Question

VoIP with t-home internet

• 10 March 2021
  • 27 replies

Badge

I try to use my Magic Jack VoIp phone via t-home Internet with Router TM-RTL0102.

phone is ringing but audio is one way, i.e. I cannot hear the caller but he hear me.

Any thoughts on setup ?

Robert

27 replies

Hello,

I just stated with T Mobile Home Internet and needed to work out a few bugs.  (Security IP Cameras, VOIP, VPN).  I too use Magic Jack.   All these issues cleared up once I connected an external wireless Router (Asus RT-AC1200).    My Magic Jack works great now.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Just got done talking (live Chat) to Magic Jack.   All looked good with the exception on the “Ping”   Magic Jack wants   25ms or less and I’m getting about 31 at the time of the Test.    Magic Jack says that a higher ping can cause some Audio Issues.  Of Course, Magic Jack says to contact “My Internet Provider” about the higher Pings,  and if I did that, I’m sure T Mobile Home Internet Techs would say contact Magic Jack about rising there Ping Tolerances.   

Currently I would say my Magic Jack is working,  Dial Tone is clear,  I’m able to send and receive calls.   So if from time to time (which I had with spectrum too) I have an issue  it is well worth it to have magic Jack for the saving and just deal with an occasional hick up.   We here still have 2 cell phones for back up calling.

Their Comments;  (Magic Jack)

“Since you are going to reach your internet service provider. I will be also suggesting you to ask for them for assistance in opening internal ports 5060-5070 on your router (UDP). These are the ports that allow the magicJack to communicate on your router/modem.

Also, please check with your internet service provider/router manufacturer to check if it's possible to disable the settings called "SIP ALG" on your router/modem. This setting could be interfering with the magicJack service (though it is intended to be helpful) and can cause audio issues specifically​ one-way audio (the other caller can’t hear you but you can hear them and vice versa).

Based on the result of your internet connection, it seems that one of the minimum requirements of magicJack does not meet by your internet connection  (less than  25ms ping/latency), which can cause audio issues and a technical problem with magicJack service. You will need to consult with your internet service provider, they may lower latency/ ping with your internet connection.”

I have exactly the same issue as robertcohrs

Has any got thier magicjack to work with tmobile home internet?

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you have a regular wifi router, connect it to the ethernet port on your T-Mobile gateway and then connect your device to the router and see if it works that way.

Thanks da.down. I tried it with a network switch and two wifi routers, still the same issue. It works fine when we call out. But on incoming calls we can hear the caller just fine, but they can hear us for only about 2 seconds.

When trying the routers I just connected it like a switch. LAN to LAN. And did not create a new network. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

As I understand it, the main problem is that the gateway doesn’t currently support port passthrough where a custom port on the WAN side can be routed to a device on the LAN side. A few have reported using a VPN to get around this, but I don’t know how that would be configured for Magic Jack requirements.

UPDATE;

Just a update on how I handled or am handling my Magic Jack/T Mobile internet issue.   So I thought to myself the best way to handle this, (I didn't want to discontinue my T Mobile Internet service) was to remove the Internet from my Home Phone (VOIP).    So I did some research and came across Voice Over LTE (VOLTE).  On eBay, I purchased a “ZTE WF723CA”  Unlocked GSM  Home Phone Base.    I ordered a discounted cell service GSM ($8 a month)  Text/Phone unlimited, no data.   Once I received the eBay item and sim card, I ported in my existing Home Phone number.   I have found that even doing this, (Taking Out the Internet as being the problem)  I still have and had a few issues to work thru.  First, I figured out that I could not  dial “1” in front of the number to call, Just the number and the call would go thru.  Second, The ZTE box if a call isn't picked up it goes to voice mail.  What happens here is when you push talk button you hear a multiple dial tones (Indicates you have Voice Mail)  You have to clear the voice mail to go back to a single solid dial tone.   Thrid, A few times, testing the phone I didn't have any dial tone so I just turned off and back on the ZTE box and the dial tone came back.  There are several companies that sell (VOLTE) service and the price wasn’t that bad.   But I thought I would try the way I was doing it to see if I can save a few dollars.  Just google “VOLTE Service”   This turns your home phone into a cell phone but acts like a regularly home phone.   Call the Cell Service or VOLTE Service to make sure your home phone number can be ported over.   I’m sure if you ordered VOLTE Service you most likely wouldn’t have any issues.   You also want to consider your Cell Tower Signal strength,  (here I get 3-4 bars).   

Just a note how I’m dealing with it, may not work for you….

Userlevel 3
Badge

@bcbob Do you not have a cell phone? Why bother with a home phone if you do? If you don’t have a cell phone, you could put the SIM for your VOLTE into a cheap unlocked cell phone and be able to use it in locations besides home. I had Magic Jack in the past and then I switched to ObiHai Adapter With Google Voice to avoid the monthly charge. I eventually just used Google Voice on my PC using a speakerphone USB device and that is what I found to be the most flexible way to go. 

