Question

tmobile 5g internet

• 14 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I just recently started using the 5g home internet and as a hardcore gamer the ping is horrible. Constant 60 ping when I used to run hard 0 using Comcast.

The main reason I believe my ping is so bad is because, I believe t mobile is using towers from Oregon (shows when running a speed test on multiple sites) when I'm in Washington I don't know if anyone else is having similar issues but to my knowledge theirs towers all over my area some not even a mile away. I was wondering if this is a bug or intentional? If it is a bug is there a way to fix this?. My download is 500+ and my upload is 70+ which is why I'm surprised my ping is soo sooo bad.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Towers are not going to give you a local IP unless you live in a major city where there is enough infrastructure to support all of the needs to route cellular traffic to for an entire state or more.  If you are a hardcore gamer, you might want to go back to Comcast because wired connections will always be better than wireless when it comes to latency.  

Sounds like your upload and download speeds are similar to mine.  I’m generally getting 30-40 ms ping during gaming in CS GO and Pub G. Very playable. What is your setup inside your home?  Are you using an Ethernet connection or wireless for your computer? I basically just use the TM gateway as a modem and use an Asus mesh system to manage the traffic… seems to work pretty good overall.

Badge

Sounds like your upload and download speeds are similar to mine.  I’m generally getting 30-40 ms ping during gaming in CS GO and Pub G. Very playable. What is your setup inside your home?  Are you using an Ethernet connection or wireless for your computer? I basically just use the TM gateway as a modem and use an Asus mesh system to manage the traffic… seems to work pretty good overal

Towers are not going to give you a local IP unless you live in a major city where there is enough infrastructure to support all of the needs to route cellular traffic to for an entire state or more.  If you are a hardcore gamer, you might want to go back to Comcast because wired connections will always be better than wireless when it comes to latency.  

Thats the thing I do live near a major city (Seattle) which is why I'm confused as to why t mobile is choosing Oregon servers over Washingtons.