Question

Why not participate in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)??

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am a T-Mobile Home Internet user and was getting benefits from the EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) which ended this month. I was eligible to continue benefits under the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) but then found out that T-Mobile has chosen NOT to participate in this new program. I am being told I need to switch my service to Metro or Assurance (which require a phone line to get Home Internet). I’m not interested in switching my accounts, but if I have to-  I won’t be going to one of their subsidiaries, I’ll move to AT&T or Verizon (both supporting their customers by participating in the ACP. 

WHY is T-Mobile not choosing to participate in the ACP?? 
Why is T-Mobile choosing to NOT support their customers in a time of need?  

28 replies

I just joined T-Mobile & I checked on their participation in the ACP & found this statement: https://investor.t-mobile.com/news-and-events/t-mobile-us-press-releases/press-release-details/2022/TMobile-Brings-the-Federal-Affordable-Connectivity-Program-to-More-Customers-with-FREE-Wireless-Service-at-Metro-by-TMobile/default.aspx .

Have you applied through the T-Mobile process & been denied? If so, maybe I won’t bother doing it myself.

Userlevel 1

Yes, it seems T-Mobile is only providing the ACP benefit through their sister/subsidiary companies Assurance Wireless and Metro by T-Mobile. I too don’t understand why they are refusing to provide the ACP benefit to customers directly with T-Mobile. They’re customer service team is also still uneducated and uninformed about the program and the fact that T-Mobile is not providing it to direct customers, which adds to the annoyance of the already lacking customer service provided by their representatives (Eunice & Stacy were mine). Seeking help from the customer service will lead to frustration, wasted time, and you getting nowhere. These exact same issues were prevalent in regard to the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB).

It is sketchy at the least and frankly stupid at best that T-Mobile is not providing this program’s benefit to its direct customers.

Verizon Wireless does however provide access to the ACP benefit for its Home Internet service to its direct customers, and once their service is available in my area, I will most definitely be switching. 

Do better, T-Mobile. This experience has been pathetic.

Userlevel 1

Yes, it seems T-Mobile is only providing the ACP benefit through their sister/subsidiary companies Assurance Wireless and Metro by T-Mobile. I too don’t understand why they are refusing to provide the ACP benefit to customers directly with T-Mobile. They’re customer service team is also still uneducated and uninformed about the program and the fact that T-Mobile is not providing it to direct customers, which adds to the annoyance of the already lacking customer service provided by their representatives (Eunice & Stacy were mine). Seeking help from the customer service will lead to frustration, wasted time, and you getting nowhere. These exact same issues were prevalent in regard to the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB).

It is sketchy at the least and frankly stupid at best that T-Mobile is not providing this program’s benefit to its direct customers.

Verizon Wireless does however provide access to the ACP benefit for its Home Internet service to its direct customers, and once their service is available in my area, I will most definitely be switching. 

Do better, T-Mobile. This experience has been pathetic.

I totally agree. My experience with T-Mobile has been far less than acceptable. I was told by 3 different reps of T-Mobile that they accepted the ACP but once I switched to them for service I was told by yet another CS rep that they do not. I was formerly with Xfinity who DOES accept ACP and was counting on that monthly discount when I switched to T-Mobile. I was told by yet another rep yesterday that “the government will not allow them to participate” which is obviously a lie. What I was told I was getting for a package deal was not what I got. There are 15,696 complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau (and there will be one more shortly) and I fully understand why - they do not care. I cannot recommend them for anything. As soon as my phone is paid for, I will be switching to a company that has integrity. 

Userlevel 2

I am a T-Mobile Home Internet user and was getting benefits from the EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) which ended this month. I was eligible to continue benefits under the new Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) but then found out that T-Mobile has chosen NOT to participate in this new program. I am being told I need to switch my service to Metro or Assurance (which require a phone line to get Home Internet). I’m not interested in switching my accounts, but if I have to-  I won’t be going to one of their subsidiaries, I’ll move to AT&T or Verizon (both supporting their customers by participating in the ACP. 

WHY is T-Mobile not choosing to participate in the ACP?? 
Why is T-Mobile choosing to NOT support their customers in a time of need?  

I totally agree..T-mobile need to step it up and think about the customers first because im bout to step out

Userlevel 2

The ball is in your court T-Mobile..do something to help your customers #1

Userlevel 1

I totally agree with you. They also told me I would have to switch service to one of their sister companies to get ACP - because the government would not let them offer the service. True? Not. If I switch, I have to pay extra to get out of the program I’m currently in and cannot afford to at this time. As soon as this program is done, I will go with a more reputable company (T-Mobile has almost 16,000 complaints against them with the BBB) that cares more about their customers and will be honest enough to put the programs in writing so that the customer knows exactly what they are getting for the money instead of a lot of promises. Signing up with T-Mobile has been a nightmare and is still ongoing. They apparently wanted to get the One+ phone out so fast that they did not inform their agents and techs about it or give them proper training. I’ve had probIems with this phone since day 1and now have to travel 50 miles round trip to get it fixed or replaced. I could only recommend T-Mobile to someone I greatly dislike. 

Don’t take my word for it but it appears like Verizon’s home internet (direct competition) is accepting ACP. I don’t relish the idea of making the change but so far it looks like it’s worth considering. It’s easier for me since I have no coverage worries.

Userlevel 1

Fidium also accepts it. There are 20 internet companies that do accept it. Verizon is not available in my area. 

Never heard of them. Fibium is fiber which is usually problematic (permissions, etc.) for city apt dwellers and only available in 5 states. Not available here. I’m only referring to the cheapest most comprehensive wireless in direct competition with T-M intended strictly for home use.

