Question

tmobile home internet speed issues

• 17 March 2021
  • 55 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just got this and once or twice I got 50mbps for a minute or two but the rest of the time 1-3mbps download and 15mbps upload.

Cant figure this out and not many settings to change. Been on hold for customer support for an hour yesterday and today and can't get through.. any ideas?

Thank you

55 replies

Same here, I tested early in the morning, download goes 100+ Mbps and down 50+ Mbps which is fine but I need that speed during the day but I am getting 7 Mbps download and 10 upload. How is that possible, I only live less than 2 miles from the 5G tower and getting a snail speed. Common TMO.

Userlevel 2
Badge

i am getting 1-3mbps pretty much all the time but 10-15mbps upload? its basically unusable at this point as some pages wont even load.

That same will happen to me. After a lot of digging it seems that they are basically deprioritizing us. When i get the slower speeds, im on 4g(the B12 band) when im getting my blazing fast stuff im on 5g(n41). What makes me so mad is that i get the 5g so infrequently even though it has the same signal strength. I only see 1-15 mb on the 4g and 150 on the 5g. They really need to allow us to use the 5g all the time if they plan for this not to fail. OR ATLEAST MOST OF THE TIME!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not sure why some of you are getting those speeds, I think the lowest I go most of the time is around 150ish but I avg 450+. Try this though. Connect to the router using the web-based GUI at http://192.168.12.1/.  Check to see what you are getting for the secondary signal cause that is the 5G one. If you aren’t receiving any signal there or it's super low then most likely you are only hitting 4G towers which are nowhere near as fast. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Where are you located at?  I have had this issue since 3/12/21 Friday.  I am in OHIO sylvania

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am out in Phoenix, Az. I’ve had these speeds since I started my service.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For the past few days I have been seeing poor performance. I noticed the Primary Signal was bouncing between B2, B66 and B41.  Rarely the secondary connects to B71. Somewhere here in the Community or on Facebook I saw a post where someone moved the gateway to the basement where the cellular signals were not as strong. In his case he seemed to lock on the 5G signal and stay there. I did this yesterday afternoon and for the first time in 5 days it appears to have stayed locked on 5G (B41).

The point is that it may be necessary to move the unit around to find NOT THE STRONGEST signal, but the best signal. In my case the 4G Band 2 often was very slow. With the unit in the basement, it has stayed on B41 for more than a few hours. Time will tell.

I’ve had this service for ~ 6 weeks and have had very good speeds, averaging around 200 mbps down, 60-70 up. In the last two days it’s been 8-12 down, 3-5 up, and is now unusable. I was planning on recommending this to my neighbors, as we are all forced to use a very expensive cable alternative in my town. I am rethinking this now. If it keeps up like this, I’ll have to fall back to cable. It’s certainly not what they promised me.

Not sure why some of you are getting those speeds, I think the lowest I go most of the time is around 150ish but I avg 450+. Try this though. Connect to the router using the web-based GUI at http://192.168.12.1/.  Check to see what you are getting for the secondary signal cause that is the 5G one. If you aren’t receiving any signal there or it's super low then most likely you are only hitting 4G towers which are nowhere near as fast. 

Thanks, I checked and i Don't have a secondary signal. I live in a Rural area so I understand if i get atleast 35-50mbps, but im barely getting 7-11mbps. Do you know how to get a secondary connection signal or is that just something thats supposed to happen on its own?

When my speed drops to under 100mbps, it’s always accompanied by a loss of secondary signal, the 5G channel. For some reason the device often prefers a slow LTE connection and will not switch back to 5G. 

I just got it to change back by rebooting it, but this does not always work. I’m now running 160down /60 up, which I’m ok with, but I prefer 450/120, which I have seen many times.

Thanks, I checked and i Don't have a secondary signal. I live in a Rural area so I understand if i get atleast 35-50mbps, but im barely getting 7-11mbps. Do you know how to get a secondary connection signal or is that just something thats supposed to happen on its own?

This is good info.. I checked mine, and not connected to secondary signal.. i have slow to no internet.. I was wondering why I have good signal ftom the first two weeks of service, then its been 3-days with this.. very frustrating scenario… not sure if i will continue this BS.. my wife and kids are getting mad at me now…

I’ve had this service for ~ 6 weeks and have had very good speeds, averaging around 200 mbps down, 60-70 up. In the last two days it’s been 8-12 down, 3-5 up, and is now unusable. I was planning on recommending this to my neighbors, as we are all forced to use a very expensive cable alternative in my town. I am rethinking this now. If it keeps up like this, I’ll have to fall back to cable. It’s certainly not what they promised me.

