T-Mobile Home Internet 5G Question. Bandwidth throttling from certain video services?

Badge

I just finished setting up my T-mobile home internet service a few days ago. The speeds I was able to achieve while Speedtesting astounded me. I was averaging 100mb/s and occasionally reaching 300mb/s. I was even thinking of going all-in and purchasing a rooftop antenna kit. However, I noticed that the picture on Hulu was not as good as it should have been, as if the internet was really sluggish. The same thing happened to me with HBO, which was particularly terrible. The Apple TV, for example, takes a long time to load. I've never experienced problems like this before. I didn't say anything about it until my wife pointed it out to me "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH HBO? IT CAN'T BE USED ".. She isn't the type to be concerned about such things. I disabled the services and 

ran speed tests. Still getting around 100mb/s.

I noticed this multiple times and multiple times per day. Not just what may be considered "peak time". My best guess is that T-Mobile is throttling some video services. Ideas? Thoughts?

30 replies

Badge

Having the opposite issue.  We can stream TV all day with no issues but connecting a computer to the same network to do work, email, get to any website check this work.  We have to reset the device every couple hours sometimes.  Anyone else with this that knows a solution?

no response

Badge

Having the opposite issue.  We can stream TV all day with no issues but connecting a computer to the same network to do work, email, get to any website celh stock, etc doesnt work.  We have to reset the device every couple hours sometimes.  Anyone else with this that knows a solution?

Badge

I just finished setting up my T-mobile home internet service a few days ago. The speeds I was able to achieve while Speedtesting astounded me. I was averaging 100mb/s and occasionally reaching 300mb/s. I was even thinking of going all-in and purchasing a rooftop antenna kit. However, I noticed that the picture on Hulu was not as good as it should have been, as if the internet was really sluggish. The same thing happened to me with HBO, which was particularly terrible. The Apple TV, for example, takes a long time to load. I've never experienced problems like this before. I didn't say anything about it until my wife pointed it out to me "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH HBO? IT CAN'T BE USED ".. She isn't the type to be concerned about such things. I disabled the services and 

I'm posting to ask if someone could make me a script for a game. The script I need to have made is something that will take a word or short phrase that would show up jumbled and people have to guess the answer. Upon answering correctly they get a point.

There are obviously more details but I'd like someone to reply to this before I go further. Yes, I'm willing to pay, jumble solver but payment would have to be in April. My money for March is tied up.

If anyone could help me out here I'd appreciate it.

I noticed this multiple times and multiple times per day. Not just what may be considered "peak time". My best guess is that T-Mobile is throttling some video services. Ideas? Thoughts?

still not getting any solution

Badge

Having the opposite issue.  We can stream TV all day with no issues but connecting a computer to the same network to do work, email, get to any website, etc doesnt work.  We have to reset the device every couple hours sometimes.  Anyone else with this that knows a solution?

you didn’t get any response?

Badge

Having the opposite issue.  We can stream TV all day with no issues but connecting a computer to the same network to do work, email pups, get to any website, etc doesnt work.  We have to reset the device every couple hours sometimes.  Anyone else with this that knows a solution?

no, i don’t have the same issue.

Badge

IMHO (in my humble opinion,) most of the connectivity problems that are described above seem to arise more from bandwidth congestion, maintenance downtime, or slowdowns from the router-gateway overheating, rather than from outright, central throttling down.  The cell towers automatically re-allocate connectivity resources among a spectrum of frequencies.  If you use a browser to connect to your T-Mobile Gateway, check it at: “see this,” aka 192.168.12.1, where you can observe the primary and secondary signal connection bands. If you’re fortunate enough to be in close proximity of an upgraded, 5G tower, you will receive the primary signal on the B66 (LTE) frequency and the secondary signal on the N71 (5G) frequency.  That type of connection will read a 600+ Mbps download speed on Okla’s Speedtest.  Nowadays, techs often work to upgrade towers, turning high speed service down for several weeks at a time.  Menwhile, other nearby towers take up the slack with frequencies that have longer range, but transmit at painfully slower speeds.  For example, if the Primary Signal connects to the B2 tower transmitter, that signal penetrates buildings better, with longer range, but with painfully slower bandwidth.  There are some YouTube videos dealing with disassembly and antenna extension of the “Trash-Can” shaped Gateway, but that method is risky and pretty well useless.  In my experience the best bandwidth is achieved with proper positioning of the gateway in the house and, very importantly, installing an external cooling fan to the “trash can” shaped gateway.  Amazon has a suitable, external 120mm USB powered fan, called AC Infinity Multifan S3, for about $14.  This last suggestion is mute if you’re using the newer, rectangular gateway.

