Solved

Tvision and TMo ISP

• 6 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

About a week ago I got the email that ATT Go Now Tv is upping my grandfathered monthly fee. I have been looking at the Tvision for a while but I just hadn't swapped yet and that was the straw to get me to move. The same day I signed up for TVision I checked the Tmobile Internet for my area and same as the last several times i checked, the site said that it was not available in my area and I put myself on the wait-list, again, however an hour later I get a call from them ready to sign me up for it. Cool, signed up for that and I figured that as long as it did as good as my cellphone we could finally drop Century Link.

The brown bus dropped it off yesterday and after a few resets of the app and resetting the wifi in the other room I got it running and the speedtest was saying around 100mbps compared to CLs 25-28 anytime I did it. So that was awsome.

Now the odd thing is that when the Tvision was on CL it was fine, but now that I'm on the TMo internet it says that I'm traveling and have a limited number of channels available. Does anyone know if it will work itself out or is it something else?. I have all my billing addresses set to my home.

icon

Best answer by syaoran 6 March 2021, 21:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is one of the biggest annoyances of TVision.  It uses your billing ZipCode to identify your home area.  Unfortunately, T-Mobile towers and where they connect to the ground-based infrastructure are usually not that close.  This is why it thinks you are traveling even though you are not.  As far as I know, there is no work around for this and Tech Support is clueless when it comes to addressing this issue when using T-Mobile's home internet and other wireless and point to point internet services. 

Badge

Wonderful, I was wondering if it was something like that. I'm not in a huge area or close to any other zip codes (I think, I haven't checked a map). Hopefully they figure this out or make the surrounding zip codes for each tower associated better. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s really sad in some areas.  In Beckley, West Virginia (southern end of WV) as a good example.  The IP it assigns is in West Norriton, Pennsylvania.  Some areas are definitely worse than others for this.  

Badge

This can be curtailed through the use of a VPN service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This can be curtailed through the use of a VPN service. 

Yes, if the VPN service has a local based IP for your billing address or that general area.  

Badge

@syaoran It would be dependent upon the IP address of the server you connected when using the VPN service. Top VPN providers have a list of most Major Metropolitan areas. Which is great if you want local access to certain markets across the United States.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@syaoran It would be dependent upon the IP address of the server you connected when using the VPN service. Top VPN providers have a list of most Major Metropolitan areas. Which is great if you want local access to certain markets across the United States.

That they do.  That doesn't help those in more rural communities though and the cost of a VPN on top of the TVision service is not too enticing either.