We have the same situation… i called the costumer service and said ticket is submitted it’ll take 2-3days for answers… not sure what’s going on with this service… this is like a trap

I just read on Reddit that the unit will often switch to the strongest channel, irrespective of whether it is LTE or 5G. This may be what mine is doing. The LTE channel on the tower is much stronger than the 5G channel (RSP of -68dBm vs -89dBm). The problem is, I get only ~ 10up/3 down mbps on LTE. This may OK for random browsing and email but not so good for group Zoom calls.

I think they need to change the way the unit chooses which channel to use.

Looks like this tmobile system is BETA… that’s why they don’t advertise much since there’s so much glitches… I will return this HomeInternet if this will not improve in a week...

I just read on Reddit that the unit will often switch to the strongest channel, irrespective of whether it is LTE or 5G. This may be what mine is doing. The LTE channel on the tower is much stronger than the 5G channel (RSP of -68dBm vs -89dBm). The problem is, I get only ~ 10up/3 down mbps on LTE. This may OK for random browsing and email but not so good for group Zoom calls.

I think they need to change the way the unit chooses which channel to use.

I'm speaking on the rural area that I live in. I spoke with a technician from Tmobile and their excuse is, a lot of people signed up for Tmobile internet in the rural areas which is causing congestion with the tower's signal. I also tried rebooting my cylinder tmobile router to get the secondary signal but it didn't work so I pulled the sim card out of its slot and put it back in then rebooted the router and it worked. Both Primary and Secondary signal came on. That actually gave me 5-7mbps more than my original speed which brings me up to around 17mbps. 

Badge

I was “invited” to try this service because it was now supposedly in my area.  I explained to the T-Mobile “expert” that we do not receive cellular signals at our home thus have to use a cellspot/repeater to convert our Internet service into a 4G signal that let’s us get reliable voice service as wifi calling was really bad.  The “expert” talked me into trying this service because she indicated it used a special frequency of 5ghz service that our phones cannot use.  I’m seeing that this was a complete lie and am now in customer service nightmare back and forth between T-Mobile support and the Home Internet Team support.  Frankly, the support I have received has been unacceptable and I have been bounced around the two support teams trying to return the equipment and get the line added to my account taken off.  T-Mobile should be embarrased by this service.  I’ve returned the equipment but the line is still on my account.  I’ve had enough frustration that I’m considering dropping all of my T-Mobile services and switching to AT&T!  If you are considering this service I would recommend that you re-consider as the service is worse than any of the ISPs I have ever dealt with.

Me, i signed up for the service. Its actually the best offer so far in my area. Viasat charges $120 a month for 25mbps but barely get 10 and im stuck with a satellite on top of my house. Verizon charges $65 for 3mbps and I had to ask them if that was an april fools joke. I'm stuck with a 2 year contract with Viasat for $120 a month so im thinking about taping Tmobiles router in the middle of Viasats satellite thats stuck on my roof to see if that works because this internet is frustrating. You know its bad if you can't even stream Netflix without buffer problems😡. I'm in California City, CA and AT&T isnt offered here but if they were, i wouldn't trust them either. They're a bunch of liars about their data as well. 

I’ve had this service for about six months. It was great until a few weeks ago.  We only connect one device at a time (a tv or a laptop) but we can’t even watch an episode anymore.   It will play for a few minutes, then we get to watch it for awhile as a big blur, then plays fine, then just quits. Might get lucky and be able to unplug the box, or reset the connection, but it takes forever to watch anything this way.    We cut off our satellite after a few months of having this internet because it worked so well, so now we are stuck with this.  There is NO other internet available in my area… getting really tired of this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just got the service today in Ohio, though a relative in VA has had the LTE service for about 2 years averaging over 100Mbps. The VA service speed was sometimes the same, both download and upload. In my case, Speedtest.net shows almost 300Mbps download speed, but 3-6Mbps for upload speed. The speed through the Ethernet jacks is much different, about 29Mbps download and 6-8Mbps upload. Compared to Spectrum’s nearly-constant 116MBps download and 12-13Mbps upload from ALL devices in my home, I’m not sure the lower T-MOBILE cost is worth it. Will give it a week or so, but my first impression is disappointment.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would probably give the service a month and remember this it is a new Internet service and It is a mobile home Internet Service so I wouldn’t judge this as a poor service because I hardly think that it is. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I would probably give the service a month and remember this it is a new Internet service and It is a mobile home Internet Service so I wouldn’t judge this as a poor service because I hardly think that it is. 

I have to totally disagree. Nothing here is "new" at all. 5G has been out for a few years now and using wireless cell service for home internet has been around long before that. And TM has been doing this for quite some time now. The only thing going on here is that TM over promised without having the network, knowledge or the capabilities to actually back up those promises.

