Question

T-Mobile Home Internet - Setup Fixed IP

Badge

How can I set FIXED IP’s? I need fixed IP for my printer and cloud device, because with DHCP, every time I restart devices, with random IP, I lose mappings and have to refresh settings all the time.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Need more details, but here are my assumptions and suggestions:

First, if your devices had static IP addresses from your previous internet gateway/router, it is highly likely that it was using a different subnet than TMO gateway/router. Unfortunately, there is no feature in the TMO gateway/router where you can change the subnet address.

If this is the case for you, then you could try adding a separate router and then creating the required subnet and static IPs on the new router. You will need to connect your router to the ethernet port of your TMO gateway and then set your new router to DHCP. Yes, you will have 2 layers of DHCP (TMO + new router), but it should work. However, several users that tried this have reported various apps and devices not working. Search for “double NAT” and see if any devices or apps you use show up for more details.

Adding additional router would give me a static IP inside the house, ie., printers, netflix etc - but how static IP for outside the house? Work from home requires whitelisting of IP to multiple logins. Can’t whitelist Dynamic IP’s. Tried to follow links for Tmobile business internet (But none of them are working?) Just looking for a solution to actually use this internet :D

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Adding additional router would give me a static IP inside the house, ie., printers, netflix etc - but how static IP for outside the house? Work from home requires whitelisting of IP to multiple logins. Can’t whitelist Dynamic IP’s. Tried to follow links for Tmobile business internet (But none of them are working?) Just looking for a solution to actually use this internet :D

At current, there is no support for static IP address for your TMO gateway.

You will need a home router that supports DDNS services. 

Instead of another router, you would need a switch.  That would allow you to set static IPs and be able to meet your work from home requirements.

How can I set FIXED IP’s? I need fixed IP for my printer and cloud device, because with DHCP, every time I restart devices, with random IP, I lose mappings and have to refresh settings all the time.

This is why you typically give devices a name and you point to the name instead of the IP address. The DHCP lease may be too short, so if any of the devices are disconnected past the time to live (TTL) time, then they will receive a new IP address. If you create a network port using the printer name, then the IP won’t matter as the DNS will find the IP with the printer name.

The alternative is a feature called DHCP Reservation on most routers. Not sure if the T-Mobile device can do this. If it doesn’t, you can find a cheap home router on eBay that has this feature.  Reservation will assign an IP address you reserve tied to the MAC address of the device. So, whenever your devices talk to the DHCP server, it will always get the IP address you’ve reserved. This is like giving the device a static IP, but it is managed on the router level not device level. 

Or, t-mobile could fix their crappy home internet router so it is usable. Every other router on the market is more flexible and comes with the ability to configure the settings. What crap.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You can get a an additional cost fixed external IP address with a T-Mobile Business Internet plan, and some users have gotten fixed IP addresses by using various VPN services.

Don’t blame the router for this (although there IS a lot to complain about in the way they’ve locked down the routers in firmware).It’s not the router, it’s the service outside your house, after it leaves your router, that causes the inability to get a fixed IP address via router settings. It has to do with T-Mobile’s infrastructure, using 464XLAT and CGNAT to translate IPv4 addresses into IPv6 addresses to move data over their network and then translate it back to IPv4 addresses at the other end (and again on the return trip).

Getting a fixed IP address is going to cost extra, whether you use a T-Mobile Business Internet account with fixed IP address or a third-party VPN service with fixed IP address capability.

rockstr, that's not the issue. some of us want the router handing out DHCP addresses to keep assigning the same ips to some devices. I just power cycled and 2 security cams came back with new ips, so now I have to reconfigure the NVR. This is why I will be dropping Tmobile home internet. it's just not ready for prime time. with other solutions, I won't have to buy my own router to deal with what should be a standard feature. bye bye Tmo.

The Nokia 5g garbage can will not handle what is mentioned above. 

I have business and used they gray home internet. I asked about static and had to get an inseego fx3100 from them. less than 5 bucks for a static ip a month. inseego gives you major functionality as well as DHCP