Solved

The wifi box does not give the correct location on the Ethernet cable which also mean mesh wont work

• 24 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

So I returned the box and the second box has the same problem. I have been to the store. I have been to the help line in India. Nobody seems to know they have a problem. I have my computer Ethernet cable plugged directly into the T mobile wifi hub and when I look at my location it changes every time I power the box off and back on. Since my mesh plugs straight into the WIFI I can’t use my mesh for any sort of alarm clock, weather ,or location. The guy at the store said these are so new that it may take a while to get the bugs out. This sucks. My mesh is worthless. TMobile doesn’t even seem to know they have a problem. I wish I could get somebody to plug an Ethernet cable into their T Mobile modem and run any one of many web site  that will tell you your location.

It is definitely nothing on my end. The Ethernet cable is a completely different hardware connection to the internet than the Tmobile signal coming in and being broadcast on WIFI. I ma going to try this for a little while and then take it back for the huge fight in the store.

icon

Best answer by ghostlee13 25 November 2021, 05:43

View original

6 replies

Badge

For some reason I am having trouble with the grand finale. Tmobile says that they can’t help me. As best I can tell the real internet that is connected with the cable shows the location of the mother-ship Tmobile office that is the basis for the cellular signal. Not the tower. So there is no fix for this problem. They talked about setting the mesh to another default gateway but said that had to be done by google.That would still only fix the mesh location not anything else on the network.

So I think we have proven that the TMobile internet service is not compatible with the Google Mesh. I hate that. I have a lot of smart devices that work off of the mesh. I really want my alarm clock, weather and other functions to be local. I guess I will return it Friday.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

For some reason I am having trouble with the grand finale. Tmobile says that they can’t help me. As best I can tell the real internet that is connected with the cable shows the location of the mother-ship Tmobile office that is the basis for the cellular signal. Not the tower. So there is no fix for this problem. They talked about setting the mesh to another default gateway but said that had to be done by google.That would still only fix the mesh location not anything else on the network.

So I think we have proven that the TMobile internet service is not compatible with the Google Mesh. I hate that. I have a lot of smart devices that work off of the mesh. I really want my alarm clock, weather and other functions to be local. I guess I will return it Friday.

Take a breath.

OK I have the Google mesh plugged into the TMHI gateway and I have no issues at all everything works and has been working for months now.

So yes on some services like I was at bestbuy.com today it thought I was in NYC by default. I simply selected change my local store put in my zip code done stores near me. The issue is when a website thinks where your ISP’s IP is your location but you can always update this.

None of this has any effect on Google mesh or any of my google minis, hubs, thermostats, cameras it all works as it should.

All Google services are based off the Home address you have set in your Google account and have nothing to do with your ISP. You can ask Google “what's my home address” for me it give me my address since that is what is set on my account. If you are getting no answer or something diff you have the wrong home address in your Google account that again has nothing to do with TMHI.

Everytime I have called support I get someone in TX with a southern accent. Sometimes when I call the regular cell CS I have gotten a woman in France. I did not have any issues as they helped me with what I needed no matter their location. Not sure what you have against people in India?

So set your home address to the right location and things will start to work and stop being prejudice.

Badge

Take a breath.

g

Interesting: This was what Tmobile said about this issue:

Hello Joe, I get where you're coming from, family is certainly important. We've conferred with our tech team about this issue, it's been something they've seen before and unfortunately not something that can be corrected through our gateway support. I do want to be transparent about this so our time together is spent wisely. If there were a resolution we'd be all over that for you in a heartbeat. Our development team is aware of the issue so feedback has been passed along.

Tmobile wanted me to set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.252. Google tech support said no. They wanted it left at 255.255.255.0. I don’t even have to have the mesh plugged in. I have a computer plugged straight into the box and it says I am in Miami Florida. Where did you set the address? T Mobile doesn’t seem to know where to do this. The wifi works fine. The Google Home knows where it is.

I also have no problems with people from India. I just didn’t really know if they were tech support or exactly what they were called.

What exactly is a TMHI gateway?

I had Google and Tmobile help lines on chat both at the same time. I was copying back and forth between them. TMobile finally admitted they knew it was a problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Take a breath.

g

Interesting: This was what Tmobile said about this issue:

Hello Joe, I get where you're coming from, family is certainly important. We've conferred with our tech team about this issue, it's been something they've seen before and unfortunately not something that can be corrected through our gateway support. I do want to be transparent about this so our time together is spent wisely. If there were a resolution we'd be all over that for you in a heartbeat. Our development team is aware of the issue so feedback has been passed along.

Tmobile wanted me to set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.252. Google tech support said no. They wanted it left at 255.255.255.0. I don’t even have to have the mesh plugged in. I have a computer plugged straight into the box and it says I am in Miami Florida. Where did you set the address? T Mobile doesn’t seem to know where to do this. The wifi works fine. The Google Home knows where it is.

I also have no problems with people from India. I just didn’t really know if they were tech support or exactly what they were called.

What exactly is a TMHI gateway?

I had Google and Tmobile help lines on chat both at the same time. I was copying back and forth between them. TMobile finally admitted they knew it was a problem.

Call support 5 times likely you will get 5 different answers. I go with what I know works and I have the same setup that you have on the same gateway and it works no issue. I did not change anything from the default. Takes 1 sec did you as Google what your home address is? is it correct? I set my home address in my Google account and as a FYI you can set your address for 911 purposes in your T Mobile account for your lines. https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/change-your-billing-and-e911-address

So first see what your devices think your address is make sure that is correct. If I as my Google for the wether I get the weather for my home address.

Again to be clear if I check the address of my IP that is assigned to my by TMHI right now it says I am 50 miles away in another town. BUT this has totally nothing to do with my smart home devices they all provide the correct info for my home address. I hate to say it forget what support told you go with what works and is real that works for others.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The gateway does not have a geolocation function, so your location will be determined by the dynamic IP address. It's a known issue, but it's only lasted in reference to not being able to use services like Hulu or Sling Live. 

Badge

I seem to have the same root problem, although I’m only using the router built into the gateway. However, it seems to think I’m connected somewhere in Sacramento, when I should be close to San Jose. It’s not a huge problem, except when a web page tries to pull local information, such as the nearest store when I’m looking for a particular product in inventory, or run speedtest, etc. While I can work around it, I have to constantly change the location. This is a problem with all of my windows computers, but doesn’t affect my Pixel phone.

As mentioned above, it seems like the network is configured to provide the location to the gateway based on something other than the tower that the gateway connects to. While I agree there is a simple work around for this, it is a pain to constantly change the location (maybe I do too much comparison shopping). It also seems like a simple configuration change on T-Mo’s part, since no other internet that I have ever connected to had this issue. 

Anyone from T-Mo want to comment on if this is going to be fixed?