Question

Weekly Reboot

Show first post

61 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Just a statement an excellent engineer told me long ago. “I don’t want to know what you think. I want to know what you know.” I took that to heart 20 year ago when I ended up taking his position on the L3 hostile team. I respect him a great deal and that helped me be successful for the past 20 years as a network escalation engineer. It is obvious to me you have been working hard at picking this apart. You might be onto something with the software and a memory leak or some table corruption. I had very few problems with uplinks to the towers between early January and into late June. I don’t know when the software version 1.2003.03.0178 was pushed out so I don’t have enough data to have a full picture on this but it does seem suspicious to me.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

FYI - You probably know this but well just in case. Supported T-Mobile bands in the US.

• 5G Bands: n2, n25, n41, n66, n71
  • 4G LTE Bands: B2, B4, B5, B12, B25, B26, B41, B46, B48, B66, B71

There is an interesting article at waveform.com you would find helpful. (Excellent information)

1. Hotspot Guides
  2. T-Mobile High Speed 5G Internet Gateway External Antenna Guide

No I have no connection to them. I found this while picking this problem apart. This is some of the best information I found when researching the T-Mobile Nokia gateway.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have had the T-MO gateway running here since early in January so i have seen several updates in the software now. I don’t know for sure the version it was running just prior to 1.2003.03.0178 but until the past few weeks I had not experienced many issues with connections to the towers at all. In fact it was very stable and seldom needed to have any attention. I have my suspicions about the 1.2003.03.0178 software version because the random tower disconnects are more recent. Before  rebooting I recommend recording the tower uplink information to record the RSRP, RSRQ and SNR values over time and know what channels are used. I see a few dBm difference here and there but the main factor I see as impact is the loss of the n71 channel/band on the secondary signal. You really want to see both the LTE and 5G signals standing. You might find, as I did, when only the LTE signal on B2 is up it becomes unreliable. Recording the information about the uplinks to the tower and having a historical record would probably be helpful. The more you know the better the profile of operation and behaviors. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

With the information you have posted so far it is hard to say for sure as you need to look at the statistics a little closer for the signals. Sorry, I am not trying to be a pain or jerk just trying to help. I have been fighting similar issues as well. I know my GW is on software version 1.2003.03.0178 and that the unit does pick up two channels, the LTE (B2) and 5G n71 channel. You report seeing 5 bars on the can which is 1-2 more than I see so that is positive. I know when my GW reports 3 bars the tower signals are not being received as well. Reporting via the software connection vs the top of the GW seem to be a little out of sync for me. T-Mobile states it only supports up to 64 devices in the configuration of the GW and more devices vs fewer might lead to some throttling. I am not sure. I did have more unstable behavior with more clients. Not sure if it was related or not. For me the wireless signals for local WIFI look great but then random out of the blue no internet reported. Well, it relates to the tower uplinks. The primary signal tends to be the LTE signal and the secondary signal is the 5G band or that is what I have seen every time with mine. If the n71 is not reported it gets slow and of course more latency with the LTE signal. I reviewed an article that seemed to suggest T-Mobile uses a blending of the LTE and 5G signals so attempting to go with just 5G is probably not going to happen. I see no way to influence the signal handling of the connections to the tower. Look at the RSRP, RSRQ and SNR values. If you have good or excellent RSRQ signal quality that will be positive. Of course signal strength reported as -100 dBm or better say > -90 dBm is excellent but if the signal quality is < -13 dB then that is fair to poor and will impact the signals. These are values to understand and know. I have spent considerable time on this and I know I have good signal strength RSRP and good to excellent RSRQ signal quality and the SNR signal to noise ratio is excellent but I still see random signal drops which is frustrating. A T-Mobile support engineer could tell you if they are doing work in the area on the towers and given the aggressive push T-Mobile is making on expansion could be a factor. Regarding airflow, well I am in TN and I put my can outside in 88 degree heat to improve the signal to reduce possible interference and it is running fine and holding signal for hours now where it was dropping one or both channels to the tower rather frequently. I have the unit in the shade but the 88 degree temperature does not seem to phase it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I had things freeze up on my last night.  It was actually quite strange.  I suddenly lost all connections to a particular set of servers I was working with.  They are all in the same datacenter so at first I thought it was host issue.  I couldn’t hit the hosting provider’s website either.  I was still able to access Gmail and some other Google sites.  But using Google’s built in speed test tool failed.  I could still ping their DNS server though (8.8.8.8).  Just in case it was a T-Mobile issue I dropped my phone off the wi-fi and everything worked fine.  If I didn’t know better, I would say the issues I saw were similar to the ones I would experience when I tried using the devices’ built-in wi-fi.  So even though I have a dedicated wi-fi router there must be something on the device that is still leaking memory over time and eventually starts failing.  I did get to 21 days of uptime though which is a new record.  With this as a possibility when I leave the device up for too long and the fact that I can’t keep the same public IP for more than 2 weeks I will probably start doing a planned reboot every time my public IP changes which means, in the best of times, a reboot every 2 weeks.