Additionally, I highly recommend configuring all your devices from being set to automatically connect to a “DNS” (Domain Name System) server to manually access Cloudflare’s DNS services.  That simple setting will noticeably increase browsing speed, and will greatly improve privacy.  Cloudflare’s IPV4 manual DNS setting should be set to: “1.1.1.1” for the primary and “1.0.0.1” for the secondary values.  IPV6 should be set to: “2606:4700:4700::1111” for the primary and “2606.4700:4700::1001” for the secondary. A common data entry mistake is to type a single colon before the last four digits in the IPV6 settings instead of a double colon.  It’s a bit tedious to reset the DNS on your router and various other devices, but I found it well worth MY while.

thanks for sharing the info

Badge

Hey

Could be happening from the other end as well.  TMO is likely getting detected as a mobile service, not a standard ISP. I regularly have to pull up the menu in YouTube to bump up the resolution… likes to default to 720p a lot, even though their own stats for nerds reports north of 20mbps bandwidth available. Click here

thank you for sharing the link

Having the opposite issue.  We can stream TV all day with no issues but connecting a computer to the same network to do work, email, get to any website, etc doesnt work.  We have to reset the device every couple hours sometimes.  Anyone else with this that knows a solution?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Beware, spam link.

Hey

Could be happening from the other end as well.  TMO is likely getting detected as a mobile service, not a standard ISP. I regularly have to pull up the menu in YouTube to bump up the resolution… likes to default to 720p a lot, even though their own stats for nerds reports north of 20mbps bandwidth available. Click here

IMHO (in my humble opinion,) most of the connectivity problems that are described above seem to arise more from bandwidth congestion, maintenance downtime, or slowdowns from the router-gateway overheating, rather than from outright, central throttling down.  The cell towers automatically re-allocate connectivity resources among a spectrum of frequencies.  If you use a browser to connect to your T-Mobile Gateway, check it at: “High-Speed Internet Gateway,” aka 192.168.12.1, where you can observe the primary and secondary signal connection bands. If you’re fortunate enough to be in close proximity of an upgraded, 5G tower, you will receive the primary signal on the B66 (LTE) frequency and the secondary signal on the N71 (5G) frequency.  That type of connection will read a 600+ Mbps download speed on Okla’s Speedtest.  Nowadays, techs often work to upgrade towers, turning high speed service down for several weeks at a time.  Menwhile, other nearby towers take up the slack with frequencies that have longer range, but transmit at painfully slower speeds.  For example, if the Primary Signal connects to the B2 tower transmitter, that signal penetrates buildings better, with longer range, but with painfully slower bandwidth.  There are some YouTube videos dealing with disassembly and antenna extension of the “Trash-Can” shaped Gateway, but that method is risky and pretty well useless.  In my experience the best bandwidth is achieved with proper positioning of the gateway in the house and, very importantly, installing an external cooling fan to the “trash can” shaped gateway.  Amazon has a suitable, external 120mm USB powered fan, called AC Infinity Multifan S3, for about $14.  This last suggestion is mute if you’re using the newer, rectangular gateway.

Additionally, I highly recommend configuring all your devices from being set to automatically connect to a “DNS” (Domain Name System) server to manually access Cloudflare’s DNS services.  That simple setting will noticeably increase browsing speed, and will greatly improve privacy.  Cloudflare’s IPV4 manual DNS setting should be set to: “1.1.1.1” for the primary and “1.0.0.1” for the secondary values.  IPV6 should be set to: “2606:4700:4700::1111” for the primary and “2606.4700:4700::1001” for the secondary. A common data entry mistake is to type a single colon before the last four digits in the IPV6 settings instead of a double colon.  It’s a bit tedious to reset the DNS on your router and various other devices, but I found it well worth MY while.

