fact the internet dropped 10 minutes before the ball dropped on New Years Eve and again each night since at around 10pm My home device sits on a windowsill and I live in the northeast if anything it is almost cool to the touch. I find it odd that it drops out in the evening even though I use my internet all hours of the day. I love the cost saving but should this continue I will have to go back to the devil I knew 

That’s 100% network congestion 10 mins before the ball drop ppl will be trying to stream their faces to friends to celebrate new years. Hmmm it seems they need a separate 5G to assist with home internet vs sharing with cellular phones…(Somewhere the you need a V-8 baby bopped an executive on the head saying you need to fix ya dang network) I wonder why they would think after so many years of 4g(LTE) complaints they would have known to not do that ESPECIALLY FROM SPRINT my friend always had issues with sprint speeds being inconsistent. Makes you wonder why come out with 5g home internet without ironing out the bugs… I guess I have to return the modem too. Dang I was hoping this would work for me… I don’t think I wanna wait till they get out the beta stages when they might do 6g will be out. 6G= new problems to iron out.

I get 2 bars from a tower about 2-3 miles from me~ any where from amazing 200 MBPS to Elderly ninja turtle Stuck in a glue trap 5 MBPS Upload stays trash at 1.0 to like 6 mbps

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

That’s 100% network congestion 10 mins before the ball drop ppl will be trying to stream their faces to friends to celebrate new years. Hmmm it seems they need a separate 5G to assist with home internet vs sharing with cellular phones … Makes you wonder why come out with 5g home internet without ironing out the bugs.

Blame it on the FCC.  There is a limited amount of frequencies and bandwidth available, so sharing is the only practical solution.

T-Mobile makes it very clear about prioritization in their terms and conditions, and even on the Home Internet webpage.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

During congestion, Home Internet customers may notice speeds lower than other customers due to data prioritization.  T-Mobile Home Internet  customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users.

Badge

That’s 100% network congestion 10 mins before the ball drop ppl will be trying to stream their faces to friends to celebrate new years. Hmmm it seems they need a separate 5G to assist with home internet vs sharing with cellular phones … Makes you wonder why come out with 5g home internet without ironing out the bugs.

Blame it on the FCC.  There is a limited amount of frequencies and bandwidth available, so sharing is the only practical solution.

T-Mobile makes it very clear about prioritization in their terms and conditions, and even on the Home Internet webpage.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

During congestion, Home Internet customers may notice speeds lower than other customers due to data prioritization.  T-Mobile Home Internet  customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users.

Thank you for quoting what i said in a different way then saying its in the terms of service. FCC or not it’s still T-mobiles responsibility to know when the network is ready for home usage. Most people might be unaware 5g heck even 4g for that matter isn’t reliable enough for home internet they see 50/mo and go all in I was hoping the uploads sometime during the day/week would be better than basic 1-3 MBPS.  My issue isn’t data prioritization I got the internet knowing full well the internet is not “reliable” What I didn’t expect was the service to not be ready for actual home use. I don’t live far from a tower. My issue is the upload is stably SLOW. If you read other people posts on here people normally get trash download great upload or visa versa. Very few cases  people get a balanced speed (and they complain about either signal heat or speeds being slow). My case its Great download terrible upload Consistently and most people that call in says they are still rolling out 5g. Which means it’s not ready for ideal home internet. Theirs even people saying their cellular phones next to the gateway BOTH get better signal and speeds. So that means the gateway is trash (or improperly configured via connection to the tower or out the box, hardware issues Etc.) or home internet is legit not prioritized at all In which during the day is fine, but at night is kinda WTF status.

I am having the same problems internet drops out and the only way to get it back is to unplug the gateway. This has been going on since I signed up for T-Mobile Home Internet ( 6 months now). No one seams to be able to repair this.

I am having the same problems   mobdro

Over the past week my home Internet has slowed to a crawl, just 1-5 Mbps download most of the time. The time of day, Wired/wireless connection, restarting modem don't fix the problem.

I do believe that this issue needs to be looked at again.  This post is over a year old.  Unless someone found the solution.  Please share if you have a solution, old or new.

Thank You 

I do believe that this issue needs to be looked at again.  This post is over a year old.  Unless someone found the solution.  Please share if you have a solution, old or new.

Thank You 

Hi, mine has been pretty solid since about June 2022.