Question

VPN or Proxy Service Error Message - Unable to watch Amazon Prime Video

• 9 November 2022
  • 12 replies

Badge

I’ve never had a problem accessing Amazon Prime Video over T-Mobile Home Internet plan with the 5G Gateway N1.

A month ago I started having intermittently getting this message:
Your device is connected to the Internet using a VPN or proxy service. Please disable it and try again. For more help, go to amazon.com/pv-vpn.

I would clear my browser cache and restart it, problem solved, sometimes I needed to reboot my computer but nothing more. I have never had a problem with Netflix, Apple+, Disney, or Hulu only Amazon and as of this evening nothing I try fixes it except switching to my backup network provider.

Any idea why only Amazon blocks my access by mistakenly thinking I am using a VPN or proxy service?

12 replies

+1!   I am having the same issue

I have same issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

OK so curious behavior. I can use my Apple MacBook Pro M1 with Safari, pretty much stock no added extensions or such and reach Amazon and get logged in without any problem. I have the Nokia gateway.

As a single change, nothing more, set the DNS to 9.9.9.9 for the adapter used to connect to the LAN.

The default DNS clients obtain when they receive the DHCP address is the gateway IP address. If there is some reason the DNS resolution is not functioning properly a change to a public DNS server may resolve the behavior. The change too will not cause undue issues. If you see no change you can always change it back.

Badge

I have the same problem. T-MOBILE Support did some troubleshooting and then said that it's an Amazon Prime issue. I contacted Amazon Support. I was told they are "working on it" the Support person couldn't give me a time frame for the fix.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@APEnchanted what kind of smart TV or streaming device are you using?  There have been discussions about this problem with Sony and/or Samsung TVs.  The users were able to use other streaming services with their TVs.  Many other people have no trouble with Prime Video on other devices (such as Roku.)  I think it’s a bug with the Amazon software related to Sony and/or Samsung TV OS.

Badge

@nc1037 Thank you for responding. I have a Sony Bravia Google TV mode: XR-42A90K. You could be right about a bug with Amazon software related to these TVs. YouTube, Apple TV and Netflix work just fine on my TV with the same service.

As another troubleshooting step, I tried streaming Prime Video on my Samsung mobile phone, which is on the same T-mobile 5G Home Internet WiFi and this did not work either. Next, I turned off WiFi on my mobile phone, thereby forcing data transfer over the cell LTE network and this time Prime Video worked/ streamed just fine. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@APEnchanted  That’s weird about your phone not streaming Prime Video thru your T-Mobile Home Internet either.  I have no trouble with any of my streaming services on my TCL Roku TVs and my Fire TV Stick.  You could get a Roku or Fire TV Stick to attach to your TV to watch Prime Video.

Me too. Netflix, YouTube, Disney all work fine. Amazon does not.

Badge

Folks - A quick update - I don’t know what changed but Prime Video works on my Samsung phone and Chromebook now (what a relief!).

However, to be clear, Prime Video still does NOT work on my Sony Bravia TV.

I have a Sony tv & prime does not work with T-Mobile wifi. I talked at length with both Amazon & T Mobile. Amazon had me remove and reinstall the prime app. That fixed it for a day or so. T mobile had me change from 5 g to 2.4 g, that worked for a day or so. Then I read on this forum & someone mentioned using Amazon fire stick, which I never use as the Sony remote has an apps button. I tried the fire stick & prime works great. I guess bypassing the Sony remote was the solution. WHEW….so glad I looked at this forum….

My quick temporary solution, as I also have a Sony smart TV (2016?) with Chromecast as my interface, was to just cast from my phone or laptop. Otherwise i have the same error message with Amazon Prime Video when I try to play it straight from TV. :/

TMobile and Amazon don’t appear to be able to solve this problem based on my experience. They are more interested in finger-pointing: “It’s Amazon’s fault. It’s TMobile’s Fault. It’s your TV manufacturer’s fault.”  

You can use your phone as a hotspot or cast from your phone to your tv. 

I wound up buying a fire stick from Amazon for about $40 and it works great. I complained on Amazon chat and they reimbursed me for the cost so I can’t complain about that. I had also thought about switching from TMobile home internet since it seems to be the only provider with this problem. 

There are multiple posts on Amazon and TMobile help forums and other sites reporting the same problem so it’s frustrating they act like they’ve never heard of the problem.