Question

Ten Device Limit

• 1 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Can I connect an extender as one 1/10 devices for band then connect more devices to that extender to essentially loophole the ten device limit?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You don’t specify what device you are talking about when it comes to this limit.  However, if you are talking about some sort of wireless or even the T-Mobile Wireless Home Internet Modem.  An extender might but might not.  I don’t have the T-Mobile Wireless Home Internet and I don’t have anywhere near enough devices to max out either of my home networks, but it depends on how whatever we are talking about limits the number of devices.  If it is by connected IP address, then using an extender is still going to assign those devices on the extender IP addresses.  If it only looks at devices directly connected to it, then that should work.  

Badge +1

Yes - talking about TMobile’s home internet. You’re allowed ten devices per band (2.4 and 5.0). When trying to connect a smart home with two teens, that number quickly grows. Disappointing bc for more devices a minimal connection is all that is needed (Echo, thermostats, plugs). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I would say your best chance is by connecting one wired.  On my network here, all of my Amazon devices and streaming players are connected to a single router acting as an access point and everything else connects to the modem directly.  For me, that just makes troubleshooting easier.  As mentioned before though, I don’t have T-Mobile’s Wireless Home Internet.  Have you checked the manual for the LTE Gateway?  From what others have mentioned, it is a pretty basic gateway with very little options, but it might offer you more of an answer.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/lte-wifi-gateway-digital-user-guide

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just re-purposed my old router. I guess it’s technically called double NAT. This is what I did:

• Change router WAN/Internet config to “Static IP” set to 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1 (address of T-mobile device) and used Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • Connect WAN/Internet port of router to one of the two ethernet ports on the T-mobile gateway
  • Set router’s DHCP range to 192.168.100.2-254

At this point you could disable the T-mobile’s wifi and just use your router’s. Or you could use both, as I’m doing. I put all my home automation devices (Echo, smart outlets, thermostats, etc.) and streaming devices on my router’s wifi and everything else (laptops, PCs, printers, phones, tablets) on T-mobile’s. I probably have about 40 devices total, all working fine.

One potential issue with double NAT is that devices on one of networks (router’s LAN) can’t see devices on the other (T-mobile’s LAN). This is why I put devices that need to talk directly to each other (computers and printers) on the same LAN and things that don’t on the other LAN. Of course using your router’s LAN entirely and not using T-mobile’s at all would also solve this problem.

Badge

I just re-purposed my old router. I guess it’s technically called double NAT. This is what I did:

• Change router WAN/Internet config to “Static IP” set to 192.168.1.2, gateway 192.168.1.1 (address of T-mobile device) and used Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
  • Connect WAN/Internet port of router to one of the two ethernet ports on the T-mobile gateway
  • Set router’s DHCP range to 192.168.100.2-254

At this point you could disable the T-mobile’s wifi and just use your router’s. Or you could use both, as I’m doing. I put all my home automation devices (Echo, smart outlets, thermostats, etc.) and streaming devices on my router’s wifi and everything else (laptops, PCs, printers, phones, tablets) on T-mobile’s. I probably have about 40 devices total, all working fine.

One potential issue with double NAT is that devices on one of networks (router’s LAN) can’t see devices on the other (T-mobile’s LAN). This is why I put devices that need to talk directly to each other (computers and printers) on the same LAN and things that don’t on the other LAN. Of course using your router’s LAN entirely and not using T-mobile’s at all would also solve this problem.

Would your set up allow hosting of OpenVPN?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Would your set up allow hosting of OpenVPN?

I don’t think so since the T-mobile gateway is not in bridge mode. Sorry