Question

Weekly Reboot

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I am still in my first month of home internet but it has been good enough to cancel my previous cable provider whose service was unreliable at times.  When I first got the 5G home internet, I tried using it as my wi-fi hotspot as well.  That didn’t work well.  I have close to 20 devices and they would all connect but some connections failed over time or some devices would not work properly.  It was definitely not going to be reliable enough to keep.  Although the symptoms were different, I had similar problems with my cable providers’ all-in-one modem when it came to wi-fi.  My solution for that was to offload the wi-fi onto a dedicated device and just use the modem as a modem.  That helped with the wi-fi issues but still left me with unreliable internet at times.  I went the same route with the 5G home internet as well.  My wi-fi performance is doing great and the 5G home internet is hard-wired to the wi-fi router.  Everything works great except that on a couple occasions my internet just completely stopped working.  The first time when I checked the modem through the web admin it had been up for a little over 7 days and a reboot fixed the issue.  This morning the same thing happened.  I checked the web admin and the uptime was a little over 9 days.  Again, rebooting fixed the issue.  I’ll update this question as I gather more data but has anyone else seen behavior like this?  My guess is that the device has some sort of memory leak that I’m hitting after a week of usage and a reboot clears it out.

61 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

For unrelated reasons, I moved my router to my basement.  When I had it upstairs the screen on top always showed 5 bars even though the web admin shows 4 bars under 5G.  I got the same signal quality after moving the router and speeds were the same.  I had no problems for the rest of the day.  The next morning the internet went down.  I rebooted with the power button.  It went down again later that night and I rebooted through the web admin.  Today I’ve had no problems at all.  Since this is wireless I’m not surprised that the device loses the connection from time to time.  But I’m guessing that it’s just not bouncing back automatically when it loses that connection.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I had to reboot my modem last night after staying up for a good 18 days.  I work from home and it’s not unusual for me to download or upload files that are over 1 GB in size.  Usually that’s not a problem.  Last night, however, I found myself downloading one of those large files while also uploading a large file.  I would say this does not usually happen.  In the middle of the transfer everything completely stopped working and I had to reboot.  Once I was back online I was able to continue going with no problems.  I wonder if all the bi-directional traffic going on at the same time was too much for it to handle for too long of a period.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Up until yesterday nothing had really changed.  I was still rebooting about once a week although one time I managed to go 12 or 13 days without rebooting.  Yesterday, however, I had to reboot 3 or 4 times.  I still don’t have the firmware update.  Hopefully yesterday was a one-time service glitch and not a new normal.

Badge

I am new to the forum, but I am having problems with random loss of internet.  I have the 5G modem, wifi turned off, output via Ethernet cable to a eero mesh network.  Most the time it works fine/great, but in the last 24 days it has gone down what seems to be randomly seven times.  Always after pushing the on/off button to power off for about 30 seconds it comes back just fine until it fails again.  Very frustrating.

I found one time it went down the “location” changed when it powered back up from Birmingham to Nashville.  I just happened to have done a speed test before it went down, and noticed the change.  The other times I couldn’t figure out anything.  It always comes right back fine after the power on and off sequence.  Yesterday it went down twice, but that is unusual.  First failure on 5/14, then 5/15 ,then 5/24 then 5/28, then 6/5 and twice yesterday on 6/7.

Help us TMOBILE

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Smoky You might try some of the suggestions earlier in this thread regarding airflow through the device.  The symptoms you’re describing match up with what I was going through.  The device seems to overheat easily.  The location issue is separate and I don’t think there’s a fix for that.  I’m in Kansas but most sites think I’m in Texas because of my IP.

I haven’t gotten around to troubleshooting issues much since I’m waiting for a USB fan to come in the mail to try and resolve the heat issue. Last night it was uncomfortably warm and was either offline or online just enough to struggle to load webpages even with multiple restarts and power downs.

