Question

wifi box

Badge

How can I get a new WiFi box, my box doesn’t work when it is unplugged as said on the box.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

If you are referring to the Nokia 5G gateway - silver cylindrical “box”, it will not function as a gateway or router when unplugged from power. The battery is only used to show signal strength so you can move it around the house for best signal location. Once you find the best location and plug into power, it will reboot and begin to operate as a gateway and router.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I looked at my gateway box, and I could not find anywhere that said it would operate solely by battery. As Cali Cat said, the battery is only so that you can move the gateway around and check the # of bars reception without plugging it in and waiting for a reboot.  On the other hand, the number of bars are often not a good indication of the service you’ll receive at a specific location in your home.  I get two bars everywhere in my house, but my signal metrics and broadband speeds vary widely, depending on the location in my house. The best way to check out locations is to plug it in at a location, let it boot up. and do speed tests and check the connection metrics via the webUI.