How to Ditch Your Home Phone for Google Voice

da.down -  good suggestion, with the adapter sounds like it would/will work.   Nice to know there are other options.  But still seems still  needing (VOIP - Internet)   and not (VOLTE - Cell Tower) again but depended on internet. I could say that I haven’t looked into the adapter and google voice much so I could be wrong.

Badge

Depending on which gateway you have your VoIP will work or not. the Nokia gateway’s firewall does not allow traffic through SIP ports (5060 etc.) I don’t know the specifics of Magic Jack but if it uses SIP protocol it won’t work.

The Askey LTE gateway works with VoIP phones.

I just went through the pain of upgrading to the nokia 5G and then reverting back for this very reason plus the fact that the speed on the Nokia is totally inconsistent. I have a SIP phone at home with 3 international accounts on it that our close relatives use and we just *have to have them working*.

The Nokia has a Tmo firmware on it which provides a very basic (sub-par) router feature.

Badge

We use MagicJack on our T-Mobile home internet, and have not had any issues. I plugged the MagicJack directly into the ethernet port on the 5G device (the gray gateway) and MagicJack works without issues.

Userlevel 1

Just spoke with a girl called Crystal from the customer service . Waiting time was zero minutes. She told me that they are aware of the “problem” that many VOIP devices can’t function by default. She also assured me that it’s a matter of sending request to register a particular device with them (in my case it’s a Grandstream GS-GXP2140 VOIP desk phone). Which she did sent.

She collected my download and upload speed (asked me to test it in real time).

I am still kind of skeptical based on reviews here that say that all these reps do is lying to you. However, she told me to wait 24-72 hours and gave me “complaintID” I could use to  track the status of the request.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Userlevel 1

Just spoke with a girl called Crystal from the customer service . Waiting time was zero minutes. She told me that they are aware of the “problem” that many VOIP devices can’t function by default. She also assured me that it’s a matter of sending request to register a particular device with them (in my case it’s a Grandstream GS-GXP2140 VOIP desk phone). Which she did sent.

I am still kind of skeptical based on reviews here that say that all these reps do is lying to you. However, she told me to wait 24-72 hours and gave me “complaintID” I could use to  track the status of the request.

Ok, here is my report: nothing happened. Nobody contacted me, the problem wasn’t fixed. At all.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If T-Mobile is still blocking the necessary ports on its grey Gateway router, how does a MagicJack work when plugged into it?  My VoiP phone requires ports 5060-5070 for communication with the server and UDP 10000-20000 ports to be open for two way voice communication.  I have yet to find a workaround.

Yep, cancelling. What a joke that I can’t use my VoIP phones on it

I had the same thing happen to me as “Person”. After doing some research Customer support said “We know that VOIP service won’t work with the home internet, we are working on it and will inform you when we have a solution”. I wasn’t looking for Magic Jack, but another service I use. I tried using another router but it didn’t solve the problem. Google Voice works fine. But Denwa “My Ecuador VOIP service” rings but never connects. As soon as I switch to another network, it works perfectly. 

I have the same problem with MagicJack. Mostly on outbound calls. The other party cannot hear me but I can hear them. It works sometimes. Less than 50% of the time. Sometime it will work for a second or two then the other party stop hearing me. If it is firewall settings, port blocking, SIP ALG, wouldn’t it fail 100% of the time? 

In my case, it is a 100% fail. I cannot send or receive calls. Tech support for the application I am trying to use told me what ports T-Mobile had to open to allow the service to work, and I gave them to T-Mobile, but I still don’t have active service. I am resolved to use my cellular data (T-Mobile :smirk: ) to make and receive phone calls. 

I try to use my Magic Jack VoIp phone via t-home Internet with Router TM-RTL0102.

phone is ringing but audio is one way, i.e. I cannot hear the caller but he hear me.

Any thoughts on setup ?

Robert

I connect my Magic Jack to my computer and it works fine. The downside is that I have to keep my computer turned on. So I use it only if I need to. Most people call my cell phone. 

I had the 4G LTE gateway for several years. It worked fine with both Grandstream HT702 and Obi200 ATA VOIP adapters. I upgraded to the NOKIA 5G21 (“trashcan”) and neither worked. Some people say they have used IP and other back-end equipment with it while others say they cannot. After hours with T-Mobile Home Internet techs, they suggested I try the Arkadyan KVD21 5G gateway. It works fine with my equipment. The GUI is very limited, so I cannot say whether users needing more advanced options would be able satisfy their needs. The 4G LTE gateway GUI had many advanced network specifications available, way beyond my skill level. 

[Note: The first KVD21 I had lost its Internet connection every few hours. I exchanged it quickly and without hassle at my local T-Mobile store. The replacement has been up for two days and seems stable and fine. Download speeds to my Cat6 cabled computer run between 70 Mbsp and well over a hundred. Upload speeds are not so stellar but adequate for my needs.]

