Question

Weekly Reboot

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I am still in my first month of home internet but it has been good enough to cancel my previous cable provider whose service was unreliable at times.  When I first got the 5G home internet, I tried using it as my wi-fi hotspot as well.  That didn’t work well.  I have close to 20 devices and they would all connect but some connections failed over time or some devices would not work properly.  It was definitely not going to be reliable enough to keep.  Although the symptoms were different, I had similar problems with my cable providers’ all-in-one modem when it came to wi-fi.  My solution for that was to offload the wi-fi onto a dedicated device and just use the modem as a modem.  That helped with the wi-fi issues but still left me with unreliable internet at times.  I went the same route with the 5G home internet as well.  My wi-fi performance is doing great and the 5G home internet is hard-wired to the wi-fi router.  Everything works great except that on a couple occasions my internet just completely stopped working.  The first time when I checked the modem through the web admin it had been up for a little over 7 days and a reboot fixed the issue.  This morning the same thing happened.  I checked the web admin and the uptime was a little over 9 days.  Again, rebooting fixed the issue.  I’ll update this question as I gather more data but has anyone else seen behavior like this?  My guess is that the device has some sort of memory leak that I’m hitting after a week of usage and a reboot clears it out.

61 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve also discovered that occasional reboots are helpful. What’s aggravating is that I can’t find an easy way to do that other than signing into the web portal. If you unplug the gateway, it just runs on battery. Has anyone found a quicker way to reboot?

Userlevel 1
Badge

In the time I’ve had the Nokia gateway so far, I noticed that the opposite is true: rebooting the gateway does not improve things. What ends up happening is that after rebooting, the internet speeds are degraded significantly until the gateway reconnects to the secondary signal (as in, some bars in the “Secondary Signal” indicator, whatever that actually means). This process of reconnecting to the secondary signal can take several hours. So I do not reboot the device unless there is a prolonged outage.

Gateway info follows:

Hardware Version: 3TG00739AABA
Software Version: 1.2003.03.0143
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I just had the internet drop out on me again.  This time it had only been up for about 3.5 days.  The first thing I did was move my wi-fi router from LAN2 to LAN1.  That didn’t help.  Then I rebooted my wi-fi router.  No help.  Finally I rebooted the 5G home internet and everything is working fine now.  I don’t mind going in through the web portal to reboot it.  It’s actually quicker for me than having to get up and power cycle it.

@justrick1701 There’s a power button on the back.  Have you tried that instead of unplugging?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It stopped working again after only 12 hours.  if it goes out again today I may try the power button.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It stopped working again after about 48 hours.  I still don’t have a pattern figured out.  This time, however, I rebooted it with the power button on the back.

I’ve been having an almost daily issue with the internet dropping.  I called support and spoke to a what seemed a knowledgeable rep.  He said they have been having a lot of issues the last couple of weeks as bugs are worked out.  A lot of firmware updates being sent.  Plus he said the tower I am pulling from mainly is under a modernization upgrade that is scheduled for completion the middle of this month and when that is done I should see major service improvements.  That did seem to make sense as the issue really started happening within 2 days of him saying the tower project started.

Overall happy and saving a ton compared to Comcast so I’ll deal with some growing pains right now.

He said using the power button on the modem is fine but told me to leave it off for at least 4 minutes.  I had never heard that.  He said it takes that long for the tower to actually realize the connection has been lost and will create a new “handshake” and fresh connection.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

For unrelated reasons, I moved my router to my basement.  When I had it upstairs the screen on top always showed 5 bars even though the web admin shows 4 bars under 5G.  I got the same signal quality after moving the router and speeds were the same.  I had no problems for the rest of the day.  The next morning the internet went down.  I rebooted with the power button.  It went down again later that night and I rebooted through the web admin.  Today I’ve had no problems at all.  Since this is wireless I’m not surprised that the device loses the connection from time to time.  But I’m guessing that it’s just not bouncing back automatically when it loses that connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jlillard, I believe your software (firmware) version should end in 168 for latest firmware release (at least in the US). Try resetting the device to see if it updates firmware during the setup process. If not in the US, I believe your firmware version is the latest release. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@n2itivguy I am already on software version 1.2003.03.0168.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jlillard, awesome! About a week ago, gearing up for major testing of this service, I performed a factory reset of the gateway and have been slowly adding my household devices. It’s been 7.5 days and I’ve not yet needed to perform a reboot. Some devices seemed to not initially pull data, but a restart/reboot of those devices to flush old DNS settings has helped and all devices are working as expected. Right now, 11 devices connected to the gateway, no separate router connected. No devices have lost connection (that I’m aware of), I’m able to game fine with PSN and cross-play via PS4, NAT B (moderate). My Visio TV can stream from the various apps (testing as I generally watch through Apple TV), all Apple TV streaming apps work fine, iPhones and iPads, son’s PC, etc. There is packet loss indicated in the web UI, though it’s not a lot. Still, I’d prefer to see “0%” packet loss. 

