T Mobile home internet under 1mbps speeds

• 18 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

got up this morning and i’m only getting 500-800kbps download speed on my t mobile home internet, i’m located in arlington va, is it just mine thats messed up or is this a more widespread problem, have tried multiple resets through the router itself, as well as powering it off for about 20 minutes, no luck.

3 replies

Having the same issue. Was getting in 100s last decent was 89. Now 5-3-10. Don’t know what happened.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I’ve had this TMHI for 3 months and never got a speed drop to 1, nor have I gone without a connection longer than the time it took to restart the gateway and the two minute wait to reconnect. Your problem isn’t widespread currently, nor is it a problem that a majority of TMHI users have at any time.

That said, the drop to a snail speed or no connection at all for hours, is a problem a small percentage of customers may have persistently, and if those people have another other service provider options available in their area, they usually drop TMHI.

However, it could be your tower is down for maintenance, and that shifts you to a tower that is more distant and/or has more obstructions. The downtime could last between an hour and weeks. You can try calling service to see if they can tell you if the tower in your area is undergoing service, and sometimes they can tell you it is, which is a good thing to know if you are willing to wait. When calling, I suggest you use the call back option, because their service department is busy and waiting on the phone for an hour or more is exhausting for some people.

Some people have persistent problems with almost no speed like yours from Day 1 and for them they don’t know if it is tower maintenance, a defective gateway (modem/router), or one of those things where their house is in a dead zone.

Although it is relative to what people were using before, and their speeds, costs and experience with that. I understand that for some people it is totally unacceptable to be without Internet, or with such a a slow connection, even for a few hours, especially if they don’t know it’s going to be up and running within a day. It’s all about luck and timing.

So far you did what any person should do in your situation, tried re-starting your gateway while wondering is this ever going to come back. It seems like in an area as populated as Arlington, VA, they wouldn’t be able to just leave a tower down for days.

As far as a problem with the gateway itself going bad, having a 5G phone available to test if you can connect to Tmobile with that would be a good way to see. Anyway, if you do get back up and running fine again, please post in this thread. It’s good to know the time people spend with slow service or no service before it is resolved.  

got up this morning and i’m only getting 500-800kbps download speed on my t mobile home internet, i’m located in arlington va, is it just mine thats messed up or is this a more widespread problem, have tried multiple resets through the router itself, as well as powering it off for about 20 minutes, no luck.

I’m across the river in DC & for me, getting “good” speeds (at least 40 Mbps down/4 Mbps up) appears to be very dependent on getting the secondary (n41) signal.  If I’m stuck w/only the primary (B2) signal, then I’m in single digits Mbps range & I have to reboot, sometimes several times, to get the secondary signal back. What’s frustrating is that I know where the closest 5G tower is & the direction to point the router/”trash can” to get the secondary signal, but turning the router away from that tower can get me higher speeds temporarily (from a few hours to a couple days, the highest being 218 Mbps down & 14 Mbps up) before the secondary signal cuts out & I have to reboot & point the router back at the 5G tower.