Badge

I am wondering if this is what is making my youtube UPLOADS so slow. 
My brand new service gets 250+ down / 15 up but when I go to upload it gets 1.5 up. This is pathetic. I bought this Best Paintball Gun under $200 because it is supposed to beat my DSL that uploads at 8mbps and I make youtube content for a living .

Running it through my VPN I am getting around 4.5 peak, but then of course I should be getting much better.

agree with you

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

… jitter is how bad the out of sequence the packets come. 

Actually, jitter is variation in latency (the “ping” measure). If jitter is high, it usually does mess up the order of the packets, so the effects of high jitter are as you described. 

Badge

I am wondering if this is what is making my youtube UPLOADS so slow. 
My brand new service gets 250+ down / 15 up but when I go to upload it gets 1.5 up. This is pathetic. I bought this because it is supposed to beat my DSL that uploads at 8mbps and I make youtube content for a living.

Running it through my VPN I am getting around 4.5 peak, but then of course I should be getting much better.

Badge

I got this a few days ago and having the same issue.  Seems to be the network more than anything else.  Ping and Jitter can be in the thousands!  Try using a speed test like wavecomm.com/speedtest for it will also give you those numbers.  Ping is how long it takes to get a reply back, jitter is how bad the out of sequence the packets come.  When high forget about streaming.  This is about useless to me and thinking about bringing it back. click here

you didn’t share any method.

Badge

I got this a few days ago and having the same issue.  Seems to be the network more than anything else.  Ping and Jitter can be in the thousands!  Try using a speed test like cabins for sale in colorado mountains for it will also give you those numbers.  Ping is how long it takes to get a reply back, jitter is how bad the out of sequence the packets come.  When high forget about streaming.  This is about useless to me and thinking about bringing it back.

can you please another method or solution?

Badge

I got this a few days ago and having the same issue.  Seems to be the network more than anything else.  Ping and Jitter can be in the thousands!  Try using a speed test like wavecomm.com/speedtest for it will also give you those numbers. The Handbag of God Ping is how long it takes to get a reply back, jitter is how bad the out of sequence the packets come.  When high forget about streaming.  This is about useless to me and thinking about bringing it back.

really helpful for me thanks again

Badge

I got this a few days ago and having the same issue.  Seems to be the network more than anything else.  Ping and Jitter can be in the thousands!  Try using a speed test like wavecomm.com/speedtest for it will also give you those numbers does lionel messi have autism.  Ping is how long it takes to get a reply back, jitter is how bad the out of sequence the packets come.  When high forget about streaming.  This is about useless to me and thinking about bringing it back.

thank you for the response

I got this a few days ago and having the same issue.  Seems to be the network more than anything else.  Ping and Jitter can be in the thousands!  Try using a speed test like wavecomm.com/speedtest for it will also give you those numbers.  Ping is how long it takes to get a reply back, jitter is how bad the out of sequence the packets come.  When high forget about streaming.  This is about useless to me and thinking about bringing it back.

I do have pressed reset of the tower of device , and right now its work good with Strong signal 3 bar

Badge

I do have same problem ,right now my internet very slowly even I my desktop internet browser online very slow I could not checked mail ,

so that’s mean we didn’t get our solutions?

I do have same problem ,right now my internet very slowly even I my desktop internet browser online very slow I could not checked mail ,

Badge

I just finished setting up my T-mobile home internet service a few days ago. The speeds I was able to achieve while Speedtesting astounded me. I was averaging 100mb/s and occasionally reaching 300mb/s. I was even thinking of going all-in and purchasing a rooftop antenna kit. However, I noticed that the picture on Hulu was not as good as it should have been, as if the internet was really sluggish. The same thing happened to me with HBO, which was particularly terrible. The Apple TV, for example, takes a long time to load. I've never experienced problems like this before. I didn't say anything about it until my wife pointed it out to me "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH HBO? IT CAN'T BE USED ".. check here She isn't the type to be concerned about such things. I disabled the services and 

Badge

I am also having the same question.

no response, best shoes for obese walkers

Badge

I am also having the same question.