Solved

What network is ethernet connected to?

• 10 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

This is a general question about ethernet. I have a T-Mobile 5G Gateway with two Wifi networks set up: a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz. I also have a device connected to the gateway via the ethernet port. My question is, which network is my ethernet device connected to - the 2.4 GHz or the 5GHz?

icon

Best answer by Marty Jack 10 June 2022, 03:16

View original

4 replies

There are four paths from the 5G side to your inside network.  The 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless are two of those.  The two Ethernet ports are the other two.  It is the same with the usual wireless router that has wireless access and also typically four Ethernet connectors.  I hope this clarifies that your Ethernet device is not connected to either the 2.4 or 5GHz paths.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Both wifi bands and both ethernet ports are all on the same 192.168.12.x network.

Badge

Thanks for the clarification, @Marty Jack and @Cali Cat ! It’s basic but fundamental to my understanding, so I appreciate the time it took for you both to answer!

This is a general question about ethernet. I have a T-Mobile 5G Gateway with two Wifi networks set up: a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz. I also have a device connected to the gateway via the ethernet port. My question is, which network is my ethernet device connected to - the 2.4 GHz or the 5GHz?

There are four paths from the 5G side to your inside network.  The 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless are two of those.  The two Ethernet ports are the other two.  It is the same with the usual wireless router that has wireless access and also typically four Ethernet connectors.  I hope this clarifies that your Ethernet device is not connected to either the 2.4 or 5GHz paths.

Awright Marty Jack! That says to me that you KNOW there are two ethernet ports on this 5G router.  It's worth my time to cruise t-Mobile stores to look at and verify your statement.

What I need is both wired and wireless security cameras for my truck.  (Someone got my catalytic converter which is about a $3,000 repair.). Anyway, someone would have to jam the cell signal AND hack or jam the WiFi signal to escape the cameras.  That's a lot of technology, risk and effort just to loot my truck.

I think I can cost-justify $50.00 / month so I'm starting to REALLY like the idea of this device.

Thanks!