Looking further in the web UI, have you tried restricting the security to below WPA3 or setting channels to “Auto?” Sometimes a set channel may experience interference and setting a different channel or using “Auto” (if it monitors channels and changes in the fly once a certain interference threshold is met) can keep devices connected. You may also want to try separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands u set different SSIDs. For the 5GHz band, you’ll want to check both SSID 5 and SSID 9; 2.4Ghz is SSID 1. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@n2itivguy I'm using a dedicated router for wi-fi and have all the channels turned off.  A factory reset would be interesting to try though.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Up until yesterday nothing had really changed.  I was still rebooting about once a week although one time I managed to go 12 or 13 days without rebooting.  Yesterday, however, I had to reboot 3 or 4 times.  I still don’t have the firmware update.  Hopefully yesterday was a one-time service glitch and not a new normal.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You may want to contact our care team. You may be running outdated firmware and there’s a chance we can file a Trouble Ticket to get our folks to push you the update and help with the internet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I got the new firmware late Sunday night or early Monday morning.  I had issues yesterday morning and had to reboot again.  I was hoping that maybe a reboot after the upgrade would help but it went out again last night.  I don’t know if I paid close attention to this before or if this is a new behavior but before I rebooted last night I noticed that my Secondary Signal was Disconnected.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My connection stopped working again this afternoon.  I checked the router and it said both signals were connected.  But the pattern I think I’m noticing now is that the connection doesn’t last much more than 12 hours.  I’ve seen that several times over the last few days now.  This time I powered off the router instead of just doing a soft reboot.  I think I’ve already done this since the upgrade so I’m not expecting different results.  Something I did different, though, was switch back to the built-in wi-fi.  I had that turned off but have been wanting to test it out again since the firmware upgrade.  So far things are looking good on that front.

Should I be seeing anything under http://192.168.12.1/web_whw/#/statistics ?  The LAN page always shows all zeroes.  The Cellular tab shows No WAN Connection.  And the WLAN tab shows that both bands are disabled.  This does not seem right but maybe it’s for a different feature.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Internet went down again overnight as I passed the 12 hour limit.  Based on my download speeds and the bands being reported through the admin I believe I am only on 4G LTE.  I don’t know if that would affect connectivity.  On the plus side, the new firmware seems to be playing nice with the wi-fi now so I’m giving it a chance at being an all-in-one device again.  This morning I did a factory reset to see if that would help the 12 hour thing.  Once I was back online I checked the statistics page I mentioned last night and those details are showing up now.  I’ve also been trying different locations in my home to get the best connection possible.  The bars on top of the device never change (which I realize may now mean it’s not getting 5G) and I can’t usually get my primary signal past 4 bars on the web admin but I can seem to improve my speed tests every once in a while.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I moved my router around yesterday until I found a spot where I will sometimes get 5 bars.  Turns out I can see the tower from a nearby window.  I checked cellmapper and it claims it’s a 4G tower.  There are several 5G towers close by but not nearly as close.  That’s probably why my secondary signal is only 2 bars.  I would really like to be able to tell it to only use 5G though to see how stable it is.

But the bigger problem is that the connection dropped again before bed.  This time it had only been online for a little over 6 hours.  Is it possible I have a bad device or is it more likely my tower doesn’t like me?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I checked the router earlier and noticed I had crossed the 12 hour mark so I was ready for an outage.  It happened a little later than expected.  I made it to 13.5 hours.  I have a different theory on the problem now though.  Usually if I’m at my computer I will throw up a quick ping to see if I’m offline or simply hitting a slow spot.  My ping will usually give me around 100ms response time.  When things go offline, it just times out.  I waited a little longer this time and noticed that even though most of my pings were timing out, a few were coming back with over 10,000ms response times.  So I think my internet is not going out completely...it’s getting choked to unreasonable speeds.  This matches up with others that have posted about slow speeds.  I assumed I was completely cut off because I have 20 devices connected.  Nothing intense is going on right now right so it’s not that we’re sucking up bandwidth, but if 20 devices are trying to moderately use a throttled connection, it would look like this.