I had the same problem, which started the moment I switched to the TM 5G service. This happened with BOTH of the MJ devices I had in service. By chance, I found that this MJ issue was solved when I connected an old wired router--with port speed limit of 10Mbps. I have a newer wired router now, which lets me “downspeed” by port. I have them set for 10Mbps, full-duplex. I don’t know why the MJs fail with ports  running faster. Or maybe it’s something peculiar with TMs 5G, which is worked around by down-speeding.

I’m having a new problem now with the 2 MJs; frequeent distorted voice and little echo bits and such. This happens even if the network is stripped down, with nothing else running (e.g. no PCs, TVs, anything). I even bought an Ooma VoIP device and have similar problems with that. From what I can see, you can’t do qos configurations on the 5G router. But Ooma allows for “pass through” configuration, meaning you can put it between the ISP router and the rest of your network. Ooma says that will result in the best voice quality (which makes sense), but it’s still not very good. Still working on this issue...

Ok, here is my report: nothing happened. Nobody contacted me, the problem wasn’t fixed. At all.

Classic TMobile Customer Service: Very polite and courteous, but they do not help you resolve the problem! I hate calling their customer service because it takes an enormous amount of time, they offer contradictory information, and have no accountability for the wrong information they give you.

I’m glad to see that I’m not alone here. My wife blames ME for trying to save us over $2K a year by moving from COMCAST to T-MOBILE business internet.

That’s right BUSINESS INTERNET.

I *NEED* to use a cordless phone system, connected to the internet to take orders for food, but my MagicJack system (which, BTW, I have used at home previously and have NEVER had a problem with, has an issue with our T-MOBILE 5G Router (the black tower one).  We have NO access to the SIP ALG on this Router.  I did everything I could to make this work; 

• changed power supply for the MJ device.
  • connected the MJ device DIRECTLY to the router (there are 2 Ethernet jacks; one goes to my 8:1 switch, the other connects to a VOICE device. Everything ELSE works GREAT!

So my question is:

Has ANYONE had any success using a separate router, directly connected to the TMOBILE router, to use Magic Jack?

I would purchase a land line, but NOBODY offers a land line anymore. They are ALL VOIP/Internet solutions.  That means that I don’t expect much greater success using other VOIP services (e.g. Ooma).

It is ODD that T-Mobile wouldn’t FIX this issue, but maybe it’s just me. I’m an MSEE and presume that access to those settings is NOT a big issue, and if it fixes the problem, they would likely make lots of friends. HELL, if I was a consultant to T-Mobile, I’d TELL THEM TO OFFER A VOIP SERVICE for $10/month and I’d bet they’d make BANK!

ANY suggestions/experience would be appreciated.  I do not want to go back to COMCAST. I am happy to make a one time hardware purchase for long-term service cost savings, but I *NEED* to have a working phone SOON, or I will be pressured to pay COMCAST their blood money...

I quit their service, for the same reason.
I use VOIPLY.  I *like* VOIPLY.  I use them through Comcast.  I would much rather use them through T-Mobile internet (there is a T-Mobile tower two blocks from my house, and I use T-Mobile for mobile phone service).
After trying T-Mobile internet, which I was totally satisfied with except for VOIP being blocked (and also, HORRIBLE, incompetent, obnoxious staff at 6864 Reisterstown Road, 21215), I quit and switched back to Comcast.  I would much rather use T-Mobile, but as soon as they stop blocking VOIP!

I have used Ooma home VoIP for several years. During Covid with cable internet (very fast speed) I can major issues. The problem was jitter and the cable node being bombarded by Zoom from Home school kids. Everyone focuses on the download and forgot the upload. Covid seemed to open some eyes. 
I was concerned about VoIP as that’s our old home phone (yeah, I’ve had a cell phone for 35 years, too). Ooma specifically said it works with TMobile. It does. Better than 400MBS cable. I can’t speak for Magic Jack. Ooma requires a Telo device (about 80 bucks on Amazon) and the service is “free” (you pay taxes which for me in PA is about 7.25 a month). I had Ooma Premier for several years for robo call blocking and caller-ID with name and free second line. I just dropped it. Same or less robocalls. Uploaded phone book to Oooma so we get everyone we know caller ID name. YMMV. 

Forgot to add---Using the Arcadyn box connected by ethernet to Google Mesh WiFi. I connected the Google Mesh main node by ethernet to a big switch, and my VoIP box is all ethernet to the TMobile box. VoIP really needs ethernet. Ooma even likes you to connect to the cable modem directly (could do that via the second Arcadyn ethernet port but why bother, works great now). 
I’ve only been on TMobile home internet for a couple months, but it has been perfect so far. My connection is modest at best, no great cell coverage and all the numbers on my phone app are mediocre. However, the service rarely drops below 20MBS down, 3 or so up (usually faster) and I have not noticed any issues streaming or using the phone. I am not a heavy streamer (at all) so my speed needs are pretty low.