I haven’t gotten around to troubleshooting issues much since I’m waiting for a USB fan to come in the mail to try and resolve the heat issue. Last night it was uncomfortably warm and was either offline or online just enough to struggle to load webpages even with multiple restarts and power downs.

I will say though that when it is working I do notice during session where I upload and download at the same time the download’s performance is unaffected, yet the upload performance takes a massive hit. I would also get unusually low Upload speeds on tests early on when I had the service. Like Kbit/s range while the download was anywhere between 50Mbit-100BMbit. I figured it was because my signal hovers around 2-3 bars, but I just ran it today and got this score.

Express Test on Testmy.net

Even tested large file size of 100MB and even though it took a minute it still said it was around 9.0 Mbps

latency is low, but does generally get worse if I’m running a video in the background, though its not enough to cause issues unless you’re transferring files to London or Frankfurt. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so while that same video was still running in the background I tried a speed test. At first it scored the same, just slightly lower 8.5Mbps. But check out what happened after I let the video run for a bit. 

The video was only at 480p by the way. I don’t know why, but regardless it is effecting the upload severely. I tested 3 times and got similar results. I test 3 times after the fact and still got these slow speeds and even lost connection to some of my websites while going through my tabs and refreshing. Didn’t need a restart though.

Download however, during my testing with the video.

Is completely unaffected. And no everyone else in the house isn’t doing anything extreme. Just web browsing while I do these tests and the router isn’t even hot yet. I tested after the fact too and its still just as fast. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I had to reboot my modem last night after staying up for a good 18 days.  I work from home and it’s not unusual for me to download or upload files that are over 1 GB in size.  Usually that’s not a problem.  Last night, however, I found myself downloading one of those large files while also uploading a large file.  I would say this does not usually happen.  In the middle of the transfer everything completely stopped working and I had to reboot.  Once I was back online I was able to continue going with no problems.  I wonder if all the bi-directional traffic going on at the same time was too much for it to handle for too long of a period.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Also as a suggestion you can try with the Wi-Fi when it comes to connecting multiple devices. Try separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands in the settings. When I first got my device they were sort of blended together and separating them would help with connectivity since 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz don’t interfere with each other due to being different frequencies. I believe all you need to do to separate them is rename the SSID of the 5G just to say 5G at the end and make sure the password is the same as the 2.4Ghz, unless you want a different password of course. 

Side Note: I think the maximum devices for each Wi-Fi band is 10, I don’t remember where I read it, but I think it was in a manual. Though I would think that 20 devices running off the same frequency would cause interruptions.  

I used to agree with separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wi-fi networks (I’ve been in the networking business for decades) but if you have good hardware that doesn’t need to be the case any more.  I bought a TP-Link Archer C6 router last year before I got T-Mobile and it’s been great.  I use the same SSID for both networks with no problems.  I got this router because my previous provider’s all-in-one device did not do well on the wi-fi side.  I found the same with T-Mobile so I’m not even using the wi-fi on the Nokia.  I’m using a single ethernet connection between the Nokia and the TP-Link and have turned off all wi-fi SSIDs on the Nokia to make sure it doesn’t get in the way.  With all that I’m looking at a stable 4G hotspot with a 15+ day uptime.

