Question

T-mobile Wifi Gateway Home Internet

• 8 October 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I recently got the T-Mobile home internet wireless gateway. My connection to the tower is very good to excellent. Download and upload speeds are great 40-50+ both directions! 
problem is, it randomly stops providing internet. Meaning, shows will be streaming at length with great speed and then boom. Dead stop. Jump on my mobile device and hit speed test on google, no internet access. I’m still connected to the device, the device is showing connected to the tower with great signal strength, it just seems to stop providing data.

Sometimes it starts working again after 30 seconds, then maybe 15 minutes, then maybe I have to go and physically power cycle it. After said time when it does start working again, speeds are great, but the random downtime’s for no reason are puzzling and frustrating.

is it just not reliable yet as it has been referred to as a “pilot” service?

15 replies

Badge

I’m also having this issue with slow speeds, but seems to get stuck in slow speed and will occasionally go to higher speeds. Wonder if there’s a limit to how many devices can be connected to the router? We are large family and easily have close to 20 devices. 

Same issue.  Every day it stops working. The app shows it has good connection but tv won't work.  Have to unlpug it and reset it, happening almost every day 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Sometimes the deprioritization seems to just run amock... have literally seen it drop into 3g mode and get dialup speeds.

Could also be having issues with tower swaps as well.  Service can stall for a bit if the handshaking doesn't go smoothly.

I have two main towers in decent enough range to net speeds close to what I could get from Spectrum, then still two others I can often secure around 20-30 down in a pinch.

Mine seems to try to swap between the two 40+ towers during times of congestion.  They are near equidistant... I can force a swap by just moving the box from one side of the desk to the other.  To lock the others I have to move about half way across the room in opposite directions.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I started out with 100 Mbps range speeds, everyday it would have to be reset, 3 weeks later 5g (N71) stopped being received. Stuck with 30 Mbps as low as 8 Mbps in the evenings. 

They already replaced the Modem/Router (Nokia) no help. 

Customer service started out nice but no longer hear back from them, still no 5g. 

I tried for 5 weeks to make this work but made the decision, I think today, after one more call to TMobile I am going back to Spectrum for a year with 100Mbps service for the same price. (1year price) I will retry TMobile next year, I have nothing against TMobile but I do want a refund, I was told to expect a min of 25 Mbps and I cant even get that.

My Spectrum service was rock solid, always got above the 100 Mbps but the company su*** for raising our rates about 70% over 4 years. However now that I canceled them they will welcome me back at the lower price for a year, Hopefully by the time the year ends TMobile is working correctly. 

Im just typing this because for 5 weeks I worked on this day and night, alone with calls to TMobile and nothing worked, frustrated I even filed a compliant with the FCC because I do not have useable internet and I am paying for it.

There seems to be some corruption starting in their service department. Im not sure but I used to get a call back to see if the service was working, I no longer do and found out my service tickets are being “closed” without anyone contacting me to see if they corrected the issue. 

Two support tickets #51147292 and 51452604 I found out the 51452604 was closed out only to be reopened once I called again, and once again, almost one week later I never heard back, so will call them today. 2-11-21

I just got it and I’m having the same problem. Worked good for about 2 hours and now it’s just super spotty. No better then having my phone connected to the fire stick. Ugh. 

The issue continues. Setup home internet on 8/24/21 and had 5 bars for one day. Next day it dropped to 3. I tried every conceivable location inside the house to get back to 5 bars but never found the spot. Next day it dropped to 2 bars and has not improved. Internet has stopped working 9 times today. I have the same problems as everyone else posting about this: hot Nokia gateway, spastic upload/ download speeds, etc. 3 more weeks and I can go back to Spectrum as a " new " customer until this beta test gets resolved. Crazy thing is when I check my address for T-Mobile home internet availability, it says it's not available yet. I signed up a year ago to be notified when it became available. And a T- Mobile rep called me at the end of July to get me setup. 

