Solved

Why doesn't my home internet work on battery?

Badge

So TMobile internet is awesome and have no complaints there but for some reason I need to have it plugged in to an outlet or else no one can be online, this is an issue because it later has to be unplugged to let it cool or else it begins to overheat, is there something I can do to fix it?

icon

Best answer by tomwil 29 June 2021, 16:21

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

So TMobile internet is awesome and have no complaints there but for some reason I need to have it plugged in to an outlet or else no one can be online, this is an issue because it later has to be unplugged to let it cool or else it begins to overheat, is there something I can do to fix it?

According to the T-Mobile gateway manual :

During battery operation, neither Wi-Fi nor Ethernet connections are supported.

There are several threads on here dealing with overheating, and the use of fans.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Adding a cooling fan will help with your overheating issue.

It sounds to me like your device is defective. Not only does my internet stay connected while it's only on battery power but my device doesn't overheat at all. I'd recommend contacting t-mobile about a replacement device.

Same issue as others on here my home internet won't work unless it's plugged in the whole time and it gets hot , will definitely stop by t-mobile!

It sounds to me like your device is defective. Not only does my internet stay connected while it's only on battery power but my device doesn't overheat at all. I'd recommend contacting t-mobile about a replacement device.

This is odd considering the manual even says it doesn't work on battery only for Wi-Fi or ethernet. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The battery in the Nokia gateway is really only used for setup and backing up any settings you might have changed in case of power failure. It won't broadcast SSIDs or let you connect to it if it is not plugged in. 

So if power goes out for a bit you have no internet? Maybe that could be fixed with an update. Out here in east Texas power might go down for a bit but it would be nice if internet stayed working for an hour or so.

My Wi-Fi router doesn't work unless plugged in. 

It shows it has 3 bars of service still but says 

0 devices connected.

Why? What is the point of the battery if it's not gonna work off of it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

My Wi-Fi router doesn't work unless plugged in. 

It shows it has 3 bars of service still but says 

0 devices connected.

Why? What is the point of the battery if it's not gonna work off of it?

The battery is only used to position the gateway for the best cell tower reception, and not for wifi service.

T-Mobile Nokia Gateway Manual , page 10 and page 41.

Happy, and sad, to read this thread. Just lost power and work from home, was under the impression from TMobile sale That this unit ran on battery specifically for this situation. :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Happy, and sad, to read this thread. Just lost power and work from home, was under the impression from TMobile sale That this unit ran on battery specifically for this situation. :(

An Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) can supply power to your gateway during a power outage, for hours depending on the capacity of the UPS.  It can also offer surge protection.