Question

T-Mobile Home Internet - seasonal suspension

• 29 October 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge

I am using T-Mobile Home Internet at a 2nd home that I occupy for 6 months a year.  Is it possible to “suspend” the internet service during the time the home is not being used and keep the equipment?  I don’t want to pay for the service when I am not there.  Otherwise I would have to cancel the account, return the equipment and then open a new account with new equipment every six months and this will probably result in a problem.

Thanks!

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had the same question and was told I’d have to turn it in, then in six months create a new account.  Also cancel my account in AZ when I return to IA.  Bummer.

Now, a friend from Kansas City Carrie’s his unit back and forth and it seems like if works fine.

Badge

in the app you can suspend service 2x a year up to 3 months.  i would bring it with me. i drove around in my car and worked well lol.

Badge

We use our T-Mobile High Speed Internet Gateway in our Motorhome, take it with us everywhere. There really isn’t any set location at all. The overall speed is determined by the availability of the 4G & 5G signal strength but it’s worked in many many campgrounds.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have a look here: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/account-suspensions

Badge

None of the options are very attractive. If I’m reading the policy correctly, you’d have to do two 90-day suspensions, and you wouldn’t be able to use another one until 12 months later (possibly from the second suspension).

Carrying the device with you is fine IF you have room in your luggage (I don’t), and if you can get T-Mobile service in your other location (I can’t).

I encourage everyone in this situation to cancel and return their devices each year and restart service when you get back. It will be a hassle, but it’s a much bigger hassle for T-Mobile. If enough of us do that, they’ll soon offer a no fee, 6-month suspension option (as more and more other ISPs do).

FYI, three separate Comcast Xfinity sales people told me that I would have a no-fee, six-month suspension option. All three were either lying or mistaken. They also misinformed me on the effect of suspension on the introductory pricing. Contrary to what all three said, the time continues to run out while you’re on suspension.

Badge

It looks like that page people are linking to is about suspending your T-Mobile phone account, not your internet service.

Badge

We were thinking the same thing.  I was wondering how big is the TMobile device?  An old fashioned coffee can?  A tube of Pringles?  An original Amazon Echo?

unless you are really into watching circles rotating on your screen and unplugging and plugging back in your device, I’d try to find a different solution. I have been on tmobile internet for a week and am getting really disgusted. I have been on hold for 11 + minutes wawiting for an “EXPERT” so I can ask why my device says connection is GOOD and my download speed is 4.18 mbps. 13 minutes now and counting

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I personally have not tried taking my TMO router with me to another location. I was under the assumption it is tied to your activated location since it has built in GPS. if other’s on this thread are saying otherwise, it’s worth a try once to see if it works. Assuming yes, you could always try to buy your own TMO router on eBay or Amazon for you seasonal home and just take the sim card with you when you change locations. I know sim swapping works because when TMO sent me a Arcadyan router to replace my Nokia, all I had to do was insert my Nokia sim into the Arcadyan and I was up and running.

Disclaimer - I am not telling you this will work, but only suggesting a possibility. You would assume the risk of buying a TMO gateway and not working as you need it, but also not able to return the gateway for a refund. Please try at your own risk.

Yes, it cost $10/mo while home internet is suspended. Returning equipment is a pain and you lose you place in their limited 5G home internet (celluar) service, which you might not get back if they are fully subscribed in your area. You can only suspend it thru your online login twice in 12 months for 3 months at a time. You have to wait each time until is is reactivated (you will receive an email), then go into the account and suspend it again. The rep. told me if you call they will allow a third suspension (I’m away for 9 months). I haven’t tried that yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes, it cost $10/mo while home internet is suspended. Returning equipment is a pain and you lose you place in their limited 5G home internet (celluar) service, which you might not get back if they are fully subscribed in your area. You can only suspend it thru your online login twice in 12 months for 3 months at a time. You have to wait each time until is is reactivated (you will receive an email), then go into the account and suspend it again. The rep. told me if you call they will allow a third suspension (I’m away for 9 months). I haven’t tried that yet.

but how long after the second suspension does it need before you can suspend it again the next year? does it reset at the beginning of each year or does it need a certain amount of months in between before it resets?

i dont use TMO net but noticed this was asked a bit above.

You can do two suspensions in a 12-month period (not a calendar year) starting from your first suspension.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so after that second one the timer starts ticking and 12 months later you can do it again? or each year starts fresh and you have 2 suspensions available at the new year?

As I stated, it is not based on the calendar year. It is two suspensions during any twelve month period. I assume the clock starts ticking with the first suspension.