Question

Tmobile home not showing up in list of wi-fi on new computer

• 16 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have an older computer which connects to the t-mobile home internet fine as dones my Android. But I bought a Lenovo computer and it shows every darn network in the building(many which my older computer doesn’t see) but not the Tmobile network, How do I get the computer to see my t-mobile home network. I have the grey Nokia router if that makes a difference. Any possible suggestions appreciated.

8 replies

I had to update my firmware on my WiFi device.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have an older computer which connects to the t-mobile home internet fine as dones my Android. But I bought a Lenovo computer and it shows every darn network in the building(many which my older computer doesn’t see) but not the Tmobile network, How do I get the computer to see my t-mobile home network. I have the grey Nokia router if that makes a difference. Any possible suggestions appreciated.

I had a similar experience, but in reverse: Every device in my house found the T-Mo gateway just fine… except my Asus laptop, which is several years old. It needed a Wi-Fi driver update, which solved the problem. Mayyyybe the same for your Lenovo?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also had a problem with a couple older devices not being able to connect.

A workaround I used is to 

• go into the wifi settings
  • give the 2.4GHz settings - give that network a different SSID Name
  • change the 2.4GHz settings to  Transmission mode b/g

After doing that these troublesome devices were able to connect to the 2.4GHz wifi.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I also had a problem with a couple older devices not being able to connect.

A workaround I used is to 

• go into the wifi settings
  • give the 2.4GHz settings - give that network a different SSID Name
  • change the 2.4GHz settings to  Transmission mode b/g

After doing that these troublesome devices were able to connect to the 2.4GHz wifi.

I just changed the 2.4GHz setting to b/g, without renaming any SSID.  The reason for this is in the T-Mobile documentation:

Note: When the network names differ, this prevents the gateway from picking the best connection. In this case, you will need to connect to the appropriate band. This is not recommended for most users.

Note: To set up a secondary SSID alongside the primary SSID, choose an unused SSID number. For 2.4GHz these are SSID 2, 3, and 4. For 5GHz, these are SSID 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12. SSIDs 1, 5, and 9 are used by the default network.

Note: Having different SSID names will result in the loss of Band Steering. This is not recommended.

I had to update my firmware on my WiFi device.

Exactly which is the WiFi device, the T-Mobile network device or the Lenovo device?

I had a similar experience, but in reverse: Every device in my house found the T-Mo gateway just fine… except my Asus laptop, which is several years old. It needed a Wi-Fi driver update, which solved the problem. Mayyyybe the same for your Lenovo?

If the wifi driver is updated according to the Lenovo or other device, is there a specific way to force an update? What are the steps, starting with where to go first on the device?

Badge

If you have the round gateway, in the 2.4 settings, change the transmission mode from auto to n/g.  Works every time.  If you have the newer square gateway, your wifi won’t work.  I had to buy a USB network adapter.  Not happy about it.

My T-Mobile network is not showing under wifi - other networks are showing - wifi adapter is enabled, I’ve rebooted, turned on / off wifi -powered down Tmobile 5G and turn back - still can’t see TMobile network