I will say though that when it is working I do notice during session where I upload and download at the same time the download’s performance is unaffected, yet the upload performance takes a massive hit. I would also get unusually low Upload speeds on tests early on when I had the service. Like Kbit/s range while the download was anywhere between 50Mbit-100BMbit. I figured it was because my signal hovers around 2-3 bars, but I just ran it today and got this score.

Express Test on Testmy.net

Even tested large file size of 100MB and even though it took a minute it still said it was around 9.0 Mbps

latency is low, but does generally get worse if I’m running a video in the background, though its not enough to cause issues unless you’re transferring files to London or Frankfurt. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so while that same video was still running in the background I tried a speed test. At first it scored the same, just slightly lower 8.5Mbps. But check out what happened after I let the video run for a bit. 

The video was only at 480p by the way. I don’t know why, but regardless it is effecting the upload severely. I tested 3 times and got similar results. I test 3 times after the fact and still got these slow speeds and even lost connection to some of my websites while going through my tabs and refreshing. Didn’t need a restart though.

Download however, during my testing with the video.

Is completely unaffected. And no everyone else in the house isn’t doing anything extreme. Just web browsing while I do these tests and the router isn’t even hot yet. I tested after the fact too and its still just as fast. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

According to my scheduled speed tests I was on n41 from 8/14 @ 1:20pm to 8/18 @ 5:24am.  Then I dropped to n71.  Up until now the back of my modem has been pointing just west of south.  They should add a compass app to the top screen!  I rotated it clockwise about 45 degrees and rebooted.  I came back up on n71.  Then I rotated it counterclockwise 90 degrees and waited.  No change.  I rebooted and it came back on n41.  I will be interested to see how long I stay on n41 this time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You may want to contact our care team. You may be running outdated firmware and there’s a chance we can file a Trouble Ticket to get our folks to push you the update and help with the internet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I hit a new milestone today: 14+ day uptime!  My device is back in the cooler basement but I never got this far without dedicated cooling fans.  I have the FCC speed test app on my phone and it runs daily speed tests in the background.  It’s claiming an average download speed of 99.5 Mbps over the last week with an average 44.5 Mbps upload so I’m happy.  The only complaint is that a couple days ago my public IP changed overnight.  Any network connection I had open from my computer was dropped but as far as I can tell it was not a device reboot.  If I had to guess I would say the DHCP lease expired and it could not renew my IP for some reason.  I’m not 100% sure but I will keep an eye out and see if that happens on a regular basis.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I got the new firmware late Sunday night or early Monday morning.  I had issues yesterday morning and had to reboot again.  I was hoping that maybe a reboot after the upgrade would help but it went out again last night.  I don’t know if I paid close attention to this before or if this is a new behavior but before I rebooted last night I noticed that my Secondary Signal was Disconnected.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My connection stopped working again this afternoon.  I checked the router and it said both signals were connected.  But the pattern I think I’m noticing now is that the connection doesn’t last much more than 12 hours.  I’ve seen that several times over the last few days now.  This time I powered off the router instead of just doing a soft reboot.  I think I’ve already done this since the upgrade so I’m not expecting different results.  Something I did different, though, was switch back to the built-in wi-fi.  I had that turned off but have been wanting to test it out again since the firmware upgrade.  So far things are looking good on that front.

Should I be seeing anything under http://192.168.12.1/web_whw/#/statistics ?  The LAN page always shows all zeroes.  The Cellular tab shows No WAN Connection.  And the WLAN tab shows that both bands are disabled.  This does not seem right but maybe it’s for a different feature.

I read that you mentioned heat as a issue and I would be inclined to agree that this might be an issue. I used to have an old phone which I ran a tethering Hotspot to my computer to share the connection with my other devices through Ethernet. When the phone got hot, due to it charging and processing internet data at the same time, it would lose all connectivity to the internet. 

I eventually got a new phone that ran much cooler and generally I could have a uptime as long as I wanted to, or at least until the tethering app crashed, but that was fixed by rerunning the app and reconnecting. 

