T-Mobile Home Internet 5G Question. Bandwidth throttling from certain video services?

• 17 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just finished setting up my T-mobile home internet service a few days ago. The speeds I was able to achieve while Speedtesting astounded me. I was averaging 100mb/s and occasionally reaching 300mb/s. I was even thinking of going all-in and purchasing a rooftop antenna kit. However, I noticed that the picture on Hulu was not as good as it should have been, as if the internet was really sluggish. The same thing happened to me with HBO, which was particularly terrible. The Apple TV, for example, takes a long time to load. I've never experienced problems like this before. I didn't say anything about it until my wife pointed it out to me "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH HBO? IT CAN'T BE USED ".. She isn't the type to be concerned about such things. I disabled the services and 

ran speed tests. Still getting around 100mb/s.

I noticed this multiple times and multiple times per day. Not just what may be considered "peak time". My best guess is that T-Mobile is throttling some video services. Ideas? Thoughts?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Could be happening from the other end as well.  TMO is likely getting detected as a mobile service, not a standard ISP. I regularly have to pull up the menu in youtube to bump up the resolution… likes to default to 720p a lot, even though their own stats for nerds reports north of 20mbps bandwidth available.

Userlevel 1
Badge

djb14336 may be right. Test using a VPN.  Let us know how it goes. :-)

Are these results using WiFi Connection to TV or other device? To rule out your concerns about throttling connect directly using a network cable to TV and see what that does. If you can do a network speed test through your TV using an android app like Analitti you can see what Network speed T’Mobile is getting you. Wifi because of so many factors may produce poor results for streaming...yes even 5G. Also the quality of wifi signals change all the time. You won’t notice as much with general use but for consistent streaming over hours of viewing a wired connection will be much better. 

I just finished setting up my T-mobile home internet service a few days ago. The speeds I was able to achieve while Speedtesting astounded me. I was averaging 100mb/s and occasionally reaching 300mb/s. I was even thinking of going all-in and purchasing a rooftop antenna kit. However, I noticed that the picture on Hulu was not as good as it should have been, as if the internet was really sluggish. The same thing happened to me with HBO, which was particularly terrible. The Apple TV, for example, takes a long time to load. I've never experienced problems like this before. I didn't say anything about it until my wife pointed it out to me "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH HBO? IT CAN'T BE USED ".. She isn't the type to be concerned about such things. I disabled the services and 

I noticed this multiple times and multiple times per day. Not just what may be considered "peak time". My best guess is that T-Mobile is throttling some video services. Ideas? Thoughts?

As for Hulu on an AppleTV it will not work with T-Mobile, However Hulu will still work with your computer, tablet and mobile devices.  I thought I better respond because it’s not too wildly known and I spent quite a bit of time with Hulu support. 

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/t-mobile-home-internet-doesn-t-support-hulu-live-tv-yet

The attached article says they are working on it which is new news for me.  Hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks .