Question

Web Guard disabled but not really

Userlevel 1
Badge

My son was having trouble getting to a couple of sites for a research project on Friday. It was the same error for both so he came to me with it.

“Content Restricted : The Web Guard feature has been enabled on your mobile line and is restricting your access to this content. An authorized person on your mobile account can disable this restriction through the account management website.”

A quick search turned up the Web Guard feature. I went to the tmobile site to turn it off and found it was already off. Then I used the app. It was off there too. Both showed Web Guard set to “No restrictions”. I tried to toggle it myself and got the following error when trying to switch to Child, Teen, and Young Adult. “Update Operation Failed”

So I called tech support. The lady I spoke with had never heard of this before. She toggled Web Guard on her end and said I should reboot my router. Had I gotten through to tech support in under 40 minutes, I’d likely still have been at home but I was picking my daughter up from daycare at the time so I told her I’d try when I got home. She said she wanted to know if what she did fixed the issue so she asked if it was ok to call back in an hour. I told her that would be great. The service was back to normal when I got home. No reboot was needed. She never called back.

This morning I ran into the same problem with some blocked sites. I called tech support and the guy on the other end toggled it off and on. Then he asked me to reboot. I told him I couldn’t reboot because I have two kids in virtual classrooms and my wife and I are both working too. I did note that I didn’t need to reboot for it to work on Friday. He said that’s not possible because there needs to be a reboot every time there’s a network change. Either that’s simply not true or he’s miscategorizing what he did as a “network change”. My router didn’t require a reboot to “ghost enable” Web Guard twice now and didn’t require a reboot to disable Web Guard on Friday so why does it require a reboot now?

I’ve only had home internet for a couple of months and this is a rather new issue to me but I’m seeing a lot of people complaining about it. Is this a call I’m going to have to make every week? Several times a week? It wouldn’t be that bad if I didn’t have to hold for 40 minutes each time.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

And there it is. A lunchtime reboot did disable Web Guard or maybe it just needed time for the change to take effect. I should’ve tried refreshing before rebooting. Oh well. Seriously though…..what’s going on here? This isn’t sustainable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I actually had this same problem but it wasn’t Tmobile but an update through FireFox that caused the problem. Did a google search and found out how to disable it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Are you saying that this problem that t-mobile has fixed from their end twice now was really caused by a Firefox update?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s definitely weird that a Firefox content blocker is throwing the same error message as the t-mobile web guard.

Badge

It’s TMo. When you speak with them, tell them you need your accounts resynced for a permanent solution. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It’s definitely weird that a Firefox content blocker is throwing the same error message as the t-mobile web guard.

That’s why I was going to my Tmobile settings for WebGuard and they were turned off. Did a google  search and found this.

Web Guard | T-Mobile Community

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is definitely on t-mobile’s end.  The bro I talked to this morning confirmed it by toggling the web guard and fixing it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Luckily for me it was on Firefox’s end and I haven’t had a problem since.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Aaaaaaaaaaaand………..Web Guard is back on again. Who do I contact about the work I’m missing to call tech support?

Userlevel 1
Badge

My billable rate is $300/hr