Now I had Straight Talk which runs off of the same T-Mobile/Version network so I had a general idea on the quality of internet I would get, even though its generally 2 to 3 bars of 4G only. However, so far when the service works I get vastly superior speeds to what tethering my phone was capable of. The downside is that I experience disconnects that are fixed by rebooting the device, similar to your issue, or just waiting it out. 

The secondary signal does sometimes disconnect for me, but generally I either still maintain my service connection regardless, or when it goes offline I still see that my secondary signal is still connected.

Mine generally runs 8-32 hours of uptime before a restart, or multiple restarts, while running only around 6 Wi-Fi devices and 1 or 2 Ethernet connections

Since you have issues with a 4-5 bar connection I think its safe to say that my issues are generally not brought on by occasional poor connection.

When I place my hand over the vent I can tell its pushing out hot air weakly, and as you’ve said in your latest post those cooling fans seemed to have helped. My device is in a small room with my PC and Consoles so it does get hot in here depending on what I’m running since our house naturally hovers around 75 degrees. 

Also as a suggestion you can try with the Wi-Fi when it comes to connecting multiple devices. Try separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands in the settings. When I first got my device they were sort of blended together and separating them would help with connectivity since 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz don’t interfere with each other due to being different frequencies. I believe all you need to do to separate them is rename the SSID of the 5G just to say 5G at the end and make sure the password is the same as the 2.4Ghz, unless you want a different password of course. 

Side Note: I think the maximum devices for each Wi-Fi band is 10, I don’t remember where I read it, but I think it was in a manual. Though I would think that 20 devices running off the same frequency would cause interruptions.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It stopped working again after about 48 hours.  I still don’t have a pattern figured out.  This time, however, I rebooted it with the power button on the back.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My modem dropped off n41 today and fell back to n71.  Still decent speeds but definitely slower.  A reboot brought me right back up on n41.  Looking at my previous posts I think I had similar issues last Sunday only I fell from n71 to nothing on the secondary channel.  I have my speed test app checking speeds every 6 hours.  My downloads have mostly been above 150 Mbps since my reboot on Tuesday.  Today they dropped below 100 Mbps.  I’ll increase my speed tests to hourly for a while to gather more data.

Before reboot

After reboot

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Internet went down again overnight as I passed the 12 hour limit.  Based on my download speeds and the bands being reported through the admin I believe I am only on 4G LTE.  I don’t know if that would affect connectivity.  On the plus side, the new firmware seems to be playing nice with the wi-fi now so I’m giving it a chance at being an all-in-one device again.  This morning I did a factory reset to see if that would help the 12 hour thing.  Once I was back online I checked the statistics page I mentioned last night and those details are showing up now.  I’ve also been trying different locations in my home to get the best connection possible.  The bars on top of the device never change (which I realize may now mean it’s not getting 5G) and I can’t usually get my primary signal past 4 bars on the web admin but I can seem to improve my speed tests every once in a while.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Either I’ve had my modem pointed the wrong way for months or the tower in town has been getting better.  I was able to stay on n41 for over 11 days before falling back to n71.  I made another rotation and was able to reboot on n41.  I’ve never seen my SNR higher than 18 so it must not be the strongest signal.  I’ve only got one angle left to try whenever I fall back to n71 again.  I also did not get the firmware update yet.  Although I did only do a soft reboot and not a hard reboot.  Does anyone know if that matters after a new firmware is downloaded?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Also as a suggestion you can try with the Wi-Fi when it comes to connecting multiple devices. Try separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands in the settings. When I first got my device they were sort of blended together and separating them would help with connectivity since 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz don’t interfere with each other due to being different frequencies. I believe all you need to do to separate them is rename the SSID of the 5G just to say 5G at the end and make sure the password is the same as the 2.4Ghz, unless you want a different password of course. 

Side Note: I think the maximum devices for each Wi-Fi band is 10, I don’t remember where I read it, but I think it was in a manual. Though I would think that 20 devices running off the same frequency would cause interruptions.  

