Question

UPnP and XBox gaming

• 17 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I see complaints 6+ months old on the lack of UPnP and Open NAT (Port Forwarding) settings in the NOK 5G21 Gateways. Unable to use XBox with it. My Gateway came with the most recent software already loaded (1609). Is T-Mobile going to address this or are they just saying they are? I can’t get anything more than a scripted answer from technical support.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Unfortunately there are  issues in networking layers above the modem that break proper NAT for IPv4.

The LTE modems came with functional port forwarding/DMZ.  Things would appear to get configured properly, but in realiy it broke on the other side of the modem.

TMO needs to move to a proper dual-stack setup for this to have a chance at behaving like it needs to for many devices and applications.

Check out my latest posting:

https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/nat-forwarding-issues-while-gaming-streaming-44314

I have posted an update here. This issue has been resolved across t mobile as of a few days ago (should have been released, if not, call them). I was given the pre release firmware version of what they just threw out there. Check your NAT status now, it should have dropped a level. And though it won't tell you, you will still have open features such as streaming and hosting. Every single one of my problems fixed itself seemingly overnight.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Holding off on excitement until unsolicited inbound traffic can be confirmed... that is what truly needs to work.

It's March 9, 2024 and I can confirm this problem still exists.