Question

T Mobile Home Internet & Google Home & Alexa

• 19 March 2021
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Help.  I am battling to connect either Google Home Speaker or Alexa (Echo) speaker to T Mobile Home Internet.  I have reset the devices but nothing.  Both try to connect but can’t finalize the instal and can’t finalize setup connection. Any ideas please.

Also...how many devices can you add to home internet.  I have the high speed internet gateway (grey tower).  I have read conflicting numbers.  10 or 20 (10 on 5g  10 on 2.4g) or 64.    

23 replies

Yes! I had the same issue with my Google Home devices after the firmware upgrade to .0168. After three long hours on the phone with support and a call back from another expert, T-Mobile sent me a replacement refurb gateway with .0143 firmware installed. No problems (so far).

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Ripley.  I finally got it to work (not sure how!).  I think it was the 2-hour wait for the call center that motivated me to persevere!  

Ok, awesome! Glad to hear it!

Did you get any idea of the cause of this? I have the same issue with my Google devices have stopped working. They act as if they are not communicating out.

Userlevel 1

Yes all of my Google devices that use Google Assistant have the same exact issue. Chasw I'm curious as if you're going to be able to maintain connectivity to the T-Mobile home internet. I also have the gray tower and although my speakers do connect on occasion, they seem to lose connectivity frequently when I activate the Google Assistant.

The problem is far worse with my Chromecast with Google TV. But that is tight heavily with Google Assistant so that is the reason why I'm making that connection with all of my Google devices. Even my Pixel 4 XL mobile phone, which rides on Google Fi's mobile service, also loses connectivity to the T-Mobile home internet Wi-Fi router.

As I have read through other threads, I feel there is definitely an undiscovered issue with T-Mobile home internet and Google devices that use Assistant. 

Did anyone ever figure this out without having to exchange routers?  My google home speakers will not connect or work and when I swapped to my old windstream internet, they connected just fine and continued working, so I know the issue is the T Mobile internet, not the Google. :-( 

This is a ridiculous problem to have. I have been using T-Mobile internet for a month or so and I am not happy at all. Perhaps the Andy is in another thread but I’ve got to waste time looking for it

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Make sure your Google Assistants and Amazon Alexa’s are using the 2.4GHz WiFi, set manually to 2.4GHz, channel 6 with AES for encryption.  10 devices is about the maximum for devices spread over both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels combined.  

Does anyone have an update for this? I just got TM home internet this week and all the same problems with Google Home and Chromecast. They’re on the network so they can pull data but other devices can’t find them nor use casting features.  I’m on the latest tower and firmware.

The disappointing part is I’ve had multiple calls with TMO support and they said their engineers do not report seeing any problems here and they are NOT working on a fix.  I said it was all over their own forums so how do we get that going and they only said if a bunch of people call and report tickets.

One guy told me to try and segment the 2.4 and 5ghz networks which I’ve seen mentioned but haven’t had the chance yet. I really wasn’t planning on setting up my own router.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I have had some issue similar that have nothing to do with the gateway since I use my own router. If my laptop is on 5g and my chromecast is on 2.4 it will say it is connected but content does not play. If both devices are on the same 5 or 2.4 it works no issue.

So what has worked for me is to factory reset the gateway device. Once you set it up log into the settings online (192.168.12.1) and divide the 2.4hz and 5gz. But after you separate them go to configure ssid 5, under set ssid to configure make sure to go through all of them and turn off any "enable ssid" other than the ssid 5. For me the ssid 9 was named the same as my 2.4 and Google devices don't like 5gz. Sorry if this is confusing wording but I hope it helps. 

@Danibri5 Thanks so much. That worked.

I had this ‘issue’ too as it relates to Amazon/Alexa/Echo Dot. I used the Amazon Alexa app on my phone and simply went through the set up process. It was easy and quick.

Badge

So what has worked for me is to factory reset the gateway device. Once you set it up log into the settings online (192.168.12.1) and divide the 2.4hz and 5gz. But after you separate them go to configure ssid 5, under set ssid to configure make sure to go through all of them and turn off any "enable ssid" other than the ssid 5. For me the ssid 9 was named the same as my 2.4 and Google devices don't like 5gz. Sorry if this is confusing wording but I hope it helps. 

Hi there! So I would like to try what you explained but I am very confused. I just set up my gateway today and my google home will not connect to the WiFi. I am not tech savy in the slightest but can generally follow step by step instructions. If you can help further, I really appreciate it!

I can’t connect my google home devices to T-Mobile home internet? I just got my modem today 12/29/21.

I had to do a hard reset on my Google Home Devices and I closed and reopened the Google Home App, then I was able to add my google home devices to my home. It seems to be a Google Home app issue.

Separate the wifi signals in the web interface, I was able to get both  alexa and Google to work doing so.

How do you separate the wifi signals??

Make sure your Google Assistants and Amazon Alexa’s are using the 2.4GHz WiFi, set manually to 2.4GHz, channel 6 with AES for encryption.  10 devices is about the maximum for devices spread over both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels combined.  

How do you do this??

Separate the wifi signals in the web interface, I was able to get both  alexa and Google to work doing so.

What and where are the web interface?

Hi. Had the same issue, Alexa didn't connect with T-mobile gateway. It worked 3 months as it should and then it stopped to connect to wifi. After some time with the amazon representative over the phone, I went to the settings for T-mobile gateway and change the frequency from "Automatic" to 2.4 Hz. And it was done! No issue so far. Hopefully it can help someone else as well !!!

Hi. Had the same issue, Alexa didn't connect with T-mobile gateway. It worked 3 months as it should and then it stopped to connect to wifi. After some time with the amazon representative over the phone, I went to the settings for T-mobile gateway and change the frequency from "Automatic" to 2.4 Hz. And it was done! No issue so far. Hopefully it can help someone else as well !!!

I purchased two Echo Show 5 devices and, although I was able to connect both on the 5G in the beginning, my home lost power briefly and I could not get them reconnected on 5G or 2.4G.  Hours online and phone with Alexa support and no go. I actually had Amazon exchange the Echo Show devices lol.

After reading this I checked  my settings in My T-mobile gateway app. I have settings for 5G and 2.4G but in the 2.4G I changed the setting on the WPA Version from WPA2/WPA3 to WPA2. I then rebooted my gateway and my Echo Show and viola! They both connected seamlessly.

I have one Roku TV, one Roku streaming device, my phone, 5 Wyze cameras and now 2 Echo Show 5 connected and everything is running beautifully.

Hope this can help someone else as well.

Looks like the echo products will do an update that fixes the problem. All you have to do is set up on either a hotspot or on a regular wifi network. Once it’s set up you can change the WiFi to a 2.5 ghz from your T-Mobile WiFi