Question

Turn off WiFi on T-Mobile Home Gateway

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is it possible to turn off WiFi on the T-Mobile Home Gateway, I would like to hook my wifi router and avoid having both WiFi active 

55 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

From this discussion...
Home Internet- turn off WiFi? | T-Mobile Community

1. Login to your router at 192.168.12.1
  2. Go to wireless networks
  3. For 2.4 and 5 ghz go through each SSID and disable the SSID. (Enable SSD setting to Off.)  

You could disable Broadcast for each SSID as well.

Note that if you do this, you might need to have a computer connected directly to the Gateway with an ethernet cable in order to access the admin page to make setting changes if connecting via your router fails to get you to the admin page.   Or you have issues with your router getting a connection.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I connected my Apple AirPort Extreme to the T-Mobile gateway with a long ethernet (in the wall) cable, and that works perfectly. I did NOT turn off the WiFi on the gateway. I connected the AirPort to the gateway with an ethernet cable. Then I reset the AirPort. When it came back up it automatically did the setup to extend. Make sure you name the AirPort network the same name and use the same password as the gateway. No loss of speed, and now I have strong connections throughout my long house. When I’m near the gateway, that is the connection. When I’m near the AirPort, then that is the connection.

Userlevel 2

Logging into the gateway and disabling “Enable SSID” and “Enable Broadcast” does not turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, it simply hides the SSID.  If you key in the SSID and password on a device, it can still connect to the T-Mobile gateway’s WiFi.  If it’s not possible to turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, that’s a bit of an oversight on T-Mobile’s part, I hope that’s fixed in future firmware.  On the plus side, the gateway has a pretty good WiFi system, if you want to use it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Logging into the gateway and disabling “Enable SSID” and “Enable Broadcast” does not turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, it simply hides the SSID.  If you key in the SSID and password on a device, it can still connect to the T-Mobile gateway’s WiFi.  If it’s not possible to turn off the WiFi radios on the gateway, that’s a bit of an oversight on T-Mobile’s part, I hope that’s fixed in future firmware.  On the plus side, the gateway has a pretty good WiFi system, if you want to use it.

Not sure at least on the unit that I have you can. I have a Wifi scanner and believe me they are off there is nothing RF coming from the can.

Also clearly says disabled see the screenshot.

Userlevel 2

I’m curious whether other people can replicate this, but it’s true that if you disable the “Enable SSID” setting, the SSID will not be visible on the list of available WiFi networks, but at least on my unit the WiFi signal and the ability to connect to the gateway by WiFi is still there, even after rebooting the gateway with the new settings. I was able to login by manually adding the gateway SSID and password when connecting a device to WiFi.  I’d be curious to know if others see the same thing, and if so, whether anyone knows if there’s a way to truly shut off the gateway’s WiFi.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Make sure you are turning off the right one.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I guess banking someone had the wrong setting set off and it’s working now???

Userlevel 2

I figured out what was going on.  By default, the gateway will broadcast on SSID1, SSID5, and SSID9, populating those with the SSID and password you specified during setup.  I had just disabled SSID1 and SSID5, didn’t notice I had to go into the pull-down menu to also turn off SSID9.  So this makes turning off the gateway WiFi is a little unintuitive, but it’s possible, my bad.  

Well, it looks like some folks are able to disable WiFI and some other not. Perhaps this might be that some units are in different Firmware that others. I am the one that I am NOT able to turn WiFi OFF! and my Software Version in my T-Mobile can is: 1.2101.00.1609. If you can turn it OFF please let us know what is your Software Version.

Userlevel 2

Make sure to disable everything for both SSID5 and SSID9 under the 5 GHz section. There's a pull-down. That's what tripped me up the first time.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Well, it looks like some folks are able to disable WiFI and ome other not. Perhaps this might be that some units are in different Firmware that others. I am the one that I am NOT able to turn WiFi OFF! and my Software Version in my T-Mobile can is: 1.2101.00.1609. If you can turn it OFF please let us know what is your Software Version.

I’m also on version 1.2101.00.1609 and can turn off WiFi.

What have you done to turn off WiFi and what are you seeing that indicates you cannot turn it off? 

Ok, I just got it right. I went to each SSID for 2.4GHz, and 5GHz, and finally WiFi is now OFF.

Thanks!

