Question

TMOBILE 5G HOME INTERNET FAILSAFE

• 6 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just subscribed to the T-Mobile 5G Home internet service.  I ordered the service to be an automatic failsafe backup when my Altice home internet happens to go down for whatever reason. So when I lose internet from cable. The T-Mobile gateway kicks in ASAP.

What is the best and easiest way to set this procedure up?

I want to connect my Arris cable modem to one of the ethernet ports on the back of the T-Mobile Gateway device.  Then run another ethernet port from the second port on the back of the Gateway to my NetGear Orbi wireless router.

If NOT I will just send it back and get a NETGEAR LTE modem

Thank you

Have a nice day

4 replies

Best way to achieve that, plug up and power up your router when you get it. Set up the equipment. If your primary happens to go out for whatever reason, your computer should automatically connect to the Tmobile router if it’s set up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

IMHO, TMHI is not a good backup plan for other ISPs. The big failure point is widespread power outages. T-Mobile does not backup all (or even most) sites (towers) with generators to provide power during blackouts. Rather, relying on batteries which last only a few hours. Additionally, when lights go out an the wired ISPs and TV stops working, everyone gets on their cell phones and starts chatting, saturating the capacity. 

WE have T Mobile Internet and it goes out with a power outage. Can’t  it be backed up with some sort of a charged up battery?

Badge

WE have T Mobile Internet and it goes out with a power outage. Can’t  it be backed up with some sort of a charged up battery?

It’s called a UPS