I used to agree with separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wi-fi networks (I’ve been in the networking business for decades) but if you have good hardware that doesn’t need to be the case any more.  I bought a TP-Link Archer C6 router last year before I got T-Mobile and it’s been great.  I use the same SSID for both networks with no problems.  I got this router because my previous provider’s all-in-one device did not do well on the wi-fi side.  I found the same with T-Mobile so I’m not even using the wi-fi on the Nokia.  I’m using a single ethernet connection between the Nokia and the TP-Link and have turned off all wi-fi SSIDs on the Nokia to make sure it doesn’t get in the way.  With all that I’m looking at a stable 4G hotspot with a 15+ day uptime.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve also discovered that occasional reboots are helpful. What’s aggravating is that I can’t find an easy way to do that other than signing into the web portal. If you unplug the gateway, it just runs on battery. Has anyone found a quicker way to reboot?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I still think there’s a heat issue but I don’t think that’s the only issue in my situation.  I just had to reboot the device after staying on for 5 days and 6 hours.  It’s had constant airflow through the device and it’s quite cool to the touch.  This amount of uptime fits in more with my earlier issues of having to reboot once a week.

Userlevel 1
Badge

In the time I’ve had the Nokia gateway so far, I noticed that the opposite is true: rebooting the gateway does not improve things. What ends up happening is that after rebooting, the internet speeds are degraded significantly until the gateway reconnects to the secondary signal (as in, some bars in the “Secondary Signal” indicator, whatever that actually means). This process of reconnecting to the secondary signal can take several hours. So I do not reboot the device unless there is a prolonged outage.

Gateway info follows:

Hardware Version: 3TG00739AABA
Software Version: 1.2003.03.0143
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I ran into a new issue but I think I’ve seen a few other posts touch on it.  Yesterday I noticed my connection seemed slower than usual.  It continued today and I finally considered doing a speed test to confirm.  It was not dead in the water like my usual overheating scenario so I did not immediately assume it was a modem issue.  My speed test came back with around 10 Mbps download.  Yikes!  I have the FCC speed test app on my phone and it does background checks once a day.  It shows that my speed dropped from 72 Mbps on Sunday to 5 Mbps on Monday and 2 Mbps today.  So I checked the modem and noticed that my primary signal was on B2 and my secondary signal was not connected.  A quick reboot brought me back to B66 / n41 and my usual speeds.  It would be nice if the modem would keep an eye out for better signals and switch back when possible.  I understand falling down from time to time if something is unavailable but why not pop back up too?  Here are some before and after screenshots.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

After posting my screenshots I realized that I actually don’t usually get n41 for my secondary signal.  I am usually on n71.  I can confirm 200 Mbps downloads now so maybe something has changed on the tower in town and I’m getting better reception now.  Woot!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So you are on the n41 5G channel and your unit reports -108 dBm so that is in the Fair signal strength range. The -11 dBm puts the signal quality in the excellent range and the signal to noise ration is 13 dBm so that is still in the good range. I forget the range of the n41 band. I would have to look that up myself. I can't keep these things in my head. I do recall in my research seeing estimated range values for various 5G channels. I had some success with the rotation of my router making the 5G n71 come up 3-4 dBm and the 4G LTE went down but the end result was the LED panel on top of the router reports 4 bars vs 3 when I spin the can to have the 5G so it is most exposed in the direction of the tower. That is interesting. We appear to have the same hardware revision 3TG00739AAAA. Good or bad I dont know but we for sure use different primary and secondary channels.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

OK so interesting. My understanding, unless my memory fails me, is that n71 has more reach than the n41 band.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I moved my router around yesterday until I found a spot where I will sometimes get 5 bars.  Turns out I can see the tower from a nearby window.  I checked cellmapper and it claims it’s a 4G tower.  There are several 5G towers close by but not nearly as close.  That’s probably why my secondary signal is only 2 bars.  I would really like to be able to tell it to only use 5G though to see how stable it is.

But the bigger problem is that the connection dropped again before bed.  This time it had only been online for a little over 6 hours.  Is it possible I have a bad device or is it more likely my tower doesn’t like me?