this internet

• 3 December 2020
  • 16 replies

Badge

How is 1MBPS and lower acceptable why did they ask me what I was going to use my internet for if they cant provide me with the speed I require simple just 1 device a ps4...

16 replies

Badge

So I can't even get some customer support

Same boat.  This is the third time I’ve called in. I’m not paying for this.  

Same here. My T-Mobile Home Internet was great for the first couple of weeks but the last couple of days has slowed to like 8kbps so that it is useless during the day. Seems to pick up a bit at night, just enough to do some streaming, but definitely not what you would call blazing. Might be dropping this soon. A shame, too.

Badge

Same here not getting any speeds above 2.46Mbps. I’m going to keep trying a few more days and I’m done. 

Same stupid problem, i just got the box and i see that this is a recurring problem. The speed is horrible unusable ans no customer service. I'm in Los Angeles, and my phone is getting 90Mbps...if they don't respond I'll return this crap.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Yeah... the clamping during congested times is absurd. 

The other day around lunch time it was backpedaling through different 3g modes and barely giving 1mbps occasionally... most the time YouTube stats were showing less than 800kbps and it was buffering every couple seconds at 720p.

Does it again around 8pm for about an hour (eastern time).

Other times, regardless of 1 green LTE bar or 4, 20-80mbps down, upstream anywhere from 7 to 40mbps.

If they could just set a floor for the throttling, like 10/2 or something so it is at least somewhat usable?

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem.  I get maybe 1mbps some times, at 3 am I can get upwards of 3 mbps down, and maybe 7 up.  Most of the time though I'm getting .5 mpbs, sometimes down to .01 MBPS.  Far cry from the supposed 25 they claim as minimums.  I'm also on hold with the support line for ... 2 hours and 33 minutes right now.   Looking at the FAQ and seeing them claim that one of the benefits of this service is having access to customer support to help you is really a knife in the back right now.

Userlevel 1

I’m tired of this.  I’m about to cancel it.  Worst than dial up sometimes.  I have talked with customer service and went through their troubleshooting and they will look into it and give a call back in a week.  They never called me back.  My phone can be in the same spot as the modem and get fast download speed, but the home internet is always SLOW unless you are up in the middle of the night.  It’s not worth $50 a month! Can’t wait for Starlink!

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1
I’m tired of this.  I’m about to cancel it.  Worst than dial up sometimes.  I have talked with customer service and went through their troubleshooting and they will look into it and give a call back in a week.  They never called me back.  My phone can be in the same spot as the modem and get fast download speed, but the home internet is always SLOW unless you are up in the middle of the night.  It’s not worth $50 a month! Can’t wait for Starlink!

Your phone will always be faster. Home internet is at the bottom of the priority list. Everyone else is getting the bandwidth before you sadly. Cell phone will always have priority over whatever bandwidth is on the tower at the time. Its where tmobile makes its money.

Userlevel 1

This may be true, but understand that they are selling this as that they are putting it only in places where the customers can get speeds near 25mbps.  If you never get near 3mbps, that's false advertising..  No matter whether you are prioritized or not.  Plus, its statistically impossible for there to be that much usage 24x7 in any service area, and if there is.. then why would that area be approved for home internet? 

Userlevel 1

The fine print and stuff negates the whole false advertising thing.

But even with that out of the question. There is way more at play then just a tower being loaded and that can statistically be possible 24x7.

A tower can have any type of fiber connection to it. Rather that is a 25mbps connection or 100mbps+ connection(s) to it. That fixed pipe is shared by all the companies that use that tower. Generally the companies will negotiate for a fixed amount of that pipeline. So depending on the pipeline to whatever tower you connect to you have a fixed amount. Then you have weather conditions effect lte signal, solar activity effects lte signal. A leaf can degrade that signal. So many variables come into play, heck even a microwave being turned on can cut your lte signal in half from the interference.

There cell maps generally give them a good idea of rather you will get signal or not but its not fool proof and doesn’t account for things like your wall interfering with the signal, line of site, ect.

Its hard to say about your specific situation without knowing more info and a screenshot from the tmobile apps cell signal info. A speed test doesn’t really say anything other then your speed to the speed tests server is slow.

You could have been on something like band 2 with a 10bandwidth before and now its switched you over to band 12 with only a 5 bandwidth connection. Maybe you are now connected to a different tower altogether because the other is down for upgrades. Like I said its hard to say without having them stats of before and after.

The nice thing about it is that noone is locked into any type of contract. You can come and go as you wish if the speeds are not upto your liking. Generally they try to make sure that you will get atleast 25 mbps but reality is generally way different then that. I know some people get 5 mbps. Some get 250 mbps. Everyones spot is different and lte signal is no grantee at any one spot sadly. 

Its why when people have other internet options I tend to always say if you have some type of fixed line no matter the speed. Its generally going to be way more reliable in the long run.

