T-Mobile, Please read this! High Speed Gateway Problems!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I had the original LTE Gateway and it was decent. Upgraded to the High Speed Gateway and even though my speeds and general connectivity are better, there is something seriously wrong with the Home Internet Service. Why are a lot of the settings and features that were in the original Gateway not available on the new 5G Gateway? My biggest issue is the fact that my Google Home Devices do not want to connect or stay connected once they are! I only have a Mini, Insignia speaker, Lenovo clock, Google TV, and one smart bulb. A lot of the time, the devices show connected but don't work. It takes a lot of effort to even get them all connected. I've even tried changing the security to WPA/WPA2 + TKP (SP?) as recommended for older devices that may not see your network. All my devices see the network and even connect but there is a major issue with the Gateway or Home Internet service that won't allow them to connect properly or stay connected. Very disappointed and this is a first for me feeling this way about T-Mobile. I had much better service with the old Gateway and tempted to keep it and return the new one even though I have better speeds and 5G. I might as well use my phone unlimited hotspot or my tablet which I've used as hotspot and never had issues with using my devices with it. Expected way better than this. I understand there are limitations compared to regular wifi service but not this. Basic settings and features are not enabled for some reason, yet they were on the old Gateway. That's my rant. I'll be reaching out to them but felt the need to post here and look for some help or answers.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

There should not be any issue connecting smart devices. I can turn on my tablet hotspot, connect everything and they stay connected indefinitely. I connect everything through my Gateway and the next morning, I'm lucky if one if one my speakers is still connected properly. It might say connected and show it in the Google Home App but "something went wrong" or "there's a glitch, try again later". If I reboot the Gateway, sometimes they'll connect again. I have reset all my devices, the Google Home App, and my Gateway so many times, factory resets too. But nothing works. I can use the WiFi on my TV and Laptop and usually don't have any issues except the speeds dropping out but I can live with that. I just want the same functionality as normal WiFi or my old LTE Gateway. I don't even use VPN or do gaming but I don't imagine I would be able to do any of that. I can't even watch Peacock or Disney Plus which I hope is fixed at some point as well as being able to connect and stay connected to my smart home devices.

Badge

same issue here. been on with customer service numerous times and they are inept.

Badge

I had the original LTE Gateway and it was decent. Upgraded to the High Speed Gateway and even though my speeds and general connectivity are better, there is something seriously wrong with the Home Internet Service. Why are a lot of the settings and features that were in the original Gateway not available on the new 5G Gateway? My biggest issue is the fact that my Google Home Devices do not want to connect or stay connected once they are! I only have a Mini, Insignia speaker, Lenovo clock, Google TV, and one smart bulb. A lot of the time, the devices show connected but don't work. It takes a lot of effort to even get them all connected. I've even tried changing the security to WPA/WPA2 + TKP (SP?) as recommended for older devices that may not see your network. All my devices see the network and even connect but there is a major issue with the Gateway or Home Internet service that won't allow them to connect properly or stay connected. Very disappointed and this is a first for me feeling this way about T-Mobile. I had much better service with the old Gateway and tempted to keep it and return the new one even though I have better speeds and 5G. I might as well use my phone unlimited hotspot or my tablet which I've used as hotspot and never had issues with using my devices with it. Expected way better than this. I understand there are limitations compared to regular wifi service but not this. Basic settings and features are not enabled for some reason, yet they were on the old Gateway. That's my rant. I'll be reaching out to them but felt the need to post here and look for some help or answers.

Agreed! I have also updated to the Nokia and only had problems since. The firmware is made by Tmobile and is very poor. The gateway itself is great (see: Nokia FastMile). Tmobile seems in no rush to fix the issues.

Biggest problem is the lack of “bridge mode” which would allow the use of a better router.

The router function of the gateway does not have port forwarding and many standard ports are closed by the firewall. So you cannot access things like security cameras and the NAS from the internet. Cannot ftp, cannot use VoIP phones. it’s a sucky router.

