Question

TP-Link mesh system with T-mobile gateway

• 4 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway. I would like to add a wifi 6 mesh system in order to have wifi throughout my house. How should I go about installing the TP-Link Deco x20 to the T-Mobile gateway? Do I need to disable the T-Mo wifi? What should I watch out for? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Ron

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If you will not be using the built in wifi, then it is best to disable. As for using the mesh system, the simplest method is AP (Access Point) mode where the mesh just passes all wifi devices to the gateway router to manage DHCP. However, most of your mesh system features will be disabled (QOS, guest network, DNS, etc.)

if you want the full features of the mesh, then you want to configure to DHCP mode but that will create 2 layers of NAT on your network which some devices and gaming systems seem to have problems.

I would recommend starting with DHCP to see if all your devices and services work. If it all checks out, keep in that mode. If you start having problems, then try AP mode.

wait… what? I have DHCP on auto, and my old WiFi plugged into the TM gateway. I am unfamiliar with how to configure my tp-link AX1800 or Deco M9 to AP mode.I see no options in the app for that. Either way, will AP mode still have the MESH network advantages?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

wait… what? I have DHCP on auto, and my old WiFi plugged into the TM gateway. I am unfamiliar with how to configure my tp-link AX1800 or Deco M9 to AP mode.I see no options in the app for that. Either way, will AP mode still have the MESH network advantages?

I’m not familiar with tp-link, but Asus supports both AP and DHCP for mesh.

Ok so I found AP mode to my Deco and the AX1800 is the primary router. Anyone know how to disable the WiFi on the gateway? I don’t recall and off option on the Network tab

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Ok so I found AP mode to my Deco and the AX1800 is the primary router. Anyone know how to disable the WiFi on the gateway? I don’t recall and off option on the Network tab

There is no app or UI way to disable wifi on the new Arcadyan gateway so you have to run some scripts detailed in the video below:

I have the new 5G T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway hooked to a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh system.  The mesh system has been working fine with an xFinity modem for years.  The T-Mobile Gateway/Deco M5 system appears to work fine for all things Wi-Fi EXCEPT I can’t make or receive Wi-Fi calls on my T-Mobile handsets (iPhones).  The Deco M5 system (and another Deco M9 system in another home) have always worked fine for Wi-Fi calling.

I’ve been working with tech support off and on for a month and they haven’t been able to identify the problem or come up with a fix.

Any suggestions? 

I have the new 5G T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway hooked to a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh system.  The mesh system has been working fine with an xFinity modem for years.  The T-Mobile Gateway/Deco M5 system appears to work fine for all things Wi-Fi EXCEPT I can’t make or receive Wi-Fi calls on my T-Mobile handsets (iPhones).  The Deco M5 system (and another Deco M9 system in another home) have always worked fine for Wi-Fi calling.

I’ve been working with tech support off and on for a month and they haven’t been able to identify the problem or come up with a fix.

Any suggestions? 

Just based on the timing of your post I’m guessing you have the Sagemcom gateway and if you check out this thread you’ll see that you shouldn’t have this issue much longer once the new firmware is pushed to your gateway. Unfortunately there were issues with this firmware version bricking a ton of devices so I’m not sure when TMo will begin pushing it out again (or if they will just release a newer version once they figure out why it bricked devices) I can say that I still have not received a firmware update on my gateway at this point and still cannot use wifi calling...