Question

Tmobile 5g home internet + Xbox Series X not compatible

Badge

Thanks to T-Mobile’s Test Drive, I can try out the home internet for 15days. I’m getting good speeds and so far so good… I was really happy with the service until………

It’s not compatible with my Xbox Series X. Apps like YouTube, Twitch, Hulu all work. But if I want to play games online, that’s where it doesnt work. I get disconnected from the games respective servers. Doing a test on the network I get UPnP unavailable. I can retest until the UPnP is available but as soon as I start playing a game online, it disconnects. 

I see that I can attempt to connect a wireless router but I cannot control any settings on the App or if I log into router via a web browser. The only thing I can do is change names and passwords, but nothing else. Can a wireless router be connected to the gateway? If so, which brands will work best?

There are other posts about this issue but no answer. I hope there is a solution or else the home internet goes back to T-Mobile and they will lose out on $50/month. 

23 replies

T-mobile uses only ipv6 on their at home network so its likely impossible to get upnp working on your xbox.

Badge

That’s what I’m afraid of. Can one connect a wireless router to the gateway to get it to work? Or would you just say its a lost cause? No sense in having the T-Mobile home internet if it can’t be used on all devices. 

Hey guys we dumped spectrum and got the T-Mobile at home internet we have the grey cylinder one it’s so fast! My question is I hooked my ps5 right up no problem but when I try to connect my series x it’s says no connection when I enter my password, any suggestions? 

I currently have the same issue. Did you ever get yours resolved? 

We are having this issue all of a sudden.  It has always worked fine and just stopped working.  Anyone have any luck?

I found a couple things to try. I have it connected now. Try connecting to your wifi, but intentionally input the wrong password. Then try to connect again and input the correct password this time. Some have said they’ve had luck with that. 

What I had to do: Log into your router using your web browser. Once in there you will select networks from the menu. (You can select either 5ghz or 2.4ghz. If your Xbox is close and gets a good signal I would select the 5ghz network). From there you will find a drop down that show SSID 1 if you use the 2.4ghz or SSID 6 (I think) if you select the 5ghz network. On the drop down select the next SSID. You will change the name to whatever SSID you want. Then you will see a spot for a password that you can change. Change that to whatever you want. Just remember it. You are basically creating another network on your router. Go back into your Xbox. Find your new network and log in. Don’t ask me why another network SSID works and the original one doesn’t.

I found a couple things to try. I have it connected now. Try connecting to your wifi, but intentionally input the wrong password. Then try to connect again and input the correct password this time. Some have said they’ve had luck with that. 

What I had to do: Log into your router using your web browser. Once in there you will select networks from the menu. (You can select either 5ghz or 2.4ghz. If your Xbox is close and gets a good signal I would select the 5ghz network). From there you will find a drop down that show SSID 1 if you use the 2.4ghz or SSID 6 (I think) if you select the 5ghz network. On the drop down select the next SSID. You will change the name to whatever SSID you want. Then you will see a spot for a password that you can change. Change that to whatever you want. Just remember it. You are basically creating another network on your router. Go back into your Xbox. Find your new network and log in. Don’t ask me why another network SSID works and the original one doesn’t.

Is this with a specific router? How do I log into it on safari?

This is for the silver/grey cylindrical router/modem. Look at the bottom of your router and there will be an IP address with a user name and password (never share that password and user name with anyone). In any browser go to the address bar and type in the IP address just as it is printed on the bottom. It should look something like 192.168.12.1 I'm not sure what the default IP address is off hand. It will take you the router "web page" You'll be asked for the username and password. Once you get logged in you'll be able to follow my previous post. 

Is anyone else having an issue with their 5G home internet service. Our service keeps dropping. The send us a new gateway and like always it runs fine for about a week or 2 then service drops right in the middle of the day. It doesn't start running smoothly until hours later.

Mine will work only if I hard connect to the Xbox using a cat5e cable. 

I was playing Xbox live no problem the first 3 weeks I had my T-Mobile 5g box now I can’t play it says UpNp unsuccessful..

I was playing Xbox live no problem the first 3 weeks I had my T-Mobile 5g box now I can’t play it says UpNp unsuccessful..

Same here with my Nintendo Switch. During the 15 day trial, it was running fine and I was getting NAT Type B or PS5 NAT Type 2.. now all of a sudden the NAT type became strict/Type D

Badge

I have had success with the T-Mobile internet gateway and my xbox series x since day 1 but it did take a minute. Perhaps my gateway is on a different firmware than yours? Also, I believe I first hard wired into the gateway via line, then was able to config the XB to connect wirelessly… have had no problems since.

Gateway

Firmware version
UI version
v1.8.0

Caliwebman

How do I connect Xbox series x to 5G gateway via Ethernet?

How do I connect Xbox series x to 5G gateway via Ethernet?

Easiest way is just get an ethernet cable, and there is a port in the back of your console and a port in the back of your 5G gateway.  As a tip, I buy higher rater cables for longer distances/lengths of cable I need - example, I needed a 25 foot cable and it wasn't until I bought a “CAT8 cable”, which I’d never even heard of, that I was able to really get the most reliable connections.  It was either that or just dumb luck :-).

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

What brand Internet Gateway did TMO send you?  I had problem with Sagecom FAST 5588 but they sent me Arcadyan KVD21 and that worked fine. 

The drawback is that the Sagecomm was getting me 400-500mbps but the KVD21 would only do about 100.  Also, I am unable to use 5gHz wifi for my Roku because the KVD21 is using DFS channel which Roku would not use.

Guy at my local TMobile store fixed this exact issue for me. Told me to go to the PS4 or Xbox network settings and change the DNS servers to match googles settings. Primary 8.8.8.8, secondary 8.8.4.4. --- As soon as I did that the TMobile home internet went to an OPEN NAT !!! Game On!!!!

@kholmes23 

How do you find what the DNS servers are

For Xbox try this it works for me.. If ur Nat is strict or moderate and upn unsuccessful go to test Nat.. Do it again.. Mine then is open. Still runs like crap during day but at night it runs smooth so far 

So I typed in my router IP went to frequency mine was at 80htz . I set it to auto via drop down menu and I have been running smooth ever since . F'ed around and found out   

I’ve had the silver modem since November and have been able to game on both the Series X & PS5 and now neither are working on the wifi.

Thanks to T-Mobile’s Test Drive, I can try out the home internet for 15days. I’m getting good speeds and so far so good… I was really happy with the service until………

It’s not compatible with my Xbox Series X. Apps like YouTube, Twitch, Hulu all work. But if I want to play games online, that’s where it doesnt work. I get disconnected from the games respective servers. Doing a test on the network I get UPnP unavailable. I can retest until the UPnP is available but as soon as I start playing a game online, it disconnects. 

I see that I can attempt to connect a wireless router but I cannot control any settings on the App or if I log into router via a web browser. The only thing I can do is change names and passwords, but nothing else. Can a wireless router be connected to the gateway? If so, which brands will work best?

There are other posts about this issue but no answer. I hope there is a solution or else the home internet goes back to T-Mobile and they will lose out on $50/month. 

We just connected an ethernet cable from the Xbox to the TV and it works fine.

I got this internet this weekend and was very upset customer service had no concern could not even help me. I kept at it and for it to work. Go into the internet app setup by given your network a name and password work and password and change  to 5g reset the Xbox and route and it should show up on the l8sten to sign in . I am have no problems no working very well