T-Moblie vs Spectrum (Upper Maine)

• 21 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

On a good day,

On Spectrum I'm getting  Download-468 and Upload-28.  This is on their mid level plan (400Mbps)

Spectrum -$70 mo. will increase to $90 after 1yr

T-Mobile- $50 mo. fixed

Getting 20ms higher ping times with Tmobile gaming (spectrum is 27ms), Have no issues with steaming movies or multiple devices connected pulling data at one time (2-wireless phones, 2-laptops and streaming Apple TV). Tested pulling 20Gig file while watching 4K video with no glitches.

Although, sustained speed fluctuation with T-Mobile is an issue with downloading games from “Game Pass- 190-3Mbps, expected some wait time”

I’m using a Netgear 4750 router connected to it handling all network traffic.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Looks like some pretty desirable stats there, but you aren’t saying what it is on a bad day. One thing you might consider is that you are on the n71 low-frequency 5G band and should your tower ever upgrade to the n41 mid-frequency band equipment, that has a faster speed range and your download speed could jump by 100 or more. There’s no guarantee they will do that in the next months or year, but in some places they are doing it.

Although some people get great ping on Tmobile, it is expected for many that ping on this is a little higher than cable or fiber. It’s up to you whether the extra price for Spectrum is worth it. When your price jumps to $90, you might want to consider either trying T mobile again to see if it has improved in your area, or at least tell Spectrum you’re considering a switch, unless they can offer you some incentive to stay with them.

One thing I should mention, the guy I mentioned below who got the bargain price had been with Spectrum for a long time, and his price and gone up and up, because that’s what they do. You may not have as much leverage if you’re a new Spectrum customer, but with many customers who quit Spectrum, they will often give you a reduced price of $50 for a year as a way of saying, “Thanks for coming back, and we look forward to price gouging you in the years to come.”

One guy on this board mentioned that he was paying $130/month for Spectrum but when he called them up to discontinue service, telling them he was going with Tmobile home internet, they gave him a special price of $20/month for one year to keep Spectrum. What I’m saying is you have some leverage going for you if your Tmobile service is decent enough, so it could be a win/win situation either way.

When I called to discontinue my overpriced snail-paced DSL with CenturyLink, they tried to get me to keep the service “as a backup for a while” and I said I’d consider it for a few months for $2/month. LOL. Seriously, for me, Tmobile is more than 20x faster, and although my stats aren’t as good as yours, because the tower I connect to five miles away has n41, I get an average download speed of 190, and up to 350.

Badge

with many customers who quit Spectrum, they will often give you a reduced price of $50 for a year as a way of saying, “Thanks for coming back, and we look forward to price gouging you in the years to come.”

Yup, can confirm. I called Spectrum yesterday to cancel their internet service. The phone rep offered me $50 a month promo for a year to stay with Spectrum. After the promo period, my monthly rate will go up again! I replied, I’d rather not have to haggle and bargain every time the promo is over. It gets old.