Question

When will 'advanced' features for the new gateway be available?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I would like to use Port Forwarding, IP Reservations, and be able to rename devices in the device list.  None of this seems available with the 5G21-12W-A (New Nokia gateway).

When will these be available, if at all?

Feels like a case of “newer is not always better”, as the old gateway, as far as I can tell, supported these features.  :confused:

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Follow up - I may need to bring back my router now because of this, but I see no way of disabling the WiFi sigals on the gateway either… is that possible?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Log into the web interface.  Select network. Step through the SSIDs in 2..4 and 5. Look for the setting "Enable SSID". Turn each of these off. I think 1, 5, and 9 are on by default.  Make sure you click on save for each SSID you change. This should turn off the wifi. Good luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Log into the web interface.  Select network. Step through the SSIDs in 2..4 and 5. Look for the setting "Enable SSID". Turn each of these off. I think 1, 5, and 9 are on by default.  Make sure you click on save for each SSID you change. This should turn off the wifi. Good luck.

Thanks Steve,

I think ‘Enable SSID’ will show/hide the actual name of the network, but still be in use.  But right below that option was ‘Enable Broadcast’, which should be what I’m after.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I wouldn’t count on any “advanced features” ever being added to these gateways.  I hope I am wrong but if they were meant to be included, they most likely already would have been there from the start.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I wouldn’t count on any “advanced features” ever being added to these gateways.  I hope I am wrong but if they were meant to be included, they most likely already would have been there from the start.  

Thanks syaoran,

I ended up calling support.  The person actually mentioned the initial release was rushed, and it could be in a future firmware update, but obviously made no promises.  Not sure how much of that I really believe though… hopes are not high.

Additionally after further googling and poking around it seems that there’s basically no way to turn the router portion off (yes, Wifi signals can be turned off) and utilize the gateway as a ‘modem’ only, therefore there’s some double NAT issues that may complicate even using my old router with port forwarding. :disappointed:

I have the same issue, the device is great in that it allows me to have high-speed an oddball area, surrounded by fiber and multiple options, only bonded pairs on my street.  BUT, no static IP support, ability to set your own subnet, or DHCP reservations severely limit the devices applicability.

As mentioned above have mine going straight into a good home router/wireless AP and that seems to be working.  If that all works I’ll keep it, if I see issues popping up with double NAT or any other technical quirkiness/goofiness manifests I’ll just send it back and live with my old 30 down and 3 up connection.  Fortunately I don’t have anything that needs DMZ, does anyone still use DMZ? 

I spoke with a manager of the Internet Home Support group and was telling her that I am going to send my modem back and cancel service if NAT and BRIDGE mode were not added as these features are critical to me. She explained that their technical group is working/testing a new firmware update to the Nokia 5G modem and it will include both NAT and BRIDGE mode along with other features. The bottom line is that the next version of firmware will include BRIDGE mode and let you use your own router/firewall and NAT, VPN, etc. She explained that they are aware of the issues and a lot of people were asking for these features and the older model (non 5G had NAT). 

Bottom line is that T-Mobile will be releasing a new firmware shortly and it will have all the features people have been asking for. Since that is the case, I am going to keep it and be patient and wait for the next firmware. I am going to keep the service because not only does the modem have a battery backup for power outages it also will have A LOT less outages due to cable cuts, junction box issues, etc that Spectrum, Cox and other providers deal with. 

Since T-Mobile is using it’s 5G tower structure to provide the service the chances of an outage for any significant length of time is slim to none. I expect the reliability to be incredible when compared to cable providers. I will gladly trade reliability for a little bit of speed I rarely use (except when uploading large files). 

I am personally just going to wait for the firmware update and move off Spectrum. The last Spectrum outage I had I ended up waiting 4 days for a tech to come to my house to fix the issue. I expect with T-Mobile that a network outage will rarely ever happen and the worst case scenario is the modem fails in which they ship me a replacement (Very rare for equipment to fail these days). 

So up to you if you have the patience to wait for the firmware. I can’t imagine it will take that long. I think the T-Mobile service is just going to continue to get better and I love the concept and the fact I can bring the hotspot with me anywhere I go if I want. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Features needed/corrected:

• UPnP (if folks want to continue to use this as a router/firewall)
  • Ability to turn wifi radios off with simple click (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)
  • IPv6 prefix ID requests (/56, /48 perhaps)
  • Bridge Mode (I would prefer to use my own router/firewall solution)
  • 192.0.0.1 double hop corrections
  • ECN support for both egress/ingress
  • *if it runs OpenWRT* - provide us with administrative access with recovery modes (here)
  • fewer hops on route to our CE from PE (more currently than mobiles being tethered)

BE INVENTIVE!

!!! Design a way for routers/firewalls to be able to get SQM functioning properly with ingress by enhancing the OpenWRT SQM scripts to introduce a ‘prioritization bandwidth augmentation’ technique that gets signaling with maybe a protocol or packet that describes the bandwidth change for us !!!

You have some of the smartest engineers working with Nokia engineers designing this stuff… figure it out, trademark it, i don’t care.. or opensource it and give it the world to make it a better place.  Hell.. called the “TMobile Prioritization Protocol”.. something.

