Question

TMHI Gateway Ring System with Eero Mesh Issue

• 18 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

When I had cable internet, with my Eero Mesh system, my Ring Security system, camera’s and other devices never had an issue. Since hooking up my TMHI Arcadian Gateway a few weeks ago, I am getting frequent alerts that my camera’s, bridge’s and other devices are dropping offline.

I continue to have internet access but the other devices fail to connect. Is this a Eero compatibility issue? Ring issue? T-Mobile issue?

Thanks.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It sounds like you disconnected the Eero mesh network and are now only using the TMHI gateway. It could be as simple as your Internet signal isn't as strong as it was with the Eero and those devices are dropping off the network, or there is an incompatibility in the network.

The easiest thing to try is to create a separate 2.4 MHz network with WPA/WPA2 security. Your default network is WPA2/WPA3. Use the T-Mobile phone app and tap the Network tab on the bottom, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your security devices. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and then click Save. Your gateway will reboot.

Go back to one of your devices that is problematic and clear out the existing WiFi information. Next, enter your new network SSID and password. See if that doesn't fix your problem. I'd try it one device at a time to see if the new network you created solves your problem.

I am not an Eero expert, but I expect that there is a mode for it called Access Point mode. In a nutshell, it allows the Eero to broadcast the network throughout your environment and use the T-Mobile Home Internet gateway for access to the Internet. It's possible that the WiFi signal from the T-Mobile gateway just isn't strong enough to stay connected to those external devices. If they stayed connected via the Eero before you purchased T-Mobile, that may indeed be your problem.

Good luck!

Badge

Thank you for the reply. The SSID on the gateway was not the same as the EERO. Just to be safe, I just changed the SSID on the gateway in case any of my devices were trying to connect to the old SSID. I’ve also switched the EERO to bridge mode. I will see if that fixes it. Thank you again.