Unable to download and update firmware for Apple TV 4K

• 28 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

There is a new firmware update available for the Apple TV 4K.   When I attempt to update the firmware, I get an Unable to Update at this time error.

Restarted the Apple TV several times.  Checked the network connection.   Still unable to update.

I have not yet disconnected my Mediacom Cable Modem so I moved the ethernet cable from the T-Mobile Gateway to the Cable Modem.   Restarted the Apple TV and attempted update.   Firmware download immediately began.

So why can’t the Apple TV download firmware when connected to T-Mobile Internet?

2 replies

Badge

Had this same issue. At first, I thought it was that I didn’t have enough available space for the update to install and had deleted a number of apps. Didn’t fix the issue. Unplugged, restarted… it eventually downloaded and installed about the fifth or sixth time I’d tried. Not sure if it’s a DNS, tunneling issue, or something different. 

Badge

I had a similar issue trying to download an update for my iPhone.   I had to switch from a Wifi connection to the T-Mobile Gateway to a T-Mobile Cellular 5G connectionbefore the update would download.