Question

Travelling with my TMobile Home Internet device?

• 10 November 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge

I travel a lot in the USA.  Next Month I will be living in a private home in another state.  This residence does not have internet service.  o, I’m wondering if I can bring my T-Mobile Home Internet device with me, and will it function in a location different from my regular reesidence?

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I travel a lot in the USA.  Next Month I will be living in a private home in another state.  This residence does not have internet service.  o, I’m wondering if I can bring my T-Mobile Home Internet device with me, and will it function in a location different from my regular reesidence?

There are a few people that have posted that they do this one in an RV. I don't think the terms of service say you can do this but ppl have done it and it works as long as there is TMHI service in the area. You could check the coverage map.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

At the present time people are doing this. However, don’t be surprised if T-Mobile decides to location lock your service in the future.

Userlevel 1
Badge

T-Mobile told me when I signed up last month that it is only good at my home gps location. Their download speeds have been too slow to be used for streaming or even browsing. Tonight at 7pm my download speed is 0.12mbps. it doesn't increase until midnight and slows down after 8am

Badge

I haven’t had any performance problems with my home internet with TMobile.  In fact, I have measured it with a 3rd party speed test and compared it with my prior ISP (Cox Communications).  The performance of the TMobile Home Internet Service was nearly 3 times faster than Cox for both upload and download rates, and TMobile Service was well within the range expected for 5g. If it had not worked, then I would not have keit the service - I signed up on a trial basis, but TMobile’s internet service has met my expectations at every step of the way.  I use it to telecommute and I use it for streaming.  I can both stream and telecommute at the same time and have video meetings at work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile told me when I signed up last month that it is only good at my home gps location. Their download speeds have been too slow to be used for streaming or even browsing. Tonight at 7pm my download speed is 0.12mbps. it doesn't increase until midnight and slows down after 8am

Right, according to the T&Cs,  it’s for use at a specific location. Some people have been using Home Internet at changing locations and find it works but they may be surprised, some day, when this stops working.

It sounds like the network where you live is congested. Do you know if T-Mobile has deployed band 41 in your area?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There are no guarantees on if and how well it will work at an address other than the one that the device was approved for. 

I just signed up for Home Internet. I have two homes and an RV, so I will be traveling. The salesperson  seemed to say I could take the device with me, and if there is signal, I can use it. There seemed to be no assurance that it will work, but I will try it and see. 

I’m hoping to take my box to Alabama for two weeks. I stayed with my relatives for a year and in my room I had an Smart TV everyone else was on cable. I also worked remotely on my computer and my sprint and boost phones were on the T-Mobile network. Needless to say I had no T-Mobile coverage from my phones . I did have to connect to the Wi-Fi to perform most task. It was inferred that I was using up the band with but I know it really was my nephew and his gaming. I kind of got kicked out of the house for that so I want to bring my device just in case I need to work remotely. Being that I had no T-Mobile service I’m hoping that at the box still works. At home I have no T-Mobile service on my phones but that box works like crazy. The speed that I received are nearly triple what was advertised but I’ve only had the box for three weeks. I still kept my raggedy Spectrm internet but once I determine that the T-Mobile home Internet is reliable I’m going to switch my ring system to the T-Mobile instead of the spectrum Internet. Last month the spectrum lines were cut to disable a ring cameras so I really want to make the switch to the T Mobile Internet to prevent the ring being disabled in this manner again. I’m  gonna cross my fingers that this home Internet box will work in this suburb of Birmingham because I don’t want anybody to blame slow speeds from their Internet Wi-Fi on me.

Badge

The Home Internet service is designated for use at your registered address. A quick call into customer care is all thats needed to check if the service is available in your new home, and if so they can also assist in registering that new address for your service. Use outside of your registered area may cause you to experience issues using your Home Internet service.

Can I use the device elsewhere, like my vacation home?

No. The T-Mobile 5G Gateway is specific to your eligible address, so you can't move it from one location to another. This helps us assure that the place of use meets our network standards to provide you and others with a high quality of service.

-Per the T-Mobile Home Internet FAQ

I recently just started the trial so far so good. But I’m glad I have been reading the comments. The lady at the store told me I could travel and that’s what they have been telling customers in order to convince them to switch. I am glad I know this know that it is not allowed. I will be keeping my current service with Att and will just continue with phone service with T-mobile. It would have been great to travel with it since I do work from home. But I guess I will be using good old Hot Spot and it’s blotchyness smh! Answer to everyone WE CAN NOT TRAVEL WITH IT THEY LIED TO US. WE WILL BE LOCKED OUT AT SOME POINT. 

Yes absolutely you can currently. All you have to do is plug it in. Not a ton of towers for this service so doesn't work anywhere. I am an Independent Contractor and we all use it for this exact purpose because tower's in remote areas on missions are drowned out by to many people with not enough towers. This works if there is a tower near by, there is nothing that says you cannot do this and is even currently advertised as internet at home or on the go. When I am doing Ops on a mission this allows me to do everything I need on all my devices when I am just doing over watch. It is a fantastic tech and I hope in further years they manage to make it even better just like they did when they converted all of sprints CDMA towers to GSM 5G and is now the best provider in the US currently. Hopefully they continue to expand the Home Internet towers and make it just as good as there mobile or the tesla satellite when or if they get permission to use them, this will make your speeds on the device even in remote areas at around 1 Gigs a second to 5 gigs a second with excellent signal but even with poor signal I get 40 mbs which is better then 1 mbs I typically get with Hotspot because of low signal strength since this modem has a much more powerful antenna. Also side note if you fly with it check it in under the plane because that is a big no no on carry on since this can jam signals from the plane.

Badge

Yes absolutely you can currently. All you have to do is plug it in. Not a ton of towers for this service so doesn't work anywhere. I am an Independent Contractor and we all use it for this exact purpose because tower's in remote areas on missions are drowned out by to many people with not enough towers. This works if there is a tower near by, there is nothing that says you cannot do this and is even currently advertised as internet at home or on the go. When I am doing Ops on a mission this allows me to do everything I need on all my devices when I am just doing over watch. It is a fantastic tech and I hope in further years they manage to make it even better just like they did when they converted all of sprints CDMA towers to GSM 5G and is now the best provider in the US currently. Hopefully they continue to expand the Home Internet towers and make it just as good as there mobile or the tesla satellite when or if they get permission to use them, this will make your speeds on the device even in remote areas at around 1 Gigs a second to 5 gigs a second with excellent signal but even with poor signal I get 40 mbs which is better then 1 mbs I typically get with Hotspot because of low signal strength since this modem has a much more powerful antenna. Also side note if you fly with it check it in under the plane because that is a big no no on carry on since this can jam signals from the plane.

Do you have to call or go online to change the addrees you’re at? 

The day they stop the TMobile Home Internet from working at other than my home location will be the day I discontinue the service. It’s month-to-month anyway, so no huge loss. Note to TMobile: YES I understand it may not work everywhere. 

I really hope they do not add a location lock, because TMobile home internet is amazing. We also take at least 8 RV trips a year and this and it would be great to have on those trips. 

We live in the suburbs. Our house is pretty big and has always required multiple router points, now a mesh, and never came close to the advertised bandwidth. We now get over 6x the bandwidth wirelessly than we got even directly wired to the modem.