:flag_um: + :flag_fi:  + :flag_de: = :atom:

Bridge mode is a must for me.  I’m patiently waiting for a firmware upgrade.  I have a high end ASUS mesh system.  Had to turn it into an access point with the TMO 5g router.  Essentially lost a lot of functionality in the router because of this.  TMO needs to realize this router/wifi will not cover larger homes and deploy a firmware update to turn on bridge mode.  Don’t try to compete with the ASUS’s of the world.  They also have a problem with how the router locks on to your location.  I’m in Cincinnati but the router’s IP thinks i’m in Philadelphia.  Was interested in Tvision until the location issue showed me Philly local channels instead of Cincinnati.  Support acknowledged this and said they are working.  Quick suggestion engineers… use my billing zip code for my location!

I spoke with a manager of the Internet Home Support group and was telling her that I am going to send my modem back and cancel service if NAT and BRIDGE mode were not added as these features are critical to me. She explained that their technical group is working/testing a new firmware update to the Nokia 5G modem and it will include both NAT and BRIDGE mode along with other features. The bottom line is that the next version of firmware will include BRIDGE mode and let you use your own router/firewall and NAT, VPN, etc. She explained that they are aware of the issues and a lot of people were asking for these features and the older model (non 5G had NAT). 

Bottom line is that T-Mobile will be releasing a new firmware shortly and it will have all the features people have been asking for. Since that is the case, I am going to keep it and be patient and wait for the next firmware. I am going to keep the service because not only does the modem have a battery backup for power outages it also will have A LOT less outages due to cable cuts, junction box issues, etc that Spectrum, Cox and other providers deal with. 

Since T-Mobile is using it’s 5G tower structure to provide the service the chances of an outage for any significant length of time is slim to none. I expect the reliability to be incredible when compared to cable providers. I will gladly trade reliability for a little bit of speed I rarely use (except when uploading large files). 

I am personally just going to wait for the firmware update and move off Spectrum. The last Spectrum outage I had I ended up waiting 4 days for a tech to come to my house to fix the issue. I expect with T-Mobile that a network outage will rarely ever happen and the worst case scenario is the modem fails in which they ship me a replacement (Very rare for equipment to fail these days). 

So up to you if you have the patience to wait for the firmware. I can’t imagine it will take that long. I think the T-Mobile service is just going to continue to get better and I love the concept and the fact I can bring the hotspot with me anywhere I go if I want. 

I really hope the manager who told you that was correct! These advanced features are a MUST for my network.

Userlevel 3
Badge

the fact I can bring the hotspot with me anywhere I go if I want. 

Ummm, you might want to read the TOS that you signed. You cant take your modem everywhere with you, actually says pretty clearly that you can’t and it’s against the TOS. The reason why is that if people are just moving their modem all over town there is no way for TM to be able to know what kinda traffic to expect on what towers. So, yea, you might want to be careful with moving from one address to another as that could result in penalties.

• Uses a fixed wireless device (provided for use in a fixed location) at a location or address other than the one provided at activation.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Battery backup doesn’t run WiFi, just allows you to an area with better reception. WiFi is broadcasted when it’s plugged in again. That’s why when you unplug it, it reboots… to turn off WiFi broadcasting. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I haven’t seen any plans for advanced features being included for this or plans to include it later. Sorry my friend.

Okay. Here it is 5 months later. Firmware version 1.2101.00.1609.

❌ NAT mode

❌ Bridge mode

❌ Port forwarding

❌ IP Reservations

❌ Rename devices

❌ UPnP

❌ Ability to turn wifi radios off with simple click (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz)

❌ IPv6 prefix ID requests (/56, /48 perhaps)

❌ 192.0.0.1 double hop corrections

❌ ECN support for both egress/ingress

❌ *if it runs OpenWRT* - provide us with administrative access with recovery modes (here)

❌ fewer hops on route to our CE from PE (more currently than mobiles being tethered)

❌ Ability to assign custom DNS addresses (set at client level?)

❌ Ability to define custom IP address ranges/starting address(es)

Doesn’t look like progress to me😐

What new routers don’t need bridge or NAT.  In PC magazine review he mentions some routers don’t need to have Bridge or NAT option to work with TMobile modem router

Is this going to ever happen? Now im reading of leaks of a new 5G Modem/Router…

going to be sending this back very disappointing 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Is this going to ever happen? Now im reading of leaks of a new 5G Modem/Router…

going to be sending this back very disappointing 

Can you specify what is not working for you why are you sending back what do you need?

I am doing everything I was before no issue everything in my home works no issue all smart devices cameras xbox it so what of yours is not working I am curious.

Can’t VPN to work. Can’t change device network settings at all. I’m the I.T. guy at work, and I can’t make this work. 

Cheap hotspots are more configurable than this device that’s ostensibly intended to accommodate the diverse needs of people’s domiciles; the lack of reliable and flexible support for remote connectivity coincides with the time of greatest need in the market for that kind of functionality.

A remarkable unforced error by T-Mobile.

A remarkable unforced error by T-Mobile.

Yeah, its almost a deal breaker for me, but at half the rate Comcast wants, I’ll find a way to survive. I like how the question here is asking about “advanced features” . These “advanced features” have been around almost since I first got a cable modem back in the late 1990s.  There’s nothing advanced about them at this point yet somehow T-Mobile doesn’t think they’re needed for internet service. *eyeroll*

Userlevel 2
Badge

I haven’t seen any plans for advanced features being included for this or plans to include it later. Sorry my friend.

👎What an epic fail.

I’m back because I hate Comcast so much but I forgot how crappy these gateways are… then they send me some new thing and it’s even worse than the last one. 😐. Cripes.