I read that you mentioned heat as a issue and I would be inclined to agree that this might be an issue. I used to have an old phone which I ran a tethering Hotspot to my computer to share the connection with my other devices through Ethernet. When the phone got hot, due to it charging and processing internet data at the same time, it would lose all connectivity to the internet. 

I eventually got a new phone that ran much cooler and generally I could have a uptime as long as I wanted to, or at least until the tethering app crashed, but that was fixed by rerunning the app and reconnecting. 

Now I had Straight Talk which runs off of the same T-Mobile/Version network so I had a general idea on the quality of internet I would get, even though its generally 2 to 3 bars of 4G only. However, so far when the service works I get vastly superior speeds to what tethering my phone was capable of. The downside is that I experience disconnects that are fixed by rebooting the device, similar to your issue, or just waiting it out. 

The secondary signal does sometimes disconnect for me, but generally I either still maintain my service connection regardless, or when it goes offline I still see that my secondary signal is still connected.

Mine generally runs 8-32 hours of uptime before a restart, or multiple restarts, while running only around 6 Wi-Fi devices and 1 or 2 Ethernet connections

Since you have issues with a 4-5 bar connection I think its safe to say that my issues are generally not brought on by occasional poor connection.

When I place my hand over the vent I can tell its pushing out hot air weakly, and as you’ve said in your latest post those cooling fans seemed to have helped. My device is in a small room with my PC and Consoles so it does get hot in here depending on what I’m running since our house naturally hovers around 75 degrees. 

Also as a suggestion you can try with the Wi-Fi when it comes to connecting multiple devices. Try separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands in the settings. When I first got my device they were sort of blended together and separating them would help with connectivity since 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz don’t interfere with each other due to being different frequencies. I believe all you need to do to separate them is rename the SSID of the 5G just to say 5G at the end and make sure the password is the same as the 2.4Ghz, unless you want a different password of course. 

Side Note: I think the maximum devices for each Wi-Fi band is 10, I don’t remember where I read it, but I think it was in a manual. Though I would think that 20 devices running off the same frequency would cause interruptions.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I hit a new milestone today: 14+ day uptime!  My device is back in the cooler basement but I never got this far without dedicated cooling fans.  I have the FCC speed test app on my phone and it runs daily speed tests in the background.  It’s claiming an average download speed of 99.5 Mbps over the last week with an average 44.5 Mbps upload so I’m happy.  The only complaint is that a couple days ago my public IP changed overnight.  Any network connection I had open from my computer was dropped but as far as I can tell it was not a device reboot.  If I had to guess I would say the DHCP lease expired and it could not renew my IP for some reason.  I’m not 100% sure but I will keep an eye out and see if that happens on a regular basis.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I make it a habit of checking my modem’s uptime on a daily basis.  I’ve been waiting to get past that 7 day milestone now that I have the cooling fans installed.  Yesterday morning I was over 5 days.  Throughout the days we had some strange internet problems around the house.  Sites would load from one device but not another.  Then eventually it would work again.  I would check to make sure pings were still working and they were.  Speed tests came back normal.  I attributed it to the worldwide issues from the day before.  Last night I checked on the device again and, much to my surprise, the uptime was only about 16 hours.  Assuming this was correct, it had rebooted before I was even up for the day.  This would also mean the uptime counter I saw earlier in the day was not accurate.  I think it’s cached in the browser a bit and if you don’t click refresh it could show you the wrong time.  So as best as I can tell, the modem restarted yesterday morning.  It has not done that on me before.  But with the weird issues experienced throughout the day, my guess is that it was maybe running low on memory.  We have 20 devices online and all that NAT probably wears it down over time.  So I decided to make the change back to my previous wifi router and only use the modem as a gateway.  I also decided to move it back to the basement.  The tower it connects to is close enough that I still get decent signal from the basement with the added bonus that it’s cooler down there than the rest of the house.  I’ve also determined that even though my secondary signal uses a 5G band, it’s not actually being used.  So it’s basically 4G home internet which I am happy with as long as it’s stable.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Smoky You might try some of the suggestions earlier in this thread regarding airflow through the device.  The symptoms you’re describing match up with what I was going through.  The device seems to overheat easily.  The location issue is separate and I don’t think there’s a fix for that.  I’m in Kansas but most sites think I’m in Texas because of my IP.

