Question

Which side of the 5G gateway should be pointed towards the tower?

• 17 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

There is a video on youtube that shows the 5g gateway taken apart. This shows that there are four 5G antennas located around the gateway pointing in different directions.

When we talk about moving the gateway and turning it towards the tower to get the best signal, what exactly are we pointing towards the tower?

When I first got the gateway and spoke to T-Mobile support, they said the tower was directly east and to point the T-Mobile logo in that direction. Now I’m wondering why the T-mobile logo should be pointed in that direction if there four antennas around the unit.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

There is a video on youtube that shows the 5g gateway taken apart. This shows that there are four 5G antennas located around the gateway pointing in different directions.

When we talk about moving the gateway and turning it towards the tower to get the best signal, what exactly are we pointing towards the tower?

When I first got the gateway and spoke to T-Mobile support, they said the tower was directly east and to point the T-Mobile logo in that direction. Now I’m wondering why the T-mobile logo should be pointed in that direction if there four antennas around the unit.

It really does not matter as all sides have antennas. What you should do is place it as you want and then test speed and reading and rotate it a little test again keep doing this find the best rotation. You should not have to rotate it more then ¼ in each direction note the best leave it there.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I agree.  Place the modem where you think you’ll get the best access to the tower.  Once I found my tower on Google Maps I was able to use the distance measuring tool to figure out the best corner of my house to put it in.  One there, I watched the signal strength in the web admin while I would make 45 degree rotations.  The speed tests I ran also help and I would see 200 Mbps at the worst angle and 400 Mbps at the best angle.

That’s the magic of MIMO.  It will take the signal from the four antennas and maximize the received signal.  It can take advantage of multi path that can wreck the signal on a single antenna and use it to advantage.  There is really serious number crunching going on to do that.