Badge

It’s easy to know if your Internet is not working at all.  I do a lot of work from home and transfer a lot of large files.  I’ve been on TMobile Home Internet for several months and the download and/or upload speed every few days drops to like 1/4th or less to what is usually is, permanently.  You can easily reset it by flipping the small switch on the back and wait for the 3 blinking (now orange) lights to stop blinking then flip the switch back on. You don’t have to login to the console or take the backup battery out.  Although now come to think of it, logging into the console and rebooting it is probably more convenient than me walking downstairs and flipping the switch!

It’s almost as if it’s by design that once I’ve gone over X amount of data transfer it switched me to a lower speed connection, which in many cases, your average user just doing email and some web browing would not even notice the speed diff.  

Check your speeds with speedtest.net after a reboot, then ocassionally every couple days check it and you’ll probably see what I’m talking about.  My normal download is about 110mbit and my Upload about 40mbit.  Unless I reboot every 2-7 days, I find it winds up at 20’s for download and 3-7 mbit upload.  What usually tips me off is when I’m uploading photos or video to the cloud and I notice the estimated transfer time is a lot longer than normal for the size and number of files I’m uploading.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

After rebooting at least twice a day for the last week my connection has been stable for 26 hours.  The possible solution?  Airflow.  I’ve read about people adding fans to keep the tower cool but my tower has never felt hot.  After seeing another post yesterday morning referencing the overheating, I decided to set my tower on a nearby air conditioning vent on the floor.  Immediately a poof of hot air came out through the top vents and since then I’ve not had any problems.  I’m still not getting 5G speeds but at least it’s been stable for over a day now.  I previously had the device in the basement which is a little bit cooler but the air flow was not any different.  It must have been just cool enough to keep it running for a week at a time.  That is until the outdoor temperatures warmed up.  That’s my theory for now anyway.  If this solution can get me past the 2 week mark then I’m sold and will invest in a fan that I can move around the house with it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

After rebooting at least twice a day for the last week my connection has been stable for 26 hours.  The possible solution?  Airflow.  I’ve read about people adding fans to keep the tower cool but my tower has never felt hot.  After seeing another post yesterday morning referencing the overheating, I decided to set my tower on a nearby air conditioning vent on the floor.  Immediately a poof of hot air came out through the top vents and since then I’ve not had any problems.  I’m still not getting 5G speeds but at least it’s been stable for over a day now.  I previously had the device in the basement which is a little bit cooler but the air flow was not any different.  It must have been just cool enough to keep it running for a week at a time.  That is until the outdoor temperatures warmed up.  That’s my theory for now anyway.  If this solution can get me past the 2 week mark then I’m sold and will invest in a fan that I can move around the house with it.

Thank you for mentioning airflow and overheating, which has several posts about it throughout this community.

Being preventative on potential future problems, purchased a 120mm cooling fan that has two speeds and runs off USB.  The gateway sets on top of it, and the fan has a slow speed that is perfectly quiet.  Got it from Microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/471081/evercool-f-ufan-12-el-bearing-120mm-usb-case-fan-with-controller

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I still think there’s a heat issue but I don’t think that’s the only issue in my situation.  I just had to reboot the device after staying on for 5 days and 6 hours.  It’s had constant airflow through the device and it’s quite cool to the touch.  This amount of uptime fits in more with my earlier issues of having to reboot once a week.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

After my last reboot I only lasted about 12 hours for some reason so I ordered a set of cooling fans.  I put them in place yesterday and moved the modem back to a nearby table.  The set came with two fans so I’ve got on on top and bottom to really move the air through.  My uptime at the moment is 2 days and 1 hour.  Interestingly, I have no secondary signal right now.

Badge

I am new to the forum, but I am having problems with random loss of internet.  I have the 5G modem, wifi turned off, output via Ethernet cable to a eero mesh network.  Most the time it works fine/great, but in the last 24 days it has gone down what seems to be randomly seven times.  Always after pushing the on/off button to power off for about 30 seconds it comes back just fine until it fails again.  Very frustrating.

I found one time it went down the “location” changed when it powered back up from Birmingham to Nashville.  I just happened to have done a speed test before it went down, and noticed the change.  The other times I couldn’t figure out anything.  It always comes right back fine after the power on and off sequence.  Yesterday it went down twice, but that is unusual.  First failure on 5/14, then 5/15 ,then 5/24 then 5/28, then 6/5 and twice yesterday on 6/7.

Help us TMOBILE

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Smoky You might try some of the suggestions earlier in this thread regarding airflow through the device.  The symptoms you’re describing match up with what I was going through.  The device seems to overheat easily.  The location issue is separate and I don’t think there’s a fix for that.  I’m in Kansas but most sites think I’m in Texas because of my IP.