Solved

t-Mobile Home Network Problem connecting to 2.4G wifi

• 6 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Cannot view T-Mobile Home Internet wifi on Toshiba Laptop running windows 10.
Laptop works with 2.4g cable wifi.
establishing 2.4G wifi SSID, it still does not see that option in list of wifi networks.
Have other devices, laptop , tablet and phone that all work with T-Mobile Home Internet on either 2.4G or 5G.
Roku device only works on 2.4G cannot see 5G T-Mobile Home internet device.

Any ideas ? 

icon

Best answer by dilbert 6 October 2021, 23:10

View original

8 replies

Cannot view T-Mobile Home Internet wifi on Toshiba Laptop running windows 10.
Laptop works with 2.4g cable wifi.
establishing 2.4G wifi SSID, it still does not see that option in list of wifi networks.
Have other devices, laptop , tablet and phone that all work with T-Mobile Home Internet on either 2.4G or 5G.
Roku device only works on 2.4G cannot see 5G T-Mobile Home internet device.

Any ideas ? 

I think we need a device that has a USB port holds an internet chip, this device is powered by a USB port giving you more freedom to place it anywhere.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

How old is the Roku?  Mine only connects to 2.4 Ghz

Badge

My ROKu is 2019.

Found that I can connect to my phone as mobile hotspot as well as wife's phone. Only difference between mobile hotspot and Home Internet 2.4G channel is Network channel. Phone network channels are 11 but home internet device is using channel 1. 

could that be reason for not seeing Home Internet d vice on my laptop ?

Badge

It appears that the T-Mobile Home Internet and my iPhone 5 do not play well together.  I have spent hours on and off with tech support and we have not found the issue.  We have split the 2.4 & 5 g networks and no help.  We have reset all the phone settings and no help.  We have tried to use “other” on the wifi selection no help.

One of the T-Mobile reps said my phone was “broken”.  Strange how it works great on a T-Mobile hot spot, a Google router, an AT&T DSL router, a Mediacom router etc, etc , etc.  

Not sure what the issue is BUT it is not my phone.  I also have an Alexa remote switch (2.4g) that does not work.

Wish T-Mobile would take this as a real issue and fix it.  Love the system in general (400 down and 75 up) but they need to fix the 2.4g problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

When you are trying to get it to connect to the gateway 2.4G wifi are there any error codes reported? If your Roku only supports 2.4 GHz then you could change the channel from 1 to 11. The T-Mobile gateway is probably set to auto. With the Nokia gateway it is easy to change the 2.4 Ghz channel. With the Arcadyan gateway you should check out Nater Tater’s YouTube videos as he has information for making config changes to the Arcadyan. It will depend upon how comfortable you are with the process with the Arcadyan gateway. If you are not tech savvy then find a friend that is a geek that just like to help out and that might be an option. 

There is a bunch of good information at the link below: (Roku Support)

https://support.roku.com/article/115015760328

Badge

Thanks for the comments.  I may have taken the non-geek way out.  I plugged in my “old” systems Google router into the Gateway ethernet port and WOW, it just went to working.

Now have a Gateway wifi address and password and the Google wifi and password.  It was kind of scary how easy it was.

I do like the T-Mobile Gateway.  400+ down and 65+ up.  The Google router is slower but for the older devices it doesn’t matter.

Thanks again.

I’m trying to connect my eufy robovac and I couldn’t. It uses 2.4 ghz. I need help!!!!!

Badge

If you have the round gateway, in the 2.4 settings, change the transmission to n/g.  Works every time.  If you have the newer square gateway, your laptop won’t work.  I had to buy a USB network adapter.  Not happy about it.