I am extremely upset that T-Mobile is not offering the ACP program for their home internet checked with Metro by T-Mobile and they wanted $49 to hook it up and I also had to have phone service through them I am perfectly happy with my current phone provider not going to switch I have had T-Mobile home internet for a year and a half and was very happy with the service till now I will be switching to Verizon home internet as soon as it's available in my area because they do offer the ACP program to their customers it's a shame that T-Mobile's treating their customers like that

Userlevel 1

Metro is the only one I found that charges a fee to accept the payments from the government. In addition to that problem, I also did not get the $50 rebate from T-Mobile that supposedly came with my package because they said I have to APPLY for it in the first 30 days. It was not written anywhere and no one told me that until it was too late so I doubt they paid it out to very many people. T-Mobile’s internet goes down regularly so I will be taking that back as soon as Fidium is hooked up. Boy, they really know how to take care of their customers - NOT!

I remain with T- M in spite of their attitude and service only because Verizon  can only guarantee a 2-3 year lock on their tier prices. That scares me a bit even tho I couldn’t trust T-M to even watch my plants. I’m in a concrete and steel building in a concrete and steel neighborhood so can’t expect anything from a provider but stable price. I’d go with Verizon in a NY minute if I didn’t expect they’d potentially eventually gouge me. Waiting for T-M to screw me over and make my the fool

Chatted with T-Mobile early this morning asking about their internet. Told them I was on the ACP program and was told I must go to a metro store or call metro cs. I called Metro and was told yes I can get the internet with my ACP benefit as long as I switch phone service to them.

I guess the big wigs at T-Mobile need the money. I’ll stay with Comcast till I locate another company who wants to retain their clients. Maybe if we hurt their profits they’ll rethink this idiotic choice.

Comcast? One of the biggest hungriest sharks in the tank.

That’s what I hate about gov support like this. It’s put in private sector hands who immediately turn it into a business opportunity such as locking you in, bait and switch, a cycle of escalating surprise tack-ons, etc. This has little to do with helping the needy and more to make administrations look better while handing over undeserved funds to corps who care only about consumers as leverage, bait and for appearances. These “airwaves” are supposed to be the public’s and for the benefit of all, not to build multi billion $ corps and certainly not campaign payback.

I’m so very disappointed in T-Mobile.  I recently received their 5G Router and it is the best internet service that I have had in the 20+ years that I have lived at my current address.  Before this, I had the best service ever, but it was less than 25% of the 5G service -- that was using a Hotspot on a cell phone and line used strictly for this purpose.  Now I have been approved for the ACP -- never mind!  That would have been so much help.

All the reps would tell me was that Metro by T-Mobile was available.  It turns out that they only offer 5G service on mobile phones.  NOT!!!

I am a senior, senior citizen and really thought that T-Mobile cared more than others.  My mistake!

PS to the above:  Verizon is not available in my area.

I’m also a senior, senior citizen who has to sniff out deals just to survive. Gotta love how all these guys continue to corrupt the idea of public airwaves. To add a little fuel to the fire, I personally believe it will be getting worse for us as TMo and SpaceX finish linking up. Bet we’ll pay dearly for that one, contrary to their current rhetoric.

TMo is insufferable. The hoops I had to jump through just to get back here to post. They’ll continue to claim it’s in the name of security but really it’s just shifting the blame.

I was on acp with my old plan if tmobile doesn't participate going back to my old cell phone plan tmobile is the only internet provider in my area

It’s beginning to become a moot point for me here. For the last few weeks my connection is down to dial-up speeds or worse for many hours during the worst time of day. Pages may not load or my browser claims the connection’s broken, often while I have a download in progress from another site. I’m reading where a ton of TMoHI customers are having the same complaints. Home Internet is becoming unworthy, ACP or not. I‘m stuck with this and have no positive options to offer.

OMG.

Thanks for the information and replies. As a ACP

Member. Xfinity.com/IE  i am approved to receive the

$30 credit for there service $29.95.

Is it worth it to keep phone service with my current t-Mobile plan an swith my t-m internet home service to xfinity/acp.  (Free).  How would this work?

Screech screech... Thank all of you for the info... I'm on the fence now between

I was surprised that the daughter companies, Metro by T-Mobile and Assurance Wireless both participate with Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) but the parent company T-Mobile itself does not participate. Then to find out all the major carrier and most minor carrier competitors participate made me wonder why T-Mobile, who I have been with for years, was not part of this program.

When I asked while on the phone with them, the woman was confused by this as well adding it made no sense to her. She even went as far as asking her supervisor who had no answer for it. They did put in a request ticket for me for clarification on the question. If the ACP would eventually be implemented by T-Mobile at some point in the future. 

Yeah this is ridiculous that they don’t offer it. No reason not to.

Badge

Metro requires that you have phone service with them to get the internet. The representative that I spoke with at the store said the cheapest phone plan would be 40 dollars a month. So I have to spend 40 more to get a 30 dollar discount? 

I am a 66yr. old disabled vet. Was paying $25 for Spectrum internet, with ACP. Where I am now is within Austin city limits where Spectrum boasts of 100 per cent coverage. Not here. T-Mobile is the only game available. Customer service told me that the gov't only offered ACP to some companies and not others. Is this the new policy, lie like a rug, blatantly and often. I am on a "waiting list" for the unlimited plan for $50. Meanwhile I pay $75 for 150 gigs. Basically 5 hours day, per month with no roll-over, of course. I ever find a male employee of T-Mobile, I believe I'll slap the crap out of them and say " Oh, I was just shooing a fly on your face"