Additionally it seems to lose the 5G connection unless it is rebooted often. Some users have had better success by cooling the unit with forced air. But that is not a long term solution.

The old LTE gateway worked much better. The speeds were in the 50s but constant. The Nokia gets 150Mbps at 2am and 2 Mbps during the day. No, thank you!

I have a “tech ticket” open with low expectations. I will ask to go back to the LTE one.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You are correct about the grey Gateway “trashcan” unit not allowing connections to IP phones. I contacted T-Mobile multiple times about this and filed two trouble tickets.  Have heard nothing back, zip, nada.  The last T-Mobile rep I spoke with honestly told me not to expect an answer!  What kind of customer service is this? 

My IP phone is useless because I cant make or receive any calls.  The Gateway is not user configurable to allow access to the necessary ports and I’ve been told I’m simply out of luck.  I’ve been a T-Mobile wireless customer for more than 20 years, but that doesn’t seem to matter.  I don’t even think T-Mo reps read what gets posted in this community, as I have yet to see one respond to an issue.

If the older LTE gateway will allow connections to IP phones I would ask for that as a replacement.  But I’m not sure even that would fix the problem.  If anyone has any suggestions I’d welcome them.  Thanks.

I could not connect my Ambient Weather station.  I was told by support that the high-speed gateway did not support dynamic IP addresses and would have to wait until the next generation of gateway due either 1st or 2nd quarter of 2022.

We switched over from AT&T a couple months ago because I thought speed increase might be beneficial. But it doesn’t work with our Amcrest security cameras and doesn’t work with Cisco AnyConnect which my wife needs for work. It “sees” the cameras and sometimes after a long while it even connects for a minute or so. Cisco AnyConnect will sometimes connect briefly, but far too slow to be usable. If there were settings I could change I might be able to work around the issues, but there’s nothing the user can do with the  Arcadyan gateway. 

for some odd reason. my gateway Shuts down and restart automatically. any suggestions?

I connected our VoIP phone to a wifi extender completely separate from the router, and the phone works fine.  I wish I could say the same for the home internet...

Apparently tmobile doesn’t monitor this at all. I’m having the same issues as so many other people above. I have had the home Internet service for four years and 10 months. I recently had to give up my old gateway simply because the battery had failed. I had zero issues with that gateway. Now with the Nokia gateway my download speed currently is about 3.13 Mb. With 106 ms latency. I have called three separate times. Like others I have played move the router around the house. Yes, that extra 15 foot really helps, NOT!! You guys have factory reset my router multiple times and restarted it. And it runs fast for about 3 minutes then falls on its face. The last person I talk to was dismissive of my complaints and actually said Tmobile wasn’t very good at doing this, I agree with her. What happened to the great T-Mobile service? I guess I’m gonna have to look elsewhere, I hate to leave, but if you guys don’t care, why should I. 

I love love TMobile for mobile service.  However, in densely populated areas, the 5G Home Network is useless.  I believe it has zero issues to do with the brand of the router.  Mine was mounted on the wall in front of a huge window (no sun) and street intersection and always read “very good.”  I bought 2 eero pro 6e mesh, and they really showed me the issue.  The internet would drop off after a minute or two.  Tech support talks about congestion, and I believe that is the case.  Where I live is densely populated, and too many people are trying to use the same tower.  I could get ok internet between 7am-11am and then again after about 3pm until the school year ended.  Then every day was as bad as weekends.  While we loved the idea, and were so excited when it was finally available in our area, the service was unacceptable for us at this time.  I boxed up and brought the router back to the store today and cancelled the service.  The clerk said, “well it’s not for everyone.”  LOL what an understatement!  We had a mailer with spectrum for $49.99 for a year including the advanced wifi router, $50 off, and free mobile phone.  We ordered and picked it up within an hour.  I set it up last night, and after 3 weeks with TMobile’s Home internet, we are so happy we could almost cry!

I've been trying to get answers from them about my Tmobile network not being visible to my tablets for 2 months. They have until the end of the billing cycle to fix it or I'm calling spectrum too.