T-Mobile Home Internet slowed to failure of service

• 26 September 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

There seems to be a fair number of home Internet customers who had good service a few months ago and now practically have no service. T-Mobile is just giving us the runaround, they give equivocating responses about congestion on their system,  which of course is their responsibility. They sold it to more customers than it has the capacity to serve  

And finally they tell you they have no plans to improve their capacity, so if you don’t like it you should leave. What’s the contact point for the FCC Complaints? Has anyone contacted any other agencies or law offices yet?

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Bring a lawsuit, contact the CEO, tell him you are holding your breath until you turn blue unless your service is fixed immediately. Or just switch to a provider that gives you more reliable service, if you’re lucky enough to have reasonable alternatives in your area. Which makes more sense for your happiness and well being?

I disagree about the number of people who have good service for months and then it gets bad. Yes, it happens. But given that there are hundreds of thousands of T mobile home internet customers, the dozen who report on this discussion board having good service for months and then having it go bad and having to leave is tiny. It’s smaller than people who sign up and are excited, but when they get it they have terrible speeds or an unstable connection. And that, too, is a relatively small number, less than 5% of new customers probably.

As for me, having some kind of internet is important enough to me that I wouldn’t be able to tolerate having it out for hours at a time, or having my speed drop to something that is glitchy or unusable for periods. I like TMHI a lot, and my speeds are 20x faster than DSL, but I could only put up with real problems for something like a week before I would ditch this and crawl back to CenturyLink DSL. I’d probably try TMHI again in three months and see if they fixed the issue, but that’s only because my alternative area providers are so bad, as in slow, overpriced, and the satellite one here is unreliable.

It would be a terrible business plan for T mobile to allow their towers to go over capacity to a point where hundreds of cell phone and TMHI customers suddenly have terrible service.

I can appreciate how frustrating or disappointing it would be to have good service and have it go bad, but realistically, there’s only so much Tmobile can do on their end. It’s important to call them up and tell them that you’re experiencing a certain problem because maybe they can trace that to a problem with the tower equipment, if enough people in your area report it. You’ve done that.

This 5G over-the-air technology is not as easily fixable or easy to pinpoint a problem as something with wires and lines. For example, Verizon could put up new cell equipment or a new tower, and it might cause a signal conflict with a certain radius of transmission from your Tmobile tower. So it’s not Tmobile’s fault all the time. But issues like that might take some time for Tmobile and Verizon to work out between themselves.

I hope you have a good, stable alternative in your area, who won’t be jacking your price up every few years.

Userlevel 1

Living in the suburbs of B'ham AL, I've had experience similar to Timsw. I generally get fast.com download speeds in the 100 to 140 Mbps range. I've had the service for about four months, and I've had to restart the can maybe three times. I'd been paying $75 a month for Spectrum Internet with speeds mostly about half of what I'm getting now, and Spectrum price rises about every 18 monts, so I'm a very happy camper.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don't believe that it is my responsibility to do TMobile's job and spend hours on the phone with tech support and see little change. They are unable to provide a reliable service. They know the status of their towers and just shine on callers offering little help. After 3 weeks of 0.12 mbps service, I'm ready to go back to the dark side next week and sign up with Spectrum, who just lowered their price to $49.95 month

We have been on the phone with TMobile for many many hours changed our home internet router twice have been told our internet service was fixed and its still bad.  Extremely slow speeds cut outs endless buffering etc. which started in Feb 2021 when TMobile was upgrading to 5G. We had a few time periods where its was acceptable but now its literally unusable. Not sure where to go for reliable affordable Internet service as we can stay with this failed experimental system, go back to DSL at $89 a month or get a Hughes system.  What is very frustrating is its not just me lots and lots of people have the same problems and TMobile seems to be pretending everything is fine

So…I got my new 5G gateway a few days ago hoping to throw Spectrum to the gutter with a swift kick. The first one they sent (Ark something or another) simply didn’t work at all. Spent an hour on the phone with Tech support and they finally said “Well we’ve had problems with those before, so we’ll send you a new Nokia one. It’s much better.” First question, why the heck did you send me the crappy one first? OK, to their credit they overnighted me the new one and I had it at 10:00 in the morning next day. Good service. 

Set the new one up I‘ve been a network/security IT person since 1975 so I‘m not totally unaware of how things work.) Terrible speeds. Another hour+ with tech support. He said he is filing a support ticket with Engineering. I ‘ll hear back by Monday (Started Wed.)

So we got it so I could get about 4 to 5mbps download, enough to sluggishly work. I had a bad night last night and was up almost all night. I kept Testing it with Speedtest.net and low and behold, at 11:30pm I was up to 70Mbps down and 35 up. At 3:00 am I hit 180Mbps down and 42 up. Ok - so it’s obvious that they have overloaded the tower near me. It’s on a major road with thousands of cars during the day, with everyone on their phone or texting, or surfing. To prove it, by 10am it was down to 25Mbps down and at 2:30 (about when all the ankle biters get out of school) I was down to 2Mbps or 0Mbps. Yep, that proves to me that T-Mo is a victim of their own success. Until they get the “new” 5G Ultra Capacity (UC) where I am it doesn’t stand a chance.

I‘ll wait until Monday to talk to them again, but I have about zero faith it will be fixed.

S

Yup that's what we have been experiencing for 6 weeks after new router and hours on the phone with an oversees tech who calls as late as 9:30pm.  She said she passed the concern on to engineering but I have no hope for a quick fix except that we had 11 months of ok service pe is going back to the local internet providerrior to Feb 1st.  My brother switched to T-Mobile home internet last month and he has the same issues so he is going back to the local internet provider.

