Question

T-Mobile internet

• 12 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

My modem/router is only showing two bars. My app says I have a weak signal. My speednet checks are from 250 to almost 400 mbps. I am not complaining but I am confused. 

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My modem/router is only showing two bars. My app says I have a weak signal. My speednet checks are from 250 to almost 400 mbps. I am not complaining but I am confused. 

First forget the app on your phone log direct in http://192.168.12.1/

It’s not all about the bars it’s about Quality of the signal. So you can have a high quality weak signal that gives you good speed.

Like some other on here you can have 5 bars but crap speed. This is caused by to much noise and this causes the signal to be degraded even though it is powerful.

Imagine this you live far from the tower so you have a weak signal. But in your area there is not much to interfere with the signal say farmland. So you have 2 bars but they are really good and you get good speed. Now say you have 5 bars and live in a very congested area towers all over the place this and that transmitting so much noise so much interference. So yea you got 5 bars but so much interfering with your signal it can hardly work.

Badge

Thank you for that explanation. Yes, I do live across a lot of farmland to the tower. I have moved this router all over my house without picking up more than 2 bars, but the least speed has been 127. What you say makes sense.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thank you for that explanation. Yes, I do live across a lot of farmland to the tower. I have moved this router all over my house without picking up more than 2 bars, but the least speed has been 127. What you say makes sense.

If you are happy with what you have you are good. But if say you wanted more an external antenna would give you a boost especially if you are far out with little interference in the area.

There are a few post on here about my setup and there is a good Facebook group dedicated to this internet service T Mobile Home Internet lots of good info there too.

But again if you are good with what you have that’s what counts.

I am considering T-Mobile internet but my 5G iPhone 13 only shows one or two bars, sometime 5G and sometime 4G LTE. Using it as a wireless hotspot has very low speeds less than 10 MBS. 

Is it worth giving the T-Moble internet a try? If I could get 50-100 MBS down it would be worth it. I would  even be willing to go with an external antenna but with 35+ wireless devices and several streaming services, it needs to be reliable. Thinking of giving it a try for a month or two before cancelling Comcast.

Towers (band 71) are within a couple of miles. T-mobile cell spot works great but without it phone calls drop a lot.

Thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I am considering T-Mobile internet but my 5G iPhone 13 only shows one or two bars, sometime 5G and sometime 4G LTE. Using it as a wireless hotspot has very low speeds less than 10 MBS. 

Is it worth giving the T-Moble internet a try? If I could get 50-100 MBS down it would be worth it. I would  even be willing to go with an external antenna but with 35+ wireless devices and several streaming services, it needs to be reliable. Thinking of giving it a try for a month or two before cancelling Comcast.

Towers (band 71) are within a couple of miles. T-mobile cell spot works great but without it phone calls drop a lot.

Thoughts?

An iPhone 13 is one of those phones with great 5G equipment inside, and it is doubtful the gateway will outperform it. So I’d say you’re liable to get the 10Mbps or less and be disappointed. That said, sure, an ext. antenna could help considerably, but sometimes they don’t work at all for some people, and I’m sure you know there is no port for it on the gateway and the gateway has to be disassembled and rigged with pigtails to even plug an antenna in. There are videos that show how to do that. The Waveform antenna and kit is the best, and you mount it and point it at the tower with the 5G on it.

Given your poor 5G speed iPhone at your location, reliability is doubtful, even with an antenna that works. In general, slow speeds, although there are exceptions, tend to go along with an unstable connection and unreliability. Fiber is reliable. Most people’s DSL and cable connections are pretty reliable. 

Thoughts?

An iPhone 13 is one of those phones with great 5G equipment inside, and it is doubtful the gateway will outperform it. So I’d say you’re liable to get the 10Mbps or less and be disappointed. That said, sure, an ext. antenna could help considerably, but sometimes they don’t work at all for some people, and I’m sure you know there is no port for it on the gateway and the gateway has to be disassembled and rigged with pigtails to even plug an antenna in. There are videos that show how to do that. The Waveform antenna and kit is the best, and you mount it and point it at the tower with the 5G on it.

Given your poor 5G speed iPhone at your location, reliability is doubtful, even with an antenna that works. In general, slow speeds, although there are exceptions, tend to go along with an unstable connection and unreliability. Fiber is reliable. Most people’s DSL and cable connections are pretty reliable. 

Thanks! I really would like to dump Comcast if T-mobile internet works but do have concerns. No fiber in my area. 

I think I am going to do more testing with my iPhone 13. Only once so far have i been able to get download speeds over 100 mbs and that was outside. Going a mile or so away from home I can pull 300+.

A consistent 100+ would be fine but unless I can find a sweet spot you are right, I will be disappointed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I think I am going to do more testing with my iPhone 13. Only once so far have i been able to get download speeds over 100 mbs and that was outside. Going a mile or so away from home I can pull 300+.

A consistent 100+ would be fine but unless I can find a sweet spot you are right, I will be disappointed.

That’s a good sign, being able to get over 100 outside. I get the best speeds with the gateway elevated a foot, turned a certain way, and in a window facing the tower. My speeds there are just as good as outside or on the roof. If you have a 2nd floor or attic, or anyplace high up in a room, preferably with a window facing the tower, those are good places to try also, places where you’d be unlikely to use your phone but where you can put the gateway.

The pricing of T mobile home internet is such a pleasure after DSL, and I know Comcast is the same, where the price keeps going up. I’d have to call and talk them down to something reasonable. And for me, of course, there’s the thing about T mobile being 20x faster.

Badge

Why not try it?

There's no contract and you'd know quickly and could send it back and be out only $50 or perhaps T-Mo would waive charges if you were unhappy.

Why not try it?

There's no contract and you'd know quickly and could send it back and be out only $50 or perhaps T-Mo would waive charges if you were unhappy.

I am planning to sign up next week. Anybody know how long it takes to get to get the modem/router?