Question

TMobile Home Internet -- Great signal but no internet?

Badge

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. My unit is up on a second floor window. Constant five bars and I am not far from a 5g tower. But ever since I separated the bands (2.4ghz vs 5ghz) so I could live a smart Google home life again, my unit has been crashing. I've called in and done several factory resets. Most of which did not help up until I did a factory reset on my end and the expert did one as well on their end? Or at least that's what I was told? Anyway, it worked great up until I separated the bands about 24 hours later. I only reconnected a few smart devices and went to bed. This morning, I'm back to where I started with 5 signal bars and no internet connection. I'm chatting with a tmobile expert right now and we're troubleshooting it. I guess I'm getting a replacement in two days, but I'm hesitantly optimistic. Anyone else have a similar experience and solutions? Would adding a router help at all for what I'm guessing is a bandwidth issue?

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do not hold your breath...I am having my 3rd tower and it still dies once a day. Tmobile tech support on FB says it is because my home address does not have 5G support, what a joke. I was asked to switch from LTE to this one! LTE was working fine for 4 years (stuck once every 2 months, needing a reboot). 

Same problem and I have a feeling it's not from separating bands. I had service for a few months and it was excellent. Then over a month it cuts out worse week by week. I need to call and do all those resets. I can't fix it without calling so something they need to do at tech support. 

I truly believe they are adding people faster than they can cover them. It progressively got worse over more than a month and now i barely can use it if at all. My signal is great and phone says signal speed is excellent but it's just internet going out. "Connected without internet," is what my phone says. 

If it didn't work so well when I started I would have given up already but I keep hoping.. anything not to have to go back to spectrum...ughh

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got my 4th unit (still refurbished)...as soon as I tried to turn off all other wifi IDs (I think like 11 for 5G and 6 for 2.4 Ghz), then network speed became 25 mbps. without doing that it was 300. so I had to reset to factory and now keep all these extra IDs live. 

I used to do this for my first 2 units and it did not affect their speed.  my third unit did this and I thought it was the gateway that was broken.

my 4th unit still hangs once in a while. but sometimes it will come back without rebooting… when working I get 300-ish mbps download and 50-75 uploading.

Badge

I am having the same experience. I’ve had the gateway unit for about 3 months now. When I first got it I was pleased with the speed, but what I am finding is the reliability is terrible! Frequently in the mornings and evenings I will show 4 bars and good connection but No internet or internet speeds in the single digits. Calling T-mobile just gives me their usual run-around “unplug it….etc). Usually the internet will come back up in about 1 or 2 hours without doing anything, but these outages and slow downs are very annoying. I went into my local T-mobile store and THEY were able to pull up a list of towers they were servicing at the time, but this list was not available to me. The problem is obviously on their end and the obscuration of why this is happening really annoys me. Has anyone else had similar problems?

I’ve had a similar experience to what everyone here has been sharing. I went from a very reliable LTE upgrade to the 5G can. A few months ago I called in with this exact problem of the Internet randomly disconnecting. Interestingly, if you go onto the app it says that the Internet is connected. However, there is no actual Internet.  After doing the resets like everyone else for a few weeks,  I called service. They exchanged the can because they said that there was an hardware issue that could not be resolved with software. I was exceedingly hopeful.

Everything worked well for a few weeks and then the problem started coming back. This time I called right away and after getting through the first representative, I was directed to a higher level of technical support. The second level was not able to figure out what the problem was, and said that he would take this to some other engineers and that he would call me back with a status or resolution. A couple days later I got the call. The tech said that he was embarrassed to make this call because after speaking with the engineers, this is apparently a known issue. What was embarrassing for him was that they informed him there is no resolution, nor is there any plan to fix it. Obviously I was dumbfounded. It seemed as he was as well. He indicated that this is not a call that he likes to make, and is embarrassed to have to say it, but that was the case. 

So I’m not sure what to do now.  It seems as if T-Mobile has upset the industry enough to at least get Comcast Xfinity to do some really aggressive pricing. At my address they are offering 400 Mb for $30 a month. That’s cheaper than the T-Mobile service but I don’t know how much they’re going to add and all those taxes and fees that got me running away from them in the first place. 

So frustrating!! I really liked being untethered and I still can’t believe that T-Mobile is just letting this sit there.  Anyway, I thought I’d share my experience in case anyone who has his frustrated as me doesn’t make it through three levels of technical support to find an answer. Good luck all.

Are u able to switch back to the LTE within the app I have the option to set as either automatic, lte or 5g it was set to auto n I changed it to 5g assuming it would speed up and/or increase my bars that were at 3 with a “good” signal attempting to get full bars n an “excellent” signal unfortunately, altho that was my plan, it actually slowed down n down graded my signal to poor. I was able to change it back n got it back to the ‘good’ so even tho it’s only saying good n shows only 3 bars it it’s working great. Don’t know if ur able to switch it back n not separate it but just a suggestion 

Great signal, but internet dropping out issue still happens in July 2023.  I guess T-Mobile hasn’t resolved it yet.

And not a single reply from the company.

I use t-mobile for my business and it works great and I've had it for a while so we canceled our Comcast service to get it for the home. We haven’t had the home service for 2 weeks and it’s already giving us problems. I’m so pissed off because that’s the same reason we canceled Comcast. Every couple of days the service was out for over half the day but now it’s the same with t-mobile.  Seems like we can’t win with internet service. 

It’s worse because “the world” is electronic so we need wifi for literally everything.  

I will definitely be headed down the street to the t-mobile store bright and early. This crap is ridiculous.  Everything always works fine when it’s time for them to take our money. 

I am having a similar issue. when I first started with T-Mobile home internet, I was living in a small studio apartment  in the country. The signal and internet was great. Never had a problem. Well about 5 months ago I moved about 50 to 100 yards into a little bit bigger place and my internet went to. My modem is reading “GOOD SIGNAL” and but the connection sucks. I can’t hardly do anything online and here I am trying to plan a wedding but can’t hardly do when I need to do online with my computer. But when the signal on the box reads “WEAK”, the internet runs like a charm.  now you would think that when you have a good signal the internet speed would be great, but no it’s the opposite and it’s very frustrating. And I have called them 3 different times on the issue and all they want to do is reset the box back to factory which only helps for about the first 30 minutes if that and then I am back to where I started. And they have made no effort to exchange my box for a new one which I have suggested every time I call them. If I have to call a fourth time I am gonna get rude with them cause I am having to pay for this expensive and I can hardly get on it at times. I just called them earlier tonight… that was the third time for this particular issue. I called them last night to turn my cell phone off cause the signal on it sucks and overly priced plans. so I went back to my with my previous carrier and they tell me that it will be turned off at the end of the month. Why couldn’t they do as I requested and turn it off when I called ? But no they wanna wait til it’s accumulates another bill.

Same problem and I have a feeling it's not from separating bands. I had service for a few months and it was excellent. Then over a month it cuts out worse week by week. I need to call and do all those resets. I can't fix it without calling so something they need to do at tech support. 

I truly believe they are adding people faster than they can cover them. It progressively got worse over more than a month and now i barely can use it if at all. My signal is great and phone says signal speed is excellent but it's just internet going out. "Connected without internet," is what my phone says. 

If it didn't work so well when I started I would have given up already but I keep hoping.. anything not to have to go back to spectrum...ughh

Eexactly 100% my issue..  Marinette, WISCONSIN 

I have  had this "Internet" for a few months now. All the problems you are having I also am experiencing. After reading these comments I will stick to my guns with T-Mobile the problem is on them. I think I will be switching companies .

P.S. I live a few blocks from. 2 towers..........