Badge

I am new to the forum, but I am having problems with random loss of internet.  I have the 5G modem, wifi turned off, output via Ethernet cable to a eero mesh network.  Most the time it works fine/great, but in the last 24 days it has gone down what seems to be randomly seven times.  Always after pushing the on/off button to power off for about 30 seconds it comes back just fine until it fails again.  Very frustrating.

I found one time it went down the “location” changed when it powered back up from Birmingham to Nashville.  I just happened to have done a speed test before it went down, and noticed the change.  The other times I couldn’t figure out anything.  It always comes right back fine after the power on and off sequence.  Yesterday it went down twice, but that is unusual.  First failure on 5/14, then 5/15 ,then 5/24 then 5/28, then 6/5 and twice yesterday on 6/7.

Help us TMOBILE

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

After my last reboot I only lasted about 12 hours for some reason so I ordered a set of cooling fans.  I put them in place yesterday and moved the modem back to a nearby table.  The set came with two fans so I’ve got on on top and bottom to really move the air through.  My uptime at the moment is 2 days and 1 hour.  Interestingly, I have no secondary signal right now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I still think there’s a heat issue but I don’t think that’s the only issue in my situation.  I just had to reboot the device after staying on for 5 days and 6 hours.  It’s had constant airflow through the device and it’s quite cool to the touch.  This amount of uptime fits in more with my earlier issues of having to reboot once a week.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

After rebooting at least twice a day for the last week my connection has been stable for 26 hours.  The possible solution?  Airflow.  I’ve read about people adding fans to keep the tower cool but my tower has never felt hot.  After seeing another post yesterday morning referencing the overheating, I decided to set my tower on a nearby air conditioning vent on the floor.  Immediately a poof of hot air came out through the top vents and since then I’ve not had any problems.  I’m still not getting 5G speeds but at least it’s been stable for over a day now.  I previously had the device in the basement which is a little bit cooler but the air flow was not any different.  It must have been just cool enough to keep it running for a week at a time.  That is until the outdoor temperatures warmed up.  That’s my theory for now anyway.  If this solution can get me past the 2 week mark then I’m sold and will invest in a fan that I can move around the house with it.

Thank you for mentioning airflow and overheating, which has several posts about it throughout this community.

Being preventative on potential future problems, purchased a 120mm cooling fan that has two speeds and runs off USB.  The gateway sets on top of it, and the fan has a slow speed that is perfectly quiet.  Got it from Microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/471081/evercool-f-ufan-12-el-bearing-120mm-usb-case-fan-with-controller

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

After rebooting at least twice a day for the last week my connection has been stable for 26 hours.  The possible solution?  Airflow.  I’ve read about people adding fans to keep the tower cool but my tower has never felt hot.  After seeing another post yesterday morning referencing the overheating, I decided to set my tower on a nearby air conditioning vent on the floor.  Immediately a poof of hot air came out through the top vents and since then I’ve not had any problems.  I’m still not getting 5G speeds but at least it’s been stable for over a day now.  I previously had the device in the basement which is a little bit cooler but the air flow was not any different.  It must have been just cool enough to keep it running for a week at a time.  That is until the outdoor temperatures warmed up.  That’s my theory for now anyway.  If this solution can get me past the 2 week mark then I’m sold and will invest in a fan that I can move around the house with it.

Badge

It’s easy to know if your Internet is not working at all.  I do a lot of work from home and transfer a lot of large files.  I’ve been on TMobile Home Internet for several months and the download and/or upload speed every few days drops to like 1/4th or less to what is usually is, permanently.  You can easily reset it by flipping the small switch on the back and wait for the 3 blinking (now orange) lights to stop blinking then flip the switch back on. You don’t have to login to the console or take the backup battery out.  Although now come to think of it, logging into the console and rebooting it is probably more convenient than me walking downstairs and flipping the switch!

