Solved

Tell Me What's Happening Here . . . .

• 24 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Okay, I just hooked up my T-Mobile gateway, which is the tower one.  After downloading the T-Mobile Internet app and setting it all up, using the ridiculously long passwords on the back of the gateway, I connected my eero 6+ to one of the ethernet ports.  Everything is working fine.  My download speed went from 181 to 241!  BUT it shows I am connected to my usual Wi-Fi network name and not the T-Mobile one.  I can’t connect to the T-Mobile one because it says the password I type in is wrong.  So, how did the name and password of the network stay the same?  Was it because of the eero?  If so, why is there now also showing a secure T-Mobile network on my network lists that I can’t connect to?  I have a Cox modem for landline and internet, but I disconnected the eero from the Cox modem and, as I said, it is now connected to the T-Mobile tower.  And it must be T-Mobile I’m using, since Cox has never been above 181Mbps.

icon

Best answer by dbeit1954 24 August 2022, 22:54

View original

7 replies

Badge

Your eero 6+ is a router, by plugging into the gateway (tower) your existing network stayed in effect just now powered by T-Mobile.  That is what I did.  I only connected to the T-Mobile WiFi with my iPhone everything else is using my router and not the gateway.

My gateway had two sets of passwords, one for WiFi, one for Admin.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I understand now.  But my desktop, which was the first device to accept the T-Mobile gateway, no longer would, no matter what I did.  The phone, Fire HD and Sony TV finally connected after the desktop and stayed connected.  Not the PC, though, so I am currently back to using the Cox modem. :(

Once I connect my T Mobile 5G, should I disconnect my modem because I don't want Cox as my internet provider  anymore. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Once I connect my T Mobile 5G, should I disconnect my modem because I don't want Cox as my internet provider  anymore. 

Disconnect your Cox modem if you do not have a landline, too.  If you are using a router instead of the Cox modem/router, that needs to be connected to the T-Mobile gateway, if you do not want to use the T-Mobile router. Also, make sure you call Cox and cancel your internet service.

I am using T Mobile  Gateway, so no further need for the Cox modem that I purchased. Thanks very much  for your help!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I am using T Mobile  Gateway, so no further need for the Cox modem that I purchased. Thanks very much  for your help!

You are welcome.  We have a landline, too, so had to get a phone/internet modem from Cox.  It’s an FCC rule and free, but I would much prefer buying my own modem.

Gave up my landline years ago and don't miss it!