Question

T-Mobile Home Internet Service - BYOD?

• 3 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just switched to the T-Mobile Home Internet; received my gateway device; and  I am not happy with signal strength of the device.  I am put on Band 12 most of the time and speeds are terrible.  With my previous provider I used a MOFI 4500 modem on AT&T network and I could lock in to Bands 2 & 4 exclusively and I had no speed issues.  I ordered myself a MOFI 5500 model which includes the 5G bands to use instead of the T-Mobile provided device.  When I moved the sim card from the T-Mobile device to the MOFI 5500 it registers on the network but no internet connection.  If I move the sim card from my phone to the MOFI 5500 it registers on the network AND I have internet connection.  Is there a restriction on the sim card for the T-Mobile gateway device?  How can I make this work?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That’s a tough one. Sorry you’re not happy with the gateway device. There’s not a restriction on the SIM, however, when using a device we don’t send you, there’s a chance it may not work with the plan or hardware (i.e. SIM) for that service. We can have our gateway device connection troubleshot, and even have the hardware replaced if there’s an issue with it. Our Tech Care team can escalate a Trouble Ticket too if needed if you’re not getting the service you’re expected to get in your area.

I have the T-Mobile home internet service also. Signal is typically 2 bars. I don’t always have a secondary signal. The internet connection drops at times. Speeds are good when a secondary signal is available. I believe t-mobile should allow byod such as the mofi 5500. The Nokia gateway is very limited. There are no external antenna options unless you open the case (I have not done this.) The mobile application crashes and the interface stinks. You cannot lock bands.

Rural America, including myself, have used Mofi and other similar devices with external antennas for years. A BYOD option would be an excellent T-mobile public announcement to keep T-Mobile home customers and attract new customers. It would be win win since T-mobile still gets paid. 

Does the device of t-mobile home internet provide 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz bands at the same time? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Does the device of t-mobile home internet provide 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz bands at the same time? 

This thread is not about Wi-Fi, but yes the T-Mobile Gateway supports simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi connections.