Hi guy’s,

turn off WiFi worked for me under  1.2101.00.1609 firmware,

but it was a lot of pain.

You have to select every SSID to configure,

the two frequencies have a pull down.

here the 2.4 and 5

ssid24
ssid5

The reason I did this, I had to hook up my WiFi 6 mesh to cover the whole house,

because chimney in the way to our new office.

All of these steps just disable the ability to connect to the Wi-Fi network.  It does not turn off the Wi-Fi radios. I followed the steps and see the disable connection message for the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz networks but if you go to the “Status” screen Wi-Fi is still listed as “online.” This is disappointing because I have an existing mesh network so would like the radios turned off to avoid any possible signal interference. 

You can turn the transmit power down to 12% which I’ve done to limit it as much as possible.

I guess I forgot some!

So you have to do both!

Disable the SSID So you could disable WLAN!

If you don’t you will have it still enable.

Let me do it like an how to!

Maybe better?:wink:

Step 1:

SSID 1-4 is 2.4 GHZ WIFI

you pick each one and disable the broadcast

now you should see the 2.4 GHz WIFI as disabled

Step 2:

5→ is the 5 GHz WIFI

you pick each one and disable the broadcast

now you should see the 5 GHz WIFI as disabled

if it still showing enable, then you missed some!

Hey guys,

Under the Status Tab under wifi, it still shows antennas as emitting radiation, even though under the Stats Tab it shows both as disabled. So antenna is still exposing you to radiation and interfering. BTW you shouldn’t place routers or any 4G/5G close to your head in my opinion. Lower power output should help too.

Badge

I am having trouble with the wired connection not knowing my real location. That means without going through the wifi I get incorrect time, weather and any localized information. I think Tmobile knows this is the case. Be careful making a wired commitment to this box. If some body knows how to fix this please post it. My wired mesh has no idea where it is and changes location every time the T Mobile dice is powered off and back on.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

On the Nokia gateway, the closest option is to turn the transmission power for each SSID down to 12%. That's as close to off as you can get.  RTFM. 

Userlevel 1

To T-Mobile:

The Nokia 5G Home Internet Gateway need some serious improvements.

It should:

1. Allow admins to enable HTTPs access to the Gateway,
  2. Allow admins to 100% turn off the WiFi radios,
  3. Allow admins to access the Gateway’s internal firewall, and be able to create/modify rules, check logs, etc.
  4. Allow admins to set the Public IP address to be passed through to a router or firewall connected to at least one of the 2 Gigabit ports, so that internal devices could be accessed from the Internet.
  5. Allow admins to 100% disable the gateway’s internal firewall if so desired.

I unfortunately started the search for a more serious, and better thought of product, to satisfy my requirements. 

Thank you.

To T-Mobile:

The Nokia 5G Home Internet Gateway need some serious improvements.

It should:

1. Allow admins to enable HTTPs access to the Gateway,
  2. Allow admins to 100% turn off the WiFi radios,
  3. Allow admins to access the Gateway’s internal firewall, and be able to create/modify rules, check logs, etc.
  4. Allow admins to set the Public IP address to be passed through to a router or firewall connected to at least one of the 2 Gigabit ports, so that internal devices could be accessed from the Internet.
  5. Allow admins to 100% disable the gateway’s internal firewall if so desired.

I unfortunately started the search for a more serious, and better thought of product, to satisfy my requirements. 

Thank you.

I would like to also add an ability to turn this gateway to have the bridge mode please.

I am having trouble with the wired connection not knowing my real location. That means without going through the wifi I get incorrect time, weather and any localized information. I think Tmobile knows this is the case. Be careful making a wired commitment to this box. If some body knows how to fix this please post it. My wired mesh has no idea where it is and changes location every time the T Mobile dice is powered off and back on.

I’m having loads of problems with ethernet connection. Half of my devices are wired, I think there is some sort of DNS problem. Some pages time out, then after 10-30 min all goes back to normal.

Hardware Version:

3TG00739AABB

Software Version:

Perhaps stupid question for many of you, but frustrating for me. I am unable to log in to disable 2.4 and 5 WIFI b/c I don’t know which account I am logging into - my home network? T-mobile? Obviously, I am technically challenged so any assistance is appreciated. Trying to install Dynalink router with T-Mobile Internet Gateway tower, and use the Gateway as a modem only. Thanks.