Has the service marginally gotten better over the past couple months? Depending on where you live that might actually be a yes. For many that could also be a resounding no. But regardless of if things have improved we shouldn't have to wait months for things that were promised on day one.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

For the past few days I have been seeing poor performance. I noticed the Primary Signal was bouncing between B2, B66 and B41.  Rarely the secondary connects to B71. Somewhere here in the Community or on Facebook I saw a post where someone moved the gateway to the basement where the cellular signals were not as strong. In his case he seemed to lock on the 5G signal and stay there. I did this yesterday afternoon and for the first time in 5 days it appears to have stayed locked on 5G (B41).

The point is that it may be necessary to move the unit around to find NOT THE STRONGEST signal, but the best signal. In my case the 4G Band 2 often was very slow. With the unit in the basement, it has stayed on B41 for more than a few hours. Time will tell.

Thank you Steve, Finding this thread made my day. I found it through a google search how to get 5G, that is a Primary and Secondary signal, not just the  Primary alone which is very slow.

For the first time after a week of getting fast connections and only being bumped to the single signal Primary 4G only for a minute or two, until I rebooted the gateway, today I got stuck on the very slow 4G only Primary without a Secondary. I rebooted 6 times and was still stuck on it. Then I read your comment.

I moved the gateway a few feet from the window where it gets only 2 bars instead of 3 and rebooted and was on my best connection combo, B2/n41. It’s funny because I was thinking of doing that, but didn’t for some reason. I actually got my highest speed on the first day, 190, while using only 2 bars. But I get much higher upload speeds and only about 30 lower on the download, when I connect to band combinations on 3 bars.

I’ve read about this stuff extensively in the last few weeks and if you need to explain it to anyone else the B bands, eg. B2, B66 etc. are all the Primary signal 4G, and the n bands, ex. n41, n71 are the 5G bands. The present technology T mobile uses is called non stand-alone, meaning the 5G needs to be paired with a 4G signal as the primary in order for them to work together. 5G does not exist alone. This is more obvious in the GUI at 192.168.12.1 rather than in the app, because at least in my phone app, it just shows one signal.

Anyway, here’s the full band story from T mobile’s website:

5G

• Frequencies that can provide 5G: 

• Band n71 (600 MHz)

• Band n41 (2.5 GHz)

• Band n260 (39 GHz)

• Band n261 (28 GHz)

• With 5G, high amounts of data can be transmitted more efficiently than 4G LTE. 

• One of the ways T-Mobile is rapidly deploying 5G is integrating mid-band 2.5 GHz spectrum from Sprint.

• Check out What is 5G? to learn how it works!

Extended Range 4G LTE

• Frequencies that can provide Extended Range LTE

• Band 12 (700 MHz)

• Band 71 (600 MHz)

• Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in-buildings than ever before.

4G LTE

• Frequencies that can provide LTE:

• Band 2 (1900 MHz)

• Band 5 (850 MHz)

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)

• Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz).

• 4G LTE offers fast download speeds, up to 50% faster speeds than 3G. See Data speeds.

• Voice and data services only work at the same time when on you have VoLTE enabled on your device. Otherwise, LTE only provides data.

Userlevel 1

You can split your service into two networks, a 2.4 and a 5ghz. I had to do this because Roku won't work on 5. So my tv us on one network and I divide up any devices that can work on 5 g to the other. You don't need to keep the mesh.

Userlevel 1

I’ve had the service for just shy of 3 months. It has dropped connection 31 times in that timeframe. I only know this because my doorbell camera gives me a disconnection notice. Have called multiple times. Never get a solution, just excuses. I can’t stand spectrum but this is just getting outrageous. Honestly I might explore other options soon for internet AND cell service because of how unreliable this is. I am in Youngstown Ohio...and if you know anything about Youngstown, it’s important to have cameras running around here. Can’t do that when my connection is dropping multiple times a week. FIX what I’m paying money for, otherwise I’m gone. 

Agreed! I signed up for service a couple weeks ago. The first two Grey Nokia cylinder routers were defective. I just got my 3rd one setup at least there's a connection now.

Before I set up the tmobile router  on the tmobile home internet app I connected to the wifi with my phone and I got 25mbps download speed which I would be fine with

After I setup the router thru the app, all of a sudden I get maybe 1 to 4 mbps download if I'm lucky.

This is with me already going to every area of the residence finding the 'best' signal 2 bars on router. These checks were all done this afternoon after 1pm to 3pm est.  

I read someone say they think it may be in beta. I think they should mention that otherwise if people think this is the final product they are putting out, alot of customers will disconnect service. I tried Starlink before too but at least they tell you in its Beta.

I tried powering off the router and reseating the sim card a couple times now I get "no usim" . I got that with the last router, good thing I told them better include another sim card in case the original goes bad.  I'll give them a month before giving up and settling for slow Verizon dsl service here but at least the connection is solid 🤷‍♂️