I will wait until the end of the month but if it is not fixed we are going back to DSL.

Thanks for the info!

There seems to be a fair number of home Internet customers who had good service a few months ago and now practically have no service. T-Mobile is just giving us the runaround, they give equivocating responses about congestion on their system,  which of course is their responsibility. They sold it to more customers than it has the capacity to serve  

And finally they tell you they have no plans to improve their capacity, so if you don’t like it you should leave. What’s the contact point for the FCC Complaints? Has anyone contacted any other agencies or law offices yet?

has this issue been addressed, I just received my 5G Home Internet and was ok with the speeds the first day but by the second one and now today it's well below the LTE speeds I was really hoping this would be my breakaway from the cable company.....

7 weeks later and after hours on the phone l keep hoping for better service but nothing has changed. No one has called back to give me a status update despite a promise to do so last week. I did request and receive a one month credit on my bill but that's it. With all the time I have spent on trying to receive the product they advertised  it does not compensate me for my time or frustration. 

I think if there are enough people with the same problem we may get traction with the government regulator's like FCC, State Attorney Generals offices etc or at least get our complaints on record. Most importantly if we all put out a heads up on social media outlets maybe more people wont fall for the false advertising and extremely poor internet service. 

We found a DISH TV package that includes satellite internet so planning on trying that out assuming they dont improve our service.

Like Timsw, I live in the suburbs of Birmingham AL. I usually get 100-140 Mbps downloads with fast.com. A little over a month with the service, I've only had to restart the can 3 or 4. In the past, I'd paid $75/month for Spectrum Internet at speeds around half of what I'm getting today, and Spectrum prices raise about every 18 months.

7 weeks later and after hours on the phone l keep hoping for better service but nothing has changed. No one has called back to give me a status update despite a promise to do so last week. I did request and receive a one month credit on my bill but that's it. With all the time I have spent on trying to receive the product they advertised  it does not compensate me for my time or frustration. 

I think if there are enough people with the same problem we may get traction with the government regulator's like FCC, State Attorney Generals offices etc or at least get our complaints on record. Most importantly if we all put out a heads up on social media outlets maybe more people wont fall for the false advertising and extremely poor internet service. 

We found a DISH TV package that includes satellite internet so planning on trying that out assuming they dont improve our service.

Are you the same person as me? Lol I am having the exact same issues. Terrible service.

Badge

Same problem, the trash can worked then didn’t work. Got the excuses, then TMobile added a second trash can to my account. WTF? I call for help and they open a new account. This is a fraudulent business practice of virtual bait and switch, for me by duality. Then they send my account to collections for 2 trash cans returned and cancelled. Document your interactions with this company, the class action lawsuit is coming for stealing from customers who have valid complaints. File your report here or the FCC, Run away from this service. T-Mobile USA, Inc. | Better Business Bureau® Profile (bbb.org)

Same problem, the trash can worked then didn’t work. Got the excuses, then TMobile added a second trash can to my account. WTF? I call for help and they open a new account. This is a fraudulent business practice of virtual bait and switch, for me by duality. Then they send my account to collections for 2 trash cans returned and cancelled. Document your interactions with this company, the class action lawsuit is coming for stealing from customers who have valid complaints. File your report here or the FCC, Run away from this service. T-Mobile USA, Inc. | Better Business Bureau® Profile (bbb.org)

T-Mobile was a great option for me 4 months ago. 150-250 mbps everyday no issues. Then in the last month all month I get 25mbps down to no internet at all. Then 2 min later back to 25 then 2 min later 2 or 3 mbps or nothing. Where is my 150-250 I started at? I am thinking of At&t if they have it here. Woodland, WA 97632

I had great speeds from Feb to Mar then the bottom hit. I always had 75 to 110 mg at night and early in the morning. Then it would slow from 25 to 40 mg during the day. The leaves have filled in on the trees and now I get 35 to 55 mg late night and 10 to 20 early in the morning. After 11:00 it slow to .5 to 3.5 mg and it is is really slow all weekend during the day. I check with my wife’s phone and it is the tower being congested not a problem with the the trash can. I am about ready to go back to DSL even at 6mg it is better if it is constant. I live in a rural area and find it hard to believe the tower gets that congested with out some major area of concentrated houses. It seems T-Mobil doesn’t really care about poor service as most wireless do. I think they need a good class action suit.

I do not have any leaves in the way. I can look right at the tower from on my hill. This is them adding a crap load of customers but not the hardware to handle. Went 3 months with great speeds then crap! Trach can in the same spot for 3 months. I have moved it but the same crap speeds. I am usually pretty loyal in life but truely looking at other options. DSL & Cable not available here.

Most of what they are trying to do is piggy-back the 2500mm wave (5G) signal on the 4G LTE signal. This keeps going down constantly in my area. I call and complain about every other day. I work with networks everyday and have for the last 15 years. They have tried to BS me and when I pointed out their BS, they hung up on me. I have even contacted corporate and they are now ignoring me. I have posted on social media and gotten more of a response. When it works, it works great. I like the service. I only want someone held responsible for the mess.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I quit

Badge

I've had Tmobile for 18 years. They have gone from absolutely the best cellular/Internet provider to right there in the garage heap of bad products, terrible services, and questionable business practices. 

In the beginning you couldn't pay me to switch service providers. Now I'm in the process of checking out the competition. There are some good alternatives to what Tmobile expects customers to put up with. 

They don't bother sending me surveys anymore. I tell them that no I don't or wouldn't recommend Tmobile to friends or family.