We have both att fixed wireless and tmobile home internet as a backup for that.  The ATT one connects to a tower 23 miles away and averages a 83 mbps down and 42 mbps upload. The Tmobile Home Internet connects to a tower 2.4 miles away and gets on average 13 mbps down and about 6 mbps up. 

Userlevel 1

The fine print and stuff negates the whole false advertising thing.

But even with that out of the question. There is way more at play then just a tower being loaded and that can statistically be possible 24x7.

A tower can have any type of fiber connection to it. Rather that is a 25mbps connection or 100mbps+ connection(s) to it. That fixed pipe is shared by all the companies that use that tower. Generally the companies will negotiate for a fixed amount of that pipeline. So depending on the pipeline to whatever tower you connect to you have a fixed amount. Then you have weather conditions effect lte signal, solar activity effects lte signal. A leaf can degrade that signal. So many variables come into play, heck even a microwave being turned on can cut your lte signal in half from the interference.

There cell maps generally give them a good idea of rather you will get signal or not but its not fool proof and doesn’t account for things like your wall interfering with the signal, line of site, ect.

Its hard to say about your specific situation without knowing more info and a screenshot from the tmobile apps cell signal info. A speed test doesn’t really say anything other then your speed to the speed tests server is slow.

You could have been on something like band 2 with a 10bandwidth before and now its switched you over to band 12 with only a 5 bandwidth connection. Maybe you are now connected to a different tower altogether because the other is down for upgrades. Like I said its hard to say without having them stats of before and after.

The nice thing about it is that noone is locked into any type of contract. You can come and go as you wish if the speeds are not upto your liking. Generally they try to make sure that you will get atleast 25 mbps but reality is generally way different then that. I know some people get 5 mbps. Some get 250 mbps. Everyones spot is different and lte signal is no grantee at any one spot sadly. 

Its why when people have other internet options I tend to always say if you have some type of fixed line no matter the speed. Its generally going to be way more reliable in the long run.

We have both att fixed wireless and tmobile home internet as a backup for that.  The ATT one connects to a tower 23 miles away and averages a 83 mbps down and 42 mbps upload. The Tmobile Home Internet connects to a tower 2.4 miles away and gets on average 13 mbps down and about 6 mbps up. 

Mantikas v. Kellogg Company... fine print doesn't always save you.  But in layman's terms, I still expect at least a semblance of what I'm paying for and was sold when I asked these questions. The bigger issue here, is the lack of ability to get a tech on the phone.  A support line that holds you for 4 hours then just ends the call.  A Twitter response thats exponentially faster than the actual support number, (oddly that dept isn't affected by COVID or these holidays that everyone says snuck up on them this year) but that just directs you to the support number you just told them no one answers at.  Also, if you can't get anyone on the phone, makes it hard to cancel.. considering there is no other way to do so except find a store, if they have one near you... maybe.  My signal says excellent or very good and still band 12 bandw 5.   They knew my exact address from the start.. I live on top of a hill 2 miles away from the tower.. my microwave isn't running, its winter and all around me are hardwoods.  (Leaves are hard to come by) oh, and these 2 month long 1am solar interferences seem to be news.  Hell, id be happy with 13 mbps down.  .01 MBPS isn't it.  While speedtests aren't perfect, my connection to their servers individually would be the same as a connection to any servers, except those are usually closer in proximity and so it should be faster.. they are just hosts placed on the internet, they aren't specific to speedtest.  Plus, just to be sure I also use Google version.  Also hooked up an external booster outdoors pointed right at the tower just to improve already good signal and to eliminate any wall interference.  Again, the speeds are the symptom, and thats one thing...  The bigger problem is the lack of support.  And no, solar flares nor COVID are good excuses for a support line being on hold for 4 hours then just hanging up.  Thats a call manager configuration.  Hard to cancel when you can't talk to a human and have to resort to a community forum where you reply directly to an employee and still get no response.   The fact that you've responded more than any TMobile employee at any level should be telling.  And don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your input and at least attempt to rationalize it but you are defending the wrong folks against the wrong person.   Maybe you haven't spent a total of 30+ hours just on hold to get hung up on after 4 hours or just give up after 2... but frankly I don't care of the contract with the local carrier isn't good enough, and NO CUSTOMER SHOULD.  Its simple, can you give me the service I need and am paying you for or not.. and can you answer the phone for a customer in a timely manner so I can get that answer. If you can't, tell me that and I will cancel happily, no harm no foul.  Maybe you don't care because its just a backup for you.. one that actually works.. but there are many people on here who are paying the same as you, and getting nothing.  This has gotten too long, and I'm sure you are right about their internal issues.  Seems to me that since they had to tell congress that they would provide home internet to so many people in order to get their merger this may be the way they are doing it.. numbers over quality.  Maybe thats wrong, but guess what.. having been a Director of a tech support center and been in Operations for over 20 years one thing I know for sure..  if you don't communicate with your customers, they have to come up with their own ideas about what is happening and thats not the customers fault.

thanks