It’s almost as if it’s by design that once I’ve gone over X amount of data transfer it switched me to a lower speed connection, which in many cases, your average user just doing email and some web browing would not even notice the speed diff.  

Check your speeds with speedtest.net after a reboot, then ocassionally every couple days check it and you’ll probably see what I’m talking about.  My normal download is about 110mbit and my Upload about 40mbit.  Unless I reboot every 2-7 days, I find it winds up at 20’s for download and 3-7 mbit upload.  What usually tips me off is when I’m uploading photos or video to the cloud and I notice the estimated transfer time is a lot longer than normal for the size and number of files I’m uploading.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I checked the router earlier and noticed I had crossed the 12 hour mark so I was ready for an outage.  It happened a little later than expected.  I made it to 13.5 hours.  I have a different theory on the problem now though.  Usually if I’m at my computer I will throw up a quick ping to see if I’m offline or simply hitting a slow spot.  My ping will usually give me around 100ms response time.  When things go offline, it just times out.  I waited a little longer this time and noticed that even though most of my pings were timing out, a few were coming back with over 10,000ms response times.  So I think my internet is not going out completely...it’s getting choked to unreasonable speeds.  This matches up with others that have posted about slow speeds.  I assumed I was completely cut off because I have 20 devices connected.  Nothing intense is going on right now right so it’s not that we’re sucking up bandwidth, but if 20 devices are trying to moderately use a throttled connection, it would look like this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I moved my router around yesterday until I found a spot where I will sometimes get 5 bars.  Turns out I can see the tower from a nearby window.  I checked cellmapper and it claims it’s a 4G tower.  There are several 5G towers close by but not nearly as close.  That’s probably why my secondary signal is only 2 bars.  I would really like to be able to tell it to only use 5G though to see how stable it is.

But the bigger problem is that the connection dropped again before bed.  This time it had only been online for a little over 6 hours.  Is it possible I have a bad device or is it more likely my tower doesn’t like me?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Internet went down again overnight as I passed the 12 hour limit.  Based on my download speeds and the bands being reported through the admin I believe I am only on 4G LTE.  I don’t know if that would affect connectivity.  On the plus side, the new firmware seems to be playing nice with the wi-fi now so I’m giving it a chance at being an all-in-one device again.  This morning I did a factory reset to see if that would help the 12 hour thing.  Once I was back online I checked the statistics page I mentioned last night and those details are showing up now.  I’ve also been trying different locations in my home to get the best connection possible.  The bars on top of the device never change (which I realize may now mean it’s not getting 5G) and I can’t usually get my primary signal past 4 bars on the web admin but I can seem to improve my speed tests every once in a while.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My connection stopped working again this afternoon.  I checked the router and it said both signals were connected.  But the pattern I think I’m noticing now is that the connection doesn’t last much more than 12 hours.  I’ve seen that several times over the last few days now.  This time I powered off the router instead of just doing a soft reboot.  I think I’ve already done this since the upgrade so I’m not expecting different results.  Something I did different, though, was switch back to the built-in wi-fi.  I had that turned off but have been wanting to test it out again since the firmware upgrade.  So far things are looking good on that front.

Should I be seeing anything under http://192.168.12.1/web_whw/#/statistics ?  The LAN page always shows all zeroes.  The Cellular tab shows No WAN Connection.  And the WLAN tab shows that both bands are disabled.  This does not seem right but maybe it’s for a different feature.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I got the new firmware late Sunday night or early Monday morning.  I had issues yesterday morning and had to reboot again.  I was hoping that maybe a reboot after the upgrade would help but it went out again last night.  I don’t know if I paid close attention to this before or if this is a new behavior but before I rebooted last night I noticed that my Secondary Signal was Disconnected.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

You may want to contact our care team. You may be running outdated firmware and there’s a chance we can file a Trouble Ticket to get our folks to push you the update and help with the internet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Up until yesterday nothing had really changed.  I was still rebooting about once a week although one time I managed to go 12 or 13 days without rebooting.  Yesterday, however, I had to reboot 3 or 4 times.  I still don’t have the firmware update.  Hopefully yesterday was a one-time service glitch and not a new normal.