They have a lot of work to do to get all of this fixed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes a lot of work...I’ve got the 4G LTE home internet for about a year now and it works ‘okay’ but it’s just me using it and it slows and buffers (on TV) every evening.. I bought it hoping to soon upgrade to 5G but It still tells me it is ‘unavailable’ in my area…. Signed up on the ‘Upgrade’ and “Notification’ list for 5G 6-8 months ago and nothing...nothing….nothing … despite having solid 5G service on my phone from T-Mobile….

given the issues with the 5-G gateway maybe that’s not such a bad thing. :)

Badge

Yes a lot of work...I’ve got the 4G LTE home internet for about a year now and it works ‘okay’ but it’s just me using it and it slows and buffers (on TV) every evening.. I bought it hoping to soon upgrade to 5G but It still tells me it is ‘unavailable’ in my area…. Signed up on the ‘Upgrade’ and “Notification’ list for 5G 6-8 months ago and nothing...nothing….nothing … despite having solid 5G service on my phone from T-Mobile….

given the issues with the 5-G gateway maybe that’s not such a bad thing. :)

The website application process gave me bad positive result, based on their own error which I later corrected, and got the bad news which you get.

Let me explain a bit.

I entered my proper street address, but when I submitted the information, the web page had silently changed the street address, so initially, I got a false positive saying it was available. When I went to place the order online, I see the address is incorrect, I fixed it, and when I go to submit the corrected information, I got an error.

Ok, lets re-do that whole thing from the start. I entered the proper street address again, but this time I forced the web page to accept my correct street address, submitted that and got the ‘not yet available’, like yourself.

I dwelled on that for a week or so.

I then realized that my One Plus Nord N10 was usually getting 4 bars of 5G, +/- 1 bar, so why would the web site say  ‘not available’. I then drove to a nearby T Mobile brick and mortar store. The 2 youths there both said no go. So, same story as website, not available at my location.

Next day, I’m in a different location, I went to a different brick and mortar store and that guy worked with me and I’m happily posting from T Mobile Home Internet using 5G. I have a very steady 3 bars on the gateway, not ‘stunning’, but sufficient for me to stream HD to the TV, one dropout in over a week.

Moral to my story: if anyone local to you has the 5G service, maybe you could push to get the setup, since you have decent cell signals - don’t always trust the techno-kiddies at the brick and mortar stores. After all, this is a no questions asked situation - return it at any time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yep!

I just set up 5G internet last week and have had nothing but trouble.  I work from home and every web meeting drops all day long.  The TVs lose signal over and over all day.  It's pretty terrible.  I end up turning off wifi on my phone and using it as a hot spot for my work meetings. I called support and opened a trouble ticket 5 days ago.... not a peep from anyone.  I am going back to AT&T giga-power.  If you count the actual up time, it is less expensive than this!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry to hear that @JolieB . :(

I’ve been using the 5G gateway for almost two months now and it is wonderful! Have had only a couple of very short outages...speeds have been amazing for the most part but definitely slows down at high-traffic times (late afternoon/early evening). Otherwise I love it!

I picked up the internet gateway 3 days ago, and I am having to power cycle the unit multiple times a day when the internet just stops working completely. The display on the gateway says I still have service, but clearly the internet has stopped working completely, requiring a power cycle. If this is the way it's going to go, I will have no choice but to reconnect my Cox modem and live with it for the time being.

my wifi will not accept tmobile internet wifi,  I have an android with tracfone ervice

I have T-mobile home internet about 2 months. Connection quality gateway to the internet usually is very good. Down load speed about 35-45 both directions almost the same. The problem which bother me is sometimes  no internet. Some times internet restored itself in 1-2 min, sometimes I need to connect it. It’s annoying and it’s frustrating. Is it possible to fix? How?

We are seniors and don’t do gaming or classes online. We’re retired and might stream a movie once in a while but we do enjoy exploring the WWW. I would advise people who need their internet service to be able to handle this kind of content then go with any wired internet service. EXCEPT FOR CENTURYLINK! Fiber optic might be the way to go even for you old folks.