Question

Wifi extenders

• 8 January 2021
  • 29 replies

Badge

Can someone help me out.  Can anyone refer me to what kind of wifi extender I should be looking for.  Sorry. Not very computer literate much less wifi. I was looking at the eero mesh wifi router on Amazon, but before I spend that much money on something I want to make sure it would work with TMobiles wifi.  Cannot find any info about this eero mesh. Any help or suggestions for other systems is greatly appreciated.

29 replies

Can someone help me out.  Can anyone refer me to what kind of wifi extender I should be looking for.  Sorry. Not very computer literate much less wifi. I was looking at the eero mesh wifi router on Amazon, but before I spend that much money on something I want to make sure it would work with TMobiles wifi.  Cannot find any info about this eero mesh. Any help or suggestions for other systems is greatly appreciated.

The Eero Mesh system is it’s own network by default. Basically the Eero system will have it’s own network & password with it’s own built in security, if you plug it  into the TM gateway Eero system input port (usually the yellow T5 network plug) There are ways to get extra fancy and modify the WiFi devices into Access Point mode (AP mode) so that the WiFi system you plug in, just extends the gateway systems, but that process varies based on the manufacturer, and I am not that savvy.

I'm having trouble getting my Wavlink Wifi Extender to work with my T-Mo Nokia Gateway in repeater mode (to provide a strong wifi signal in the garage). I can get the repeater to connect to the gateway just fine, but it won't connect through to the internet. It seems the gateway won't assign an IP address to the repeater. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I'm having trouble getting my Wavlink Wifi Extender to work with my T-Mo Nokia Gateway in repeater mode (to provide a strong wifi signal in the garage). I can get the repeater to connect to the gateway just fine, but it won't connect through to the internet. It seems the gateway won't assign an IP address to the repeater. Any suggestions?

In the phone app under devices you can see if it’s there and see the IP address. When I use my I need to switch  on it because the extender add (ext) to my  SSID. a real pain. I am now using the Google Ness 2200 (the deal with T-Mobile has) and it’s working well for me.

Badge

You want to use as few extenders as possible. Every one slows your network down.

I’m in the middle of a free two week trial with T-Mobile Gateway. Things seem to be going well, but I’m thinking about hooking up Netgear’s Orbi Mesh Extenders. I have outdoor screened-in lights, ceiling fan and a garage door camera that needs to be on the 2.4GHz. I’m thinking I may need something that strengthens the signal. But after reading your comment I’m